Advice Needed

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
JrShooter

Advice Needed

Post by JrShooter »

I have been shooting air pistol for about a year, and am doing pretty well. I shoot a Hamerli. I shoot really good in my basement, but when I get to matches my scores go down the toilet. I am getting so frustrated and I don't know what to try next. Any Suggestions?
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

Mental training. You have the physical ability to shoot at whatever level you're doing in the basement. There's no change (past physical location) between your basement and the match.

That means it's all in your head. Do you go to matches with a Score in mind... like "I'm going to shoot a 560!", or an outcome goal "I'm going to take first"? If so, that's part of it. You want Process related goals.... you shoot a 10 (anytime) and say "That's just like me". The only thing you should be aware of is your shot process... rest, visualizing your next shot (a "Perfect" shot), load the pistol, start your shot process.... do you Have a written shot process? If not, it's something you may want to get written in your shooting journal... don't have one of those yet? Time to buy. :) Anyway, you should focus on your shot routine... raising the pistol while inhaling, start exhale while lowering pistol and dropping shoulder, settle on target, FOCUS on the front sight and let the shot break. Then follow through and lower the pistol to start the process again. Scores should never be in your mind. Congratulate yourself on Good shot processes. Note, but do not harbor on bad shot routines.

I'm sure there are a ton of posts in here on mental training and dealing with match pressure. Searching for those will give you insight into things you need to learn or work on.

Past that, it just takes time and experience. The more matches you go to (and the bigger they are), the more you'll learn how to get past the pressure and just shoot. 1 shot at a time... you can't control the shots that have already been fired, nor the ones past the shot you are working on at that instant.

Hope my rambling helps.... I'm certain some others will post more shortly.

Cheers,

Brian
Guest 87

"I shoot really good"

Post by Guest 87 »

"I shoot really good"
How good is it?
Scores?
edster99

My experience

Post by edster99 »

I was shooting in the 540s at the range, and the best I managed was 523 at an open shoot. Then i read an interview with Mick Gault - well known shooter in the UK who has won a shed load of commonwealth medals. His advice was to repeat to himself all the time 'trigger and sights'. I tried it and sure enough i shot 535, then 546 and won my class. Why? I think there are two elements - one it drowns out all the mental jabber about 'how am I scoring - if i get another 45 that'll be a 92 and if i get 2 more of them.... ', etc, etc, and two it focusses you on whats important - your technique. And yes, that means an hour of repeating to yourself 'Trigger and sights, trigger and sights'. Is there anything more important to focus on? All I can say is, it worked for me.

good luck!

Ed
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

What does your training plan consist of?

What do you do to improve yoiur skills?

Steve
JrShooter

Post by JrShooter »

I have been shooting around the 550's in my basement and when I get to a match I shoot in the 530's.
For training I practice as much as I can. I am trying to start a much more serious routine, but I don't know were to start.
Russ

530 or 330?

Post by Russ »

530 or 330?
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

JrShooter wrote:For training I practice as much as I can.
Training and Practice are 2 very different things.

Training often means you are not shooting any pellets, not keeping score in any way.

Practice is what you do to put all of your training together into a cohesive package. My practice still doesn't involve scoring, it involves process perfection.

Sounds to me like you have good natural ability and have hit that wall. It's like being a good student without having to study... it'll take you so far, but the higher you go the less likely you can rely on it exclusively. In school, you need good study skills. In shooting, you need a good training plan, and good documentation.

Maybe Steve will spit out his training plan for us. I seem to remember he only shoots 120 shots a week (two 60 shot matches on the weekends). M-F he does 30 minutes dry firing, 30 minutes RIKA training, 45~60 minutes physical training and I forget the rest. It added up to about 3 hours. that's every day.

Brian
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Brian and All:

Well, since the surgery my intensity has tapered off a bit (!) but I am almost back to where I was previously.

JRShooter, think about what Brian said. Have you ever been involved in any other competitive athletic process? Take football for example- the coach does not just get teh team together for scrimmage day after day. That's not training- that's practice. Practice is good for "locking in" a current level of performance. Practice will *not* help you *improve* your performance.

