trigger feel

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Jack Milchanowski

trigger feel

Post by Jack Milchanowski »

I am brand new to air pistol shooting. I purchased a Morini CM 162 MI. There was a five week wait after ordering the pistol until it came in. I spent quite a bit of time reading everything that I could find on line about air pistol shooting including all the posts here and all the info at pilkguns.

A target trap and blank target was put up at 10 meters. I dry fired quite a bit and have shot only 100 or so pellets trying to concentrate on just focusing on the front sight and trying to make the trigger release a surprise.

I have some confusion on whether or not I should be able to feel the first stage trigger weight or even the difference between the first stage and second stage. I do not feel any difference.

In my reading I have come across the comment to "take up the first stage weight.." by that time my gun has fired. Am I supposed to be able to actually feel this first stage weight?

Thanks for putting up with a new fellows question.

Jack
Come see us in the woods.
www.jemfoto.com
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

It may take a bit of practice until you develop a feel for the trigger.
If you can dry fire the Monrini, set it up for dry fire, then close your eye and concentrate on your trigger finger, as you pull SLOWLY you should notice the 2 stages.

That is providing where you order it from did not dial out the 1st stage.
My Walther was bought used, and the prior owner had dialed out the 1st stage, so it was essentially a single stage trigger. I had to dial the 1st stage back in.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

It sounds like you may need to read the owners manual re: trigger adjustment, and alter the adjustment so you can feel the first stage movement meet the resistance of the second stage. Often times the first stage is set too high and the second stage weight is almost imperceptible.
Remember there are three separate movements. 1. a very minor trigger slack before the first stage. 2. the first stage weight and movement. 3. the resistance of the second stage weight before release.
AAlex

Post by AAlex »

It takes zero practice or "developed feel" to be able to differentiate between 1st and 2nd stages. If you don't - the trigger was set as 1-stage.
jipe

Post by jipe »

AAlex wrote:It takes zero practice or "developed feel" to be able to differentiate between 1st and 2nd stages. If you don't - the trigger was set as 1-stage.
I am sorry, but I do not agree with this statement.

I have seen several beginner AP shooters (especially those who are used to shoot big bore defence pistol like Glock... or revolvers) that encounter problems with the trigger stages and weight of AP pistol that are much ligther.

These people complain that they cannot control the trigger release, that the shot is released without that they feel anything and say that the trigger of their AP was factory wrongly adjusted with a too low weight.

Then when an experienced AP shooter tries the pistol (I did this test myself on demand of such people), he feels no problem at all, and when the trigger weight is measured it is OK according to ISSF AP pistol rules, i.e. it is well set to 500g.

It may take a lot of time/trials before those shooters are able to control well their AP trigger.

This happens more when the trigger is set crisp so that there is little 1st and 2nd stage travel.
Jack Milchanowski

Thanks for the replies.

The pistol came straight from the factory. No adjustment was made by ISS in Fort Worth which is where I purchased the pistol. I am not going to make any trigger adjustments at this time since my knowledge is zero.

I will dry fire more and do it with my eyes closed to try to attain a "feel" of the trigger. I have not shot any other pistol or rifle since my military experience thirty years ago.

In my short period of shooting this new AP I am struck by what I perceive to be a very light trigger. The majority of my shots either dry or live fire are a surprise to me. I still wonder if I am supposed to worry about being able to feel the difference between the first stage and second stage. I suppose that if it is a surprise to me when the trigger fires the pistol I am doing O.K.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

IMHO, even if you are a "combat style" pistol shooter transferring to AP, knowing that there should be a second stage would be enough to make you feel it (if it is there).

I strongly suspect that the trigger is incorrectly adjusted.
Tom Amlie

Post by Tom Amlie »

Next time you have the pistol out look at the springs behind the trigger as you slowly pull the trigger. The one on the right (looking from the front) is the first stage; as you first start the trigger pull it is the only one that moves. You then come to a "stop" where the resistance of the other (second stage) spring is first felt. A tiny bit of additional movement and the gun fires. If you're expecting to feel the trigger "travel" through the second stage as it did for the first stage that may be the problem. As set up from the factory there is probably very little travel in the 2nd stage. Once you hit the resistance of the second spring the smallest movement discharges the gun.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Jack:

Not sure where Sunset is but if you are near the metroplex there are a few clubs (Haltom City, DPC, etc.) where ISSF style AP shooting is conducted regularly.

Shoot me a PM or email leslieswartz@verizon.net and I can hook you up with some clubs.

In addition to getting help with your trigger, club membership provides many other benefits including regular competition and training events!
Jack Milchanowski

Tom--Thank you very much for your explanation. I was able to dry fire and watch the springs and you were exactly right. I saw and felt quite a bit of travel on the first stage spring and then, yes, a hair more and the trigger released. From my reading I thought I was supposed to feel something very distinct and I wasn't.

Steve--I sent an email, thanks! Sunset is about an hour and twenty minutes drive north of Ft. Worth and about an hour south of Wichita Falls.

Come see us in the woods!
Jack
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Jack Milchanowski wrote:From my reading I thought I was supposed to feel something very distinct and I wasn't.
You should be able to feel a stop at the end of the first stage, especially as you are expecting it. If you can't then the trigger is incorrectly adjusted.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Jack:

I've probably driven by/through on the way to Palo Duro, Caprock Canyon, etc. We are starting up an air club in Denton this fall; have some folks interested in training/shooting club matches and eventually PTOs. We would be closer than Oke City (the next closst regular club/match activity to the metroplex).

My recommendation would be to echo what others have said- you might want to put some more weight on that second stage. Leave the first stage alone for now; just add some second stage weight for the time being. This will put your total weight well over the legal limit but that's not a bad thing!

Welcome to the sport . . . it has the worst parts of Golf and Bowling combined!!!
Jack Milchanowski

Steve---Please keep me informed of the Denton group. I will be there with flying colors on. Let me know if I can help.