Hello! A New Club, Perhaps....

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Miked

Hello! A New Club, Perhaps....

Post by Miked »

I just joined the Forum. I live in Pocatello, Idaho where I am the Director of the local public library. The Supervisors are forming a pistol shooting team, for fun, and I've been elected Coach because I've been shooting since 1956 (with gaps now and then).

Initially we hope to use Buck Mark pistols -- a local shop has filed a request with Browning (who are located about 90 minutes away) which would allow us to purchase these at a very cut rate.

This is intended to 1) get people interested in shooting who have never shot before, 2) help my staff work off stress by indulging in something completely out of the ordinary for them, 3) do some team building, and 4) well, to have fun and if we get good enough challenge the Police Department supervisors.

Besides, we'd be (as far as I know) the only public library in the US with a pistol team (we're already the only one with a registered cattle brand).

We would be shooting at the Lewis & Clark Range, a local range with both bays out to 100 yards (I myself have shot in meters since 1963) and a firing line out to 650 yards. I thought we'd try at 25 meters first.

I've found CCI Green Tag to be decent ammunition and thought we'd start with that.

There will be eight on the team; one took marksmanship in college and another was once a deputy sheriff.

Suggestions are welcome!

Post by Guest »

Way to go! What you're doing is just great. While I understand this is the Olympic Shooting Forum, you probably should at least consider shooting NRA Conventional Pistol, or, "Bullseye" also. You might want to also post your announcement in the Bullseye Forum here.

There's a bunch of "Approved" NRA 2700 matches in Emmett, Idaho: May 25, Jun 29, Jul 27, and Aug 24. The contact is L Wetzel, 1118 North Dawn Drive, Boise, ID 83713. They also hold NRA Bullseye matches in Salt Lake, but I don't have the info handy right now.

Would I love to see the Pocatello Idaho Public Library Team at Camp Perry someday!
Miked

Post by Miked »

I've been to Camp Perry -- I was on a ship out in Lake Erie and WELL out of the out-of-bounds limits. I've also been past it on land, back when I lived in Ohio.

I have been to the National Black Powder Shoots at Friendship several times, although I've never fired competition there. That's a whole 'nother ball game! (Yeah, pun intended.)

I don't know where this whole thing will go, but it's fun getting there. I also think that at least two of the "never shot before" people have the potential to be very good shots.

When I found this forum I was quite happy, as everything else seems to be "Practical Pistol." I was taught target shooting, by NRA-qualified instructors (at least one of whom was nationally ranked). I had enough of the other in the Army.

Post by Guest »

OK, well, I don't want to take away from our host but you really owe it to yourself and your potential team members to sign up on and introduce yourself to the Bullseye-L List. Go to:

http://www.lava.net/~perrone/bullseye/

It's an e-mail list, so it's not quite as organized as Target Talk. Make sure to do the "digest" version or you'll be deluged with e-mails. On the above web page be sure to check out the link to John Dreyer's BullseyePistol.com. There's an unbelievable amount of information there.

Target Talk offers an excellent Bullseye Page too. Check it often. Again, no slight to Scott intended, but if Bullseye is going to be your competition you'll get up to speed much quicker by introducing yourself to the Bullseye-L List. I would bet everyone who reads and posts to Target Talk's Bullseye page is also on the Bullseye-L list, but not visa-versa.