O.K., so here's some free coaching (worth what you paid of course!). It has been said that in order to improve your performance, you must break the activity down into its individual elements, and then work on imporoving each element in isolation, in combination with other elements, and then holistically.

Starting "at the very top," we could organize our training around Physical Elements, Technique Elements, and Competition Elements. THink of these three as a "pyramid" with Physical Capabilities at the bottom (the foundation), Technique (skills) in the middle, and integrating all together for a competition at the peak.

What subelements would go into the Physical domain?
- Cardiovascular fitness (why/how is this important?)
- Muscular Endurance (why/how is this important?)
- Fine Motor Control/Coordination (why/how is this important?)

What subelements wouold go into the Technique domain?
- Sight Alignment
- Trigger Control
- Acceptance of sight picture
- Stance
- Grip

What subelements go into the Competition Domain?
- Shot Plan
- Match Plan

Build a training plan around all three elements; and fill the time allocated in each element to the respective sub-elements (more on that later). The training plan should cycle through the lelements depending on your overall plan.

For example, leading up to a big competition you would want to focus a lot on Competition Elements (5/10 of your time) and less on Technique (3/10) and Physical (2/10). For a period before that, you would probably want a more balanced level of effort but with a focus on Technique; Competition (3/10), Technique (4/10), Physical (3/10). During the recovery cycle after a big match and leading up to your match prep phase, you might concentrate on the physical and technique sides of things: Competition (2/10), Technique (3/10), Physical (5/10).

Does this make sense as a way to organize your training activities in a very broad sense?

If os, we need to talk about what specific training activities and drills can be used to achieve objectives within each domain.

Steve
JrShooter

Post by JrShooter »

Steve;
It does make a lot of sense. Now I have somewhere to start.
Thanks
JrShooter

Post by JrShooter »

My mistake I've been shooting around 350 at home and 330 at matches.
Patrick Haynes

Another factor in breaking the 'basement champion' syndrome

Post by Patrick Haynes »

Mental training is important and I'd stand behind focusing on performance (shot delivery) versus outcome (score). But, from a very practical level, I'd recommend varying your training environments to prepare for different competitive environments. Let me explain.

When you train, its probably in your favorite lane/position. For the most part, you've sighted in your gun there. You are accustomed to the sound, the lighting, the people (if any). Everything is the same as it has always been. You've experienced success there, and expect the same everytime you shoot.

Unfortunately, there aren't any competitions in your basement. As such, you head out to a match and things change. Lighting is different, so all of a sudden you need to compensate for the change. Then there's the noise: that difference works at a very subtle level. And people talk and walk around you. And the bench is a different height. Etc., etc., etc. Changes abound. Success isn't guaranteed, confidence drops, performance declines. Try as you might, you're not allowed to re-build the range in your basement's image.

Well, since you can't change the the competitive environment, you have to change your training environment. Change it up. First, vary the lighting. If you can shoot from different positions, do so. Put on a talk radio program, especially for something that interests you. Play music. Have people come in and watch you shoot. (This ramps up the pressure a bit and introduces a distraction.) Learn to tune out the differences and focus on your delivery, despite less than perfect surroundings. (This is an especially helpful skill to possess when you're in a 'challenging' range.) Its different everywhere around the world, and you need to learn how to adapt.

To do so, right now, I'm running two types of general practice. (I'm not getting into the semantics of practice versus training. I'm a coach, not an English major.) The first has an emphasis on skill development. The goal is to be able to shoot better. Its what most shooters do. Next, we run simulations, where the intensity in practice is heightened (since we can't lower the intensity in matches). I bring people in, as competitors or as an audience. I announce the value of each shot or project the values on the wall. I impose strict time barriers. The equipment may be declared faulty and require being switched to backup equipment. I may also go to a different range entirely and have the athlete shoot there. While I haven't done this, a coach of mine deliberately changed the sights on my pistol, so I'd have to focus on performance and figure out what changes were needed. (Actually, he didn't change them: he just told me he did, and I kept grouping in the center. Made me work though.)

So, you can make some changes in your training environment which will help prepare you for away matches. The key is to do this often and focus on making yourself adapt to environmental changes. This is a valid shortcut to going through years on competitions (which is what you're at the start of.) And as a junior pointed out to me tonight, adaptation is the key to survival. Just ask Darwin.

