Training Drills

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

blue62

Training Drills

Post by blue62 »

I did a search for trainig drills here on TT and only found three post for training drills in this section of the forum....(lots of references in the pistol sections of the forum) of those three posts none really gave any drills. Just mentioned that they help.

I would like to see members post their favorite drills (mental or physical)
for the standing position (to start with). and then go from there.

Perhaps we as members can create a list of drills that would be of use to those that have little or no access to a coach or any real outside help in developing some good training drills.

Hoping this generates some thought and ideas.

"Sits back in antisipation"
pwh

Post by pwh »

blue62

Post by blue62 »

I can't believe 90 viewings of this subject and only one reply
and that drill was found on my first search.
is this all the imput the members of this foum have?
no wonder smallbore is in trouble in this country
pwh

Post by pwh »

Jeeez! Patience my man! Such is life on a forum site at times. You just posted your question yesterday. Its the weekend and its getting warmer outside. Many people have better things to do than sit in front of their computer all day.
I would like to see members post their favorite drills (mental or physical)
I think perhaps a key word in some of those drills would be.......patience!

~Phil
blue62

Post by blue62 »

Phil

point taken... thanks for slapping me back to reality.

Dave
pwh

Post by pwh »

blue62 wrote:Phil

point taken... thanks for slapping me back to reality.

Dave
I always like to keep a slap or two handy in my back pocket! LOL

In all honesty I would also like to see some peoples favorite drills or links to articles on the like. Think it a great idea.

~Phil
Ryan Tanoue

Post by Ryan Tanoue »

Physical
1. Aiming exercises without shooting coat
2. Dry firing (not just a few times, try 20-30 mins or more each training session)
3. "Up and Downs" setting up and breaking down position repeatedly to improve knowledge of ones position
4. Get outside and practice wind reading
5. Finals training

Mental
1. Goal setting, Goal setting, Goal setting! Be realistic.
2. Create a schedule which includes shooting, work, school and life activities.
3. Work on overall match planning
4. Work on a plan that maximizes training time
5. Work on a plan to prepare for travel, range conditions, food, weather etc for future matches

Hopefully these can get you started
ryan
blue62

Post by blue62 »

Real surprise here, after 355 views there are two sugestions for training drills something of a shock to me. ( although I did also get two PM'S) I thought more people had specific training drills they used to improve there shooting.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

blue62 wrote:Real surprise here, after 355 views there are two sugestions for training drills something of a shock to me. ( although I did also get two PM'S) I thought more people had specific training drills they used to improve there shooting.
They probably do and for whatever reason they may not feel prepared to share them. Don't also forget the majority of shooters think that training = shooting !

I'm predominantly a pistol shooter, so that's my excuse ;-)

Rob.
pwh

Post by pwh »

I'm a little confused as to Physical #1;
Physical
1. Aiming exercises without shooting coat

I have my rifle set up/adjusted for wearing my shooting coat. Mounting the rifle without the shooting coat it of course feels totally different and a tad alien as it were. With that said, what would be the purpose of aiming exercises without a shooting coat when all shooting will be done while wearing the coat? I can full well understand getting in a fair amount of aiming exercises but it would seem to me that it should be done while wearing all of the clothing that you normally wear while actually shooting and that doing otherwise could be somewhat counterproductive. Of course I could very well be wrong in my assumption on this but just chalk it up to one who is relatively new to Olympic style rifle shooting. Just a simple albeit a possible wrong observation on my part.

~Phil
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Phil, the aiming (or what we call "Dry holding") is to help you gain a sense of balance and muscle memory without relying on external support (the coat or pants). After doing this for 20 minutes or so, put on your pants and coat and "dry hold". You should see a difference (and FEEL a difference). Sometimes you will find you have been off balance when using the shooting clothing, but allowing the clothing to support you. Try to get the same balanced feeling with the clothing as you had without it, and you should see your scores have less variation.
pwh

Post by pwh »

Thanks Pat. Makes sense to me being explained as you did. Did my share of center fire pistol shooting many years ago but this is whole different animal. It would be nice to simply pick up the rifle and do some exercises without putting on all the clothing. I'm open to anything and everything.....well, to a point.
Lets just hope an 'ol dog like me at 61 can learn new tricks!

~Phil
blue62

Post by blue62 »

Phil
I do about 20-30 minutes of dry holding (offhand) in my briefs and bare feet. each day. sounds strange I know but it increases my sense of muscle and balance feed back. Then I put on the shooting coat still in bare feet. now any tense muscle stands out. that extra bit of tension in my toes stands out. that little tension in the muscle above the right knee stands out. just seems to give me more awareness and feel for my body.
I do this with my eyes closed about half the time eyes open the other half.
anyway that is one of my drills

Dave
blue62

Post by blue62 »

Rob

yes I think you are correct on both counts.
Dave
pwh

Post by pwh »

blue62 wrote:Phil
I do about 20-30 minutes of dry holding (offhand) in my briefs and bare feet. each day.
Dave
Great....thats all my other half needs to see now. Me standing in my Fruit of the Looms with a rifle in my hand! She is ready to call up the Twinkie farm for a pick up on me as it is!

I'll try anything to gain a better sense of balance. I know for a fact already that mounting the rifle blind is a terrific way to gain a better feeling as it were with the rifle.

~Phi
2650 Plus

Training drills

Post by 2650 Plus »

Make a set of ballance boards and go through the same drill already discussed, The balance boards are mentioned in " Way Of The Rifle " and described in an earlier post. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Snookie

Post by Snookie »

Since the author of this thread keeps referring to the thread views I'd like to point out that those aren't unique views, instead it counts each time someone visits, regardless of how many times they visit. So 10-20 of those views are probably you alone impatiently checking back.

I'm also willing to bet that the majority of those views are people clicking the thread in the hopes that that this thread will offer training drills, rather than you asking for them considering as you pointed out, this forum has few to offer.

That said I have none to offer either, as I'm searching for some as well.

Good luck.
pwh

Post by pwh »

Snookie wrote:Since the author of this thread keeps referring to the thread views I'd like to point out that those aren't unique views, instead it counts each time someone visits, regardless of how many times they visit. So 10-20 of those views are probably you alone impatiently checking back.

I'm also willing to bet that the majority of those views are people clicking the thread in the hopes that that this thread will offer training drills, rather than you asking for them considering as you pointed out, this forum has few to offer.

That said I have none to offer either, as I'm searching for some as well.

Good luck.
Yep, I forgot to mention about that fact. I have owned and run a forum site for years and views mean absolutely nothing. Just a click on this thread by you or me for a quick glimpse counts as a "view" but does not necessarily mean one is giving it anything more than a cursory glance.

~Phil
blue62

Post by blue62 »

Snookie
if you do a search for training drills here on TT you will find a few ideas that are mostly from the pistol shooters. (But they can be adapted to rifle).
The searching is rather tedious. Steve Swartz is one of the fellas ideas that I like. I wish I could get more of his training ideas and drills. I think much of this sport is something one builds for himself!

Good luck
Dave
2650 Plus

Training drills

Post by 2650 Plus »

Please go to avaitor 24 s post referring to George Brenovich set of drills.Mr Haynes titled the post as "Improving position, Muscle memory" This is good stuff and should be on target for your needs. Good Shooting Bill Horton