Polarization

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

BJ

Polarization

Post by BJ »

Recently my outdoor prone has reached a new level for me at which I'm starting to notice how small seemingly insignificant things are affecting my performance. This weekend when I was shooting in the NC State Games some of the very well respected and talented shooters present were talking about polarization and how it affects performance. From the way they were explaining it I understand it as being pretty much like the parallax you have with scope except its not as noticeable. So I'm wondering what exactly polarization does and what its all about? Is it really something serious that I should take into consideration or does it really matter? If its like parallax wouldn't a consistent head position make any problems negligible? Also can you buy just a single polarization filter and add it onto an existing rear adjustable iris?

thanks
Brian
pwh

Re: Polarization

Post by pwh »

BJ wrote:Recently my outdoor prone has reached a new level for me at which I'm starting to notice how small seemingly insignificant things are affecting my performance. This weekend when I was shooting in the NC State Games some of the very well respected and talented shooters present were talking about polarization and how it affects performance. From the way they were explaining it I understand it as being pretty much like the parallax you have with scope except its not as noticeable. So I'm wondering what exactly polarization does and what its all about? Is it really something serious that I should take into consideration or does it really matter? If its like parallax wouldn't a consistent head position make any problems negligible? Also can you buy just a single polarization filter and add it onto an existing rear adjustable iris?

thanks
Brian
There are many aspects of your question I can't answer but perhaps I can shed some light on one. (no pun intended)

If you are talking about an adjustable polarized filter as in, darkening or letting in more light you will need a polarized filter on your front sight and also an adjustable polarized filter on the rear sight. As in, one that can turn and adjust the amount of light filtration which will only work with the combination of the polarized front sight/filter.

If you are simply referring to a polarized filter (as in polarized sunglasses) then I would assume a polarized filter on the rear sight would do the trick whether it be adjustable or not. There are plenty of polarized rear sights but, they are normally used in conjunction with a polarized front sight.

I've never tried one without the other as I got rid of mine simply because I no longer have use for it and I now only shoot 10 meter indoors. Just one polarized filter will have no effect with artificial light but, the combination of both does indeed work(as for restricting light input) with artificial light but obviously is not needed indoors.

~Phil
1813benny

Re: Polarization

Post by 1813benny »

BJ wrote:Recently my outdoor prone has reached a new level for me at which I'm starting to notice how small seemingly insignificant things are affecting my performance. This weekend when I was shooting in the NC State Games some of the very well respected and talented shooters present were talking about polarization and how it affects performance. From the way they were explaining it I understand it as being pretty much like the parallax you have with scope except its not as noticeable. So I'm wondering what exactly polarization does and what its all about? Is it really something serious that I should take into consideration or does it really matter? If its like parallax wouldn't a consistent head position make any problems negligible? Also can you buy just a single polarization filter and add it onto an existing rear adjustable iris?

thanks
Brian
In the simplest of terms, polarizers reduce glare on the target. Reduction of the rear iris reduces the amount of light passing through the sight to the eye, while a polarizer (using the same rear aperature size) will reduce the glare.

Polarizers do not need to be added to the iris. My single stage polarizer actually threads into the front of the sight just like a sun shade.

The difference between using a single or a double polarizer is the amount of transmitted light. A single polarizer has a set amount of transmitted light while a double polarizer can significantly reduce the amount of light allowed after the two polarizers are adjusted relative to each other.

No matter what type of polarizer you use, it needs to be adjusted to maximize it's effect. Many years ago, I was taught how to do this by threading the polarizer into the rear sight and then looking through the sight at the glare on a windshield or chrome bumper. While looking at the glare, start turning the polarizer until the glare is minimized - that is then the correct setting.

Single stage polarizers that thread into the sight are very simple and durable vs those incorporated into a rear iris, which with such features can become rather expensive. Just some additional food for thought.