Now, Steve has brought out some great training ideas, but, your question focused on the basement-match performance gap. I think that by changing your training environment, your competition scores should improve. At a minimum, it will help you prepare for the future.

I remember a Marine at an instructor's conference: "Train like we fight. Fight like we train!" There may have been a "hoo hah" thrown in there, but the message follows through. Train like you compete. Compete like you train.

With that message in mind, work on the specifics as Steve mentioned, and prepare for your next match.

Good shooting.
Patrick
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

I've just got back from Wednesday night air pistol, where I shot a PB of 505. I've broken (Australian) C grade (500/600) three times before, but have been on a plateau for months, around 490.

I think one thing that made a big difference is that in the last week while training at the range I wrote down my shot plan. Just like everyone always says one should!

I think as a consequence this evening I was much more focussed than usual, and I actually did concentrate on watching my front sight (just like everyone says one should). And because I was focussed, my follow through was better.

I figure if I tell you about it, I might remember it better next time.

(My lessons from this evening included noting that of several flyers, one occurred when I was thinking about my shot plan rather than following it, and another while I was telling myself about watching my sight rather than... watching the sight...)
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

JRShooter:

I'd be interested in helping you with some suggestions for "filling in" the various elements and how to train for them.

What are you currently doing to improve your ability to maintain focus on your front sight (for example)? What are you currently doing to make perfect trigger control totally automatic?

etc.

I have quite a few drills that can be applied to all the various elements outlined in the previous post.

I think what you could do right now would be to simply "map" what you are currently doing aginst the individual elements, and then look for gaps.

If this is tedious for the other participants in the thread, please feel free to email me offline at leslieswartz@verizon.net and I'd be delighted to help you build a "comprehensive training plan."

I actually have a template for organizing your training effort around various "fundamental building blocks" (elements/subelements) that could help.

Steve
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

Steve Swartz wrote:If this is tedious for the other participants in the thread....

I actually have a template for organizing your training effort around various "fundamental building blocks" (elements/subelements) that could help.

Steve
Absolutely Not tedious at all. My knowledge comes directly from trial and error, learning what doesn't work and modifying. It takes a really long time to make much improvement. Being able to short-cut some of that by piggy-backing on someone Else learnings is highly desirable. :)

So post up here. That way future enterprising souls who bother to search can also have that same helpful information.

Cheers,

Brian
edster99

count me in

Post by edster99 »

that sounds good stuff steve - i'm looking for a way of structuring my training so that sounds good to me!
blue62

Post by blue62 »

Steve

Not tedious please post here. as a rifle shooter I think I learn more form you Ed Hall, Bob Horton, and a few of the other pistol shooter here then I do any where else.. so please post more elements of your training plans.
thanks

Dave
Guest TC

Few drills that can be applied to all the various elements

Post by Guest TC »

Steve Swartz wrote:JRShooter:

I'd be interested in helping you with some suggestions for "filling in" the various elements and how to train for them.

What are you currently doing to improve your ability to maintain focus on your front sight (for example)? What are you currently doing to make perfect trigger control totally automatic?

etc.

I have quite a few drills that can be applied to all the various elements outlined in the previous post.

I think what you could do right now would be to simply "map" what you are currently doing aginst the individual elements, and then look for gaps.

If this is tedious for the other participants in the thread, please feel free to email me offline at leslieswartz@verizon.net and I'd be delighted to help you build a "comprehensive training plan."

Steve
Steve.
Can you be kind to all of us .... not for only this JR. student ;)
Post it please!
"Few drills that can be applied to all the various elements & comprehensive training plan"
Thank you in andvance.
Towhidor Choudhury
Russ

This is great offer Steve!

Post by Russ »

Steve Swartz wrote:JRShooter:

etc.

Steve
But I’ll vote for freedom!
We must all have equal rights to chose between “Chinese buffet”(attractive price, service & no tips ;) and VIP room at Upscale Italian Restaurant.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Now *that's* interesting . . .

Steve

[p.s. anyone know how to post files (ppt and doc) to my messages so everyone can see them? I can send a bunch of individual emails but would prefer to make the ind=formation more widely available.]