Kneeling Pulse

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

BartP

Kneeling Pulse

Post by BartP »

I recently put my focus on kneeling and discoverd an active, visible pulse during iron sights. I was able to shoot 97-99s on the indoor international target but not without difficulty. My kneeling as always been strong, but I have never dealt with this amount of pulse. I stuck the scope on the gun to see the nature of the movement (3:30 to 10 o'clock), tried different sling placemnents, and continued to be frustrated until...I found that the pulse was coming from my butthook area (right shoulder).

Two months ago, I bought a new Gehmann Jacket. It's a size 56. I am a very fit, muscular person and the shoulder joint areas of the jacket has always been a bit tight, but could it be this tightness that is causing the relay of the pulse beat or is it simply the placement of the gun on my shoulder? If there is a solution without buying a new jacket right now, I'd like to hear it. If it IS the jacket constriction, I fear that this pulse issue may be interfering with Offhand as well.

Looking forward to y'alls input. Bart
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

I had a similar issue (though not because of jacket tightness).

Try moving the buttplate in just a hair, or going a tad looser on the sling. My position was too tight, and this did just enough to eliminate the pulse's visible effects (effects verified on the SCATT).
seemehaha

Post by seemehaha »

i have found that stretching out the areas where the pulse occurs right before getting in position helps dampen, in not get rid of the movement. in kneeling (even though you said it comes from your shoulder) definitely stretch the quad, hamstring, and calf of the leg you sit on.
Ryan Tanoue

Post by Ryan Tanoue »

If you have narrowed the problem area down to your shoulder then i would check your under garments. Do you wear a sweater of some type? Having more material between you and the jacket (within the rules) will reduce the amount of pulse that gets transfered to the rifle.

ryan
BartP

Kneeling Pulse

Post by BartP »

Hello all, It turns out that the pulse WAS actually coming from TWO places - both the sling arm and the artery under my right arm. The undergarment thickness did the most to correct the problem, stretching seemed to reduce other tensions that may have been at work. I also romoved my hook and added a smaller lip on the bottom of the plate to get some grip but not large enough to reach far under my arm and hit that nasty spot. All this eems to have done it's work, but I feel as though my off the rack jacket just doesn't have enough room in the shoulders to give me exactly what I want. My custom build may simplyt need a custom fitting coat.

Bart

Post by Guest »

If you have an adjustable butt hook, I would reccomend moving the back section of the hook straight so it doesnt push back on your arm. Also, you might want to fool with the angle of the butt hook. I had to move it so it was in line with the rest of the rifle instead of offset to one side. You can also try putting the buttplate closer in to the center of your shoulders on your chest to avoid the brachial artery on the rifle.
As for the pulse on your left are with your sling, do you put your elbow on the inside of your knee or on the outside. I tried moving my elbow to the outside of my knee and it took away any pulse I hade before. I am now hitting consistant 390's in kneeling on the 50 meter ISSF target as apposed to the 380's I was shooting before.

hope this helps

Post by Guest »

I would also try breathing ALOT more up until you squeeze the trigger. It will allow more oxygen into your blood which will in turn keep blood flowing and keep pulse down somewhat
glastra

kneeling pulse

Post by glastra »

I have tried averything you guys have written, except for playing with the hook, and I still [b]seee[/b] a pulse during my aiming...
2 questions:
1. Is it reasonable to expect no movement in this position, just like in prone? In that case I would expect more people be shooting consistently in the 390's range
2. Do you think it could be possible that some of the pulse comes from and inadvertent contact between the abdomen (or chest) and the left thigh?