Exception to the Rules

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Misny

Exception to the Rules

Post by Misny »

When running an NRA Approved International Match, can there be exceptions to the rules? My thoughts are that we might want to encourage new shooters and not hold them to the rules for clothing, i.e. allow them to use their NRA shooting jackets with straps, etc. If it is announced as being a part of the match program, wouldn't this be ok?
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

The match sponsor must really think about what they want the match to be.

An NRA "Approved" match is primarily used to determine classifications, while a "Registered" match can establish or set national records.

I think if the match sponsor wants to have an approved or registered match, they need to follow the rules as set down in the appropriate rule book.

In the case of the NRA International Rifle rulebook (as well as all the other NRA rulebooks I know of) there is a statement on I think the first page of each:
"Tournament sponsors may not alter these rules. If sponsors require additional rules for special conditions, the additions must be fully set forth in the program for the competition concerned."

I think your question falls under "alteration" rather than "additional".

If a shooter wishes to remove themselves from the competition, and thus not have the scores reported in the bulletin (i.e. basically Disqualify themselves), I as a match sponsor(for a small match), I'd probably have no problem with that. Basically they would be firing for practice/experience. They should probably still expect to pay the entry fee.
The match director R/O should then notify those shooting around that shooter as to dispel any worries of an "advantage"

It can get kinda wierd, as shooters/coaches behind the line may not know what is going on and cause a stir ... on a larger match, say more than a few relays, it's probably best not to even consider it
GOVTMODEL

Re: Exception to the Rules

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Misny wrote:When running an NRA Approved International Match, can there be exceptions to the rules? My thoughts are that we might want to encourage new shooters and not hold them to the rules for clothing, i.e. allow them to use their NRA shooting jackets with straps, etc. If it is announced as being a part of the match program, wouldn't this be ok?
If you want to have an event with relaxed rules, don't have it sanctioned. Put in the bulletin whatever it is you want to do or not do and there won't be a problem.
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

contact NRA competitions division, I had to do that recently to clarify a discussion we had at our local club they were prompt and helpful.

Poole
Misny

Post by Misny »

Thanks for letting me bounce this off you folks. While we want to encourage new shooters and increase participation, we want to allow the more seasoned shooters to have their scores count towards NRA classification. That is the reason for the question. I'll contact the NRA about this during regular business days, but I'm leaning on allowing the new shooters with the unauthorized clothing to shoot for fun only. If they get the bug, they'll shell out the sheckles for a button-up international jacket, and discard their unauthorized footwear and wear thinner clothes.
ky99

Post by ky99 »

I think it is ok in our area to allow a new shooter to use a highpower coat as I did when I first started.What I feel is when you shoot in a highpower coat but without the international style pants and boots you are actually at a disadvantage.I do feel this helps to get some new shooters to try smallbore and air rifle and as there scores are most likely not top tier right off the bat what does it hurt..I also think if someone shot in a highpower coat and won with a score of say 570 in air rifle the second place shooter would have the right to protest and win the protest if it was a sanctioned match.I think the main thing someone who is trying to shoot seriously wants is for the match to be run as close to rules as posible as far as time ,range conditions etc.so they can judge there performance on that day against other matches,someone shooting the match in a high power coat beside me does not affect that.Bottom line is I think that as a new shooter's scores move up they would most likely want to get the correct gear anyway.
Hap Rocketto

Exception to rules

Post by Hap Rocketto »

Ky99,

The NRA Rules state,"Tournament sponsors may not alter these Rules."

So, why not just run an NRA Three Position match instead? Those that wish to shoot international rules will and the 3P rules still allows others to use what equipment they have.

Hap
Ray Odle

Post by Ray Odle »

I assume we are dealing only with 3P smallbore.
At the local level in small tournaments I have never seen the coat or boots made an issue of. We are happy to see new talent.
I haven't seen individual with the improper equipment come close to winning. Do army boots give an advantage over legal shooting boots?
If the straps on the coat are an issue, then have the competitor leave the straps loose or tape them so that they can't be pulled tight.

Has anyone run two tournament on the same relay?
It's more paperwork, but since you want to shoot for NRA Int. classification while opening up to others, then sanction both courses of fire. Let the new shooters compete at 50 yards on the A23 while using the A51 for the NRA Int. match. I would think the timing could be made to work. It's just a thought.
Ray
ADC59

re: Exception to the Rules

Post by ADC59 »

Ditto what Hap wrote. If a sponsor wants to run a smallbore 3-P match with relaxed clothing rules, the brown book of "NRA Smallbore Rifle Rules" should be used- not the NRA International rifle rulebook. The international (A50/A51) target can still be used in an NRA 3-P match.
Alan Carey