Shot Quality VS The Clock

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Aviator24

Post by Aviator24 »

The other day, I shot a practice 3X10. It was the first one of the summer, although I have been practicing the positions alot. Scores were ok, and there are a few mistakes easy to fix. I found that the clock ticking really threw off the quality of shots. Standing was the worst victim of this... Shooting at a 12 bull target, the switching from column to column takes a bit of time. How should I speed up my shooting without sacrificing the quality of the shot? I don't seem to have enought time to really set my balance, npa, etc, and I end up forcing shots. Bad things happen because of that. Anyone have any advice on this? I'll be vacationing in a place without internet for a week. I will be able to check out the responses when I get back. Thanks in advance.
Shoot well!!
-Haynes
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I'd suggest forgetting the clock to start with and get the technique right first. Then if needed, try and speed things up a bit.

Rob.
WRC

Post by WRC »

You'll simply have to practice getting set up quicker. The clock cannot be stopped, better get used to the pace. Strive to be more efficient and "roll with the punches". (This has a corollary in outdoor shooting where you want to be ready to fire a bunch of shots when the wind condition is right for you.) Getting ready quicker is a great tool for the toolkit, think of it as freeing up more match time. You never know when something goes awry and you need a little more time - this way you will have built it in.
No special tricks, but get mentally, positively, prepared for it. To paraphrase "Don't fiddle, just do!" :^)
rolado

shots V.S. clock

Post by rolado »

First off use your prep time wisely to set up and find your NPA. Secondly you are under a disadvantage doing a 3x10 as apposed to a 3x20 as your time used for sighters becomes a smaller percentage of your available time for each position.
WRC

Post by WRC »

Sorry if this is extremely obvious to you, but a reminder: after you shoot the sighter bull(s) stay in that column and shoot the bulls on top & bottom, since you've already established your NPA for that column. Then move left and right to finish off the target, with only two major horizontal changes in NPA.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

I tend to agree with Rob .... forget about the clock for now and concentrate on making the good shots. Don't take the bad, rushed ones.

In a few weeks begin running some Finals drills... that will most probably increase your tempo enough in standing to get you in under time.

Also .... Rolando's point of using prep time wisely ... you are practicing prep time too, right?

But again, work first on getting the muscle memory back into place, and then the tempo later.
2650 Plus

Being ready

Post by 2650 Plus »

Most of the posts are valid and should be helpful, There is a great story about a shooter at the national matches working very aggresively to insure that he was really ready when the command to fire was given. He carefully observed the range officer on the relay just ahead of his, even timing the rythem of the range commands, Well to shorten the story somewhat, he mounted the rifle and waited, The moment the command was given , he fired the first shot on his relay and immediately jumped of to a seven point lead.Train the way you shoot comps, timer and all and above all do not over prepare. Good Shooting Bill Horton
RobStubbs

Re: Being ready

Post by RobStubbs »

2650 Plus wrote:Train the way you shoot comps, timer and all and above all do not over prepare. Good Shooting Bill Horton
I disagree. Training should be conducted in phases, typically 4. In the early part of training you relearn basic techniques and get that right - so put the clock away. After that phase you can start training for competitions themselves, doing training drills and some match practice and introduce the timing element. The 3rd phase is when you fine tune for the matches themselves and simulate matches most often. Depending on your shooting calender, and when your big competitions fall, will dictate the size of each of the phases. In practice most people kind of merge their training into the time available... Except the very best shooters who normally have very precise plans over the entire year, or longer.

Rob.
Aviator24

Post by Aviator24 »

Thanks for the responses everybody!!! The sailing trip was brilliant! I'd like to get the the opinion of a few people about what another person said, sorry I'm not quoting it at the moment (I've barely slept for a week), anywho, about the 12 bull targets. Is it OK to shoot both the top and bottom of the sighters column? I've gotten so many different opinions on that!!! In prone and kneeling, I'm fine with it and have time, but standing..... different stories. I'll talk to everybody later. For now, I'll get some rest.
WRC

Post by WRC »

Since I was the one writing about the 12 bull targets, I'll reply :^)
What I meant was that, once you have shot your sighters and have an NPA on that column, stay there and shoot your record shots for that column. Either top & bottom, or reverse. Then there's only 2 more NPA changes as you finish off the other two columns. How many sighter bulls you use, is up to you.

Remember, the crux of shooting under time is to stay organized, have things ready before you get to the firing line, and don't fiddle around while time is burning! These points, too, should be a part of your practice. (oh yeah, and do as I say, not as I do - I probably violate at least one of those rules when I'm on the line! :^) Coach Paula
2650 Plus

Which Target is next

Post by 2650 Plus »

Just an opinion but for what its worth, I think you should minimize destrubing the basic position with its npa established so I fire on the top sighter until I am on then shoot the top center record bull, I then drop to the bottom sighter, fire and insure that the zero is holding and then fire on the bottom record bull. Then I move to the bottom right target and work my way up, I am very careful about the relatively large movement to top left where, as the position begins to loosen somewhat, I then go down the left row of targets. What ever works for you can't be wrong. Good Shooting Bill Horton
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Don't go straight for speed. You need good techniqe, or you won't score. I did this many many years ago. I was barely in control, but I was fast :-(

Work on technique and economical movement, speed will come as you get things straightened out. Have a coach watch you, to give you an outsiders view of what you are doing.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Bill,

Once you leave the sighter bulls in international air rifle you may not return the the sighters on that card.

Every shot you shoot in the bottom sighter should be scored as a miss on one of the record bulls.