Air Pistol - Steyr LP1 - Pellet Diameter and Sizing

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
shadow

Air Pistol - Steyr LP1 - Pellet Diameter and Sizing

Post by shadow »

Good Evening

I shoot a Steyr LP1. I have always used RWS R10 in 4.50mm. I took a look at the test target that came with the pistol and it says 4.49. Should I switch to Vogel pellets in 4.49? What impact does a pellet sizer have on the ultimate pellet size? The Vogel info on our hosts site has me a bit baffled because it says that you should use pellets in 53grams. I always thought that 53 was for rifle and 50grams was for pistol.

Thanks to all who reply!

Susan
Fred Mannis

Re: Air Pistol - Steyr LP1 - Pellet Diameter and Sizing

Post by Fred Mannis »

shadow wrote:Good Evening

I shoot a Steyr LP1. I have always used RWS R10 in 4.50mm. I took a look at the test target that came with the pistol and it says 4.49. Should I switch to Vogel pellets in 4.49? What impact does a pellet sizer have on the ultimate pellet size? The Vogel info on our hosts site has me a bit baffled because it says that you should use pellets in 53grams. I always thought that 53 was for rifle and 50grams was for pistol.

Thanks to all who reply!

Susan
Susan,
In case you missed it, you should read this thread viewtopic.php?t=17682&highlight=

The pellet the factory used for test target is NOT an indication that that pellet size is optimum for your pistol.

I use my pellet sizer to size the skirt of pellets I use for longer ranges (>10M). I don't know if it helps, but it makes me feel better. And everyone knows that a happy shooter is a better shooter :-)

Re pellet weight - like head diameter, you will have to shoot groups from a vise to determine what weight is best for your gun.

Fred
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

Pellet size/brand/weight is such a Small issue for pistol shooters that unless you're already fighting for the top national spot, it's probably not even something to worry about.

But if you want to worry, grab as many different sizes, weights and brands of pellets you can get your hands on, lock the pistol in a Ransom Rest (vise), and run some grouping tests. I've done that with my rifle, but then again the ten is a whole lot smaller on an AR target. :) I use "practice" grade pellets. I've not noticed a different between light or heavy pellets (RWS come in Grains, not Grams... so the difference is 7.0 grains and 8.3 grains). I'm currently shooting heavy pellets because I had a whole sleeve left over when I abandoned air rifle shooting.

My pellet choice? purely financial based. RWS are the cheapest I can find on a consistent basis. I pay $6/tin for "practice", and $10/tin for "Match". If someone can point out something cheaper, by all means I'd be interested in knowing.

Brian
shadow

Post by shadow »

Hello Fred and Brian,

Thank you for your reply. After reading your reply I am going to continue doing what I have been doing all along and that is shoot the R10 4.50 pellets. I do not have the time or inclination to test various types of pellets. My time will be better spent on prcatice.

Susan
paw080

cheep practice pellets....

Post by paw080 »

My pellet choice? purely financial based. RWS are the cheapest I can find on a consistent basis. I pay $6/tin for "practice", and $10/tin for "Match". If someone can point out something cheaper, by all means I'd be interested in knowing.

Brian

Hi Brian, if RWS Basics are a suitable practice pellet for you, then they only cost $2.99 a tin.
Tony G
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

shadow wrote:Hello Fred and Brian,

Thank you for your reply. After reading your reply I am going to continue doing what I have been doing all along and that is shoot the R10 4.50 pellets. I do not have the time or inclination to test various types of pellets. My time will be better spent on prcatice.

Susan
Excellent choice.
Rose

Post by Rose »

Steyr UK advise that the best results are with heavier 4.50 rifle (not pistol) pellets. I use JSB 4.50 Match Diablo rifle pellets in mine.

Rose
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

I've found that my LP1 likes heavier pellets as well (H&N Finale Match Glatt). It's still powered by Co2.

All of my testing points toward one important point... Unless you're the kind of shooter that has a score where the difference between a 10.1 and a 10.5 makes or breaks your shooting career, you're far better off to buy a fairly inexpensive pellet, buy lots of them, and spend your time and money shooting rather than worrying about the pellet that's going downrange.