For the optometrists here

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

sparky

For the optometrists here

Post by sparky »

So I had PRK surgery 6 months ago. It went well, except when I focus on a front sight, I have a slightly fuzzy ghost/double image of it. While I have a very small bit of corneal haze in my dominant eye, my eye doc says that this problem isn't due to corneal haze, but rather because I now have a slight astigmatism.

I have a set of Knobloch shooting glasses. How hard would it be to have a an optometrist make a corrective lens for lens holder for my shooting glasses?

Can anyone recommend someone in the Northern Virginia/Greater Washington, DC area?
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Sparky:

Sorry to hear about your experience.

Did your eye care provider not discuss this side effect with you prior to PRK?

I could be totally 100% off base but my experience might be applicable.

I looked into it myself- and this was communicated to me as a "common but minor" side effect.

When I told them that any "edge effect" under contrasting light/dark conditions would be completely unacceptable, they said "See you later Bye."

It is my imperfect unerstanding (I'm not that kind of doctor) that edge effects of the type you are describing are quite common with just about all of the surgical (including laser) correction procedures- but 99.99% of the population will never notice/won't care therefore it is considered a minor and/or acceptable risk.

I'm not sure if it is related to astigmatism.

The only reason I still wear glasses is because of shooting with iron sights.

Someone with actual knowledge/information care to comment?

I don't want to be a buzzkill here - and I could very well be full of crap (my info comes from two comapnies who do these procedures) - but I tell everyone I can to *specifically* talk about acuity in extreme dark/light contrast situations and "edge effects."

At least two other people who have actually looked into came back and said "Jeeze the laser place said that yep, this was a common side effect but most people don't notice it so they frequently don't mention it specifically."

Anyone have good info on this?
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Since I've never had eye surgery of any type and with out correction I too get a ghost like image of the front sight. My eye doctor has been able to correct it so. I suggest you consult a professional and get their opinion, it will be of far more value than mine and maybe only slightly more important than that of Thomas "Steve Swartz" Jefferson ;)
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

I get a haze and a double image at times with my contact lenses. I have to do a lot of blinking at times and not hold too long at other times. Then there are times I need to wait until my vision to clears while watching my rock solid hold. Come to think of it, after that is when my eyes seem to really water. ;>}

I've been considering Lasik, but I think I need more research before I do that.
Ben
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Freepistol wrote:I get a haze and a double image at times with my contact lenses. I have to do a lot of blinking at times and not hold too long at other times. Then there are times I need to wait until my vision to clears while watching my rock solid hold. Come to think of it, after that is when my eyes seem to really water. ;>}

I've been considering Lasik, but I think I need more research before I do that.
Ben
Your eyes aren't watering those are tears of joy.