Money aside, what is the best .22 standard pistol?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Nicole Hamilton wrote:
That said, may I offer an observation: With most brands, you hear people say, oh, I bought this and I love it and recommend it. You don't hear them rattle on about how they went on to buy a bunch more of that same brand. You do hear that from Pardini owners -- all the time! The brand loyalty I notice among Pardini owners is amazing. Pardini owners fall in love with the Pardini triggers and it's like pulling teeth to get them to consider anything else.

Nicole,
I agree with your comments on the Pardini. Let me add that Pardini, unlike some of the other pistol manufacturers, offers a full line of AP, FP, standard, CF, and RF for Pardini lovers to purchase. Pretty good business plan I would say.

Fred
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

No one has mentioned Morini cm22 or cm22rf...any reason ?
nvalcik

RE: Standard Pistol for Collegiate Pistol Team

Post by nvalcik »

Reading the previous posts I can at relay my experience as Captain of two different University Pistol Teams. At UT-Arlington we had 8 Walther GSP's and never had a problem with them. They were very adjustable and really held up well to multiple people shooting them 3 - 5 times a week for the entire school year. That is quite a statement to durability. We had some really good standard shooters that racked up some good scores and we also had some people use these for Free Pistols as well since we only had 4 Morini CM-80's.

At that time we also had 5 High Standard M-107 Supermatic Citations. At that point I preferred to shoot the High Standard and did better with it than the GSP's.

When I captained the UT-Dallas team, we all owned our own equipment. One of our team members owned a Walther GSP (which he still has and placed at Collegiate Nationals with it), I used a Hammerli 280 and a High Standard M-107, one member had a Hammerli 280, one member had a IZH 35 and the rest of the team had a variety of custom Ruger MkII's and High Standards M-107's. I had a lot of problems with the Hammerli 280 and in fact at one point I had to send it back to the factory. The Walther GSP never had any problems at all. We had some extremely good shooters on that team. However one of my best shooters was using a High Standard M-107 and her scores would have been much better with a Walther GSP or more modern standard pistol. Even with the High Standard she still went to Collegiate Nationals.

Currently I use a Walther GSP Expert since I feel they are extremely reliable and the pistol fits my shooting preferences the best.

Sam Houston State University ended up buying UT-Arlington's equipment when that team went under and they also used Pardini SP's. Texas A&M used primarly S&W 41's and they had some really good shooters on their team.

I would say get something reliable that is adjustable to accomodate a variety of different students. For this I really like the Walther GSP Expert.
jipe

Post by jipe »

deadeyedick wrote:No one has mentioned Morini cm22 or cm22rf...any reason ?
The Pardini really dominates the market in standard and RF.

The Morini is a good pistol too but seldom seen.

For the CM22M RF, it is pretty new and few were sold.

I just bought one (its serial number is <50, this gives an idea of the number of CM22M RF sold till now) and till now am very satisfied wity it: it shoot smooth, has a very good trigger, is much less nose heavy than the Pardini and balance can be adjusted by additional weight without making it too heavy since its weight is very low. It is as easy as the Pardini to dismount and clean.

I have tried several ammunitions and never had any issues (no stove pipes, no misfire...) including with very cheap ones like the CCI standard and Magtech standard. So it doesn't seem munition sensitive.

Of course, I cannot say anything about its reliability yet.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Thanks for the information JIPE. Does anyone else have any first hand experience with the Morini cm 22rf ?
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Fred Mannis wrote:
Nicole Hamilton wrote:
That said, may I offer an observation: With most brands, you hear people say, oh, I bought this and I love it and recommend it. You don't hear them rattle on about how they went on to buy a bunch more of that same brand. You do hear that from Pardini owners -- all the time! The brand loyalty I notice among Pardini owners is amazing. Pardini owners fall in love with the Pardini triggers and it's like pulling teeth to get them to consider anything else.

Nicole,
I agree with your comments on the Pardini. Let me add that Pardini, unlike some of the other pistol manufacturers, offers a full line of AP, FP, standard, CF, and RF for Pardini lovers to purchase. Pretty good business plan I would say.

Fred
I can only agree....
i have recently replaced my SP with a new SP NEW
and i have already a HP, a HP NEW and a K2S
i also had a GT9 before but it was replaced by a Sig P210
but i really miss that one, a shame that i could not keep them both.

I can only see two reliable options for the thread starter: Pardini SP-New or AW93
FP10

Best .22 match auto, regardless of cost

Post by FP10 »

The Wiry Irishman wrote:
"Money aside, what is the best .22 standard pistol?"
Well, a perfect .22 match auto does not exist.
But by incorporating preferable qualities present available match .22 autos, we could get closer to that perfect .22 pistol:

¤ Trigger pull of Pardini SP
¤ Trigger adjustability/locking screws of the Morini CM22
¤ Reliability of the Walther GSP
¤ Quality of an Hämmerli 208
¤ Reat sight of the MG2
¤ Recoil softening device of the Pardini
¤ Recoil buffer of the MG2
¤ Simplicity of takedown (for cleaning) like the Morini CM22

I doubt that all these preferable features can be incorporated in a single gun. Regrettably.
But, well, put at least more of them into a future design. My prayer.
FWB90

"Club" Pistol(s)?

Post by FWB90 »

Why not the High Standard 107 Trophy, the Victor, or the 10X for "Club" gun(s)? I had a H.S. 107 Trophy with the short conversion kit, six assorted barrels, six mags, two slides, heavy, and light for shorts, and a pair of "Bowlers Olympc Grips" which were like putting a glove on your shooting hand. The "Bowlers" were made in England and appear to be no longer in business. They'd make a pair of custom grips from a photocopy of your shooting hand that were incredibly well fitted. How, I sure wish I knew. Since I'm digressing, and this is my first letter, back to the High Standards. Mine had over 7500+ rounds through it with no problems at all. Loved it, and like a fool, sold it and all the H.S. gear also for a pittance. "Buy high, and sell low" _was_ my motto! LOL. Later folks.
David Levene

Re: "Club" Pistol(s)?

Post by David Levene »

FWB90 wrote:...........and a pair of "Bowlers Olympc Grips" which were like putting a glove on your shooting hand. The "Bowlers" were made in England and appear to be no longer in business. They'd make a pair of custom grips from a photocopy of your shooting hand that were incredibly well fitted.
Bowlers stopped making grips in the late '90s after the pistol ban in this country.

Their grip-maker, John Cooke, was arguably also one of the finest ISSF pistol shooters the UK has ever produced having made the "clean-sweep" of representing GB internationally in Air, Free, Standard, Centre-Fire and Rapid.

Sadly John passed away in April.