Will not go bang at every triggerpull...

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
MG2-owner

Will not go bang at every triggerpull...

Post by MG2-owner »

My, in this forum, relatively "famous" MG2, serial # 14XX was returned to me from the importer the other day.
A brand new barrel installed , and the new bolt assembly, featuring the new narrow extractor.
And off to the range we went...

Some improvement regarding reliability was observed during firing: Feeding and ejection more positive. Feeding/ejection-related failure percentage approaching that of some other .22 match autos, one in 100 rounds, or less. A substantial improvement, for this very gun, that is!

Some troubles were experienced, though: The number of misfirings were alarming. The gun did not suffer from that sickness prior to the rebuild. (Blown cases, failing to feed and eject properly were the main issues then.)
The hammer spring is relatively new, it was replaced after (premature) breacage at about 3000 round, - only some 500 rounds "ago". So, I think the hammerspring is not to blame.
Misfired rounds showed surpirsingly shallow firing pin indents. Shallower than indents usually seen at misfired rounds from other .22 autos.
Misfiring rate was say one in 10 with CCI Standard, one in 20 with Eley Pistol and Eley Standard, Lapua Super Club, and S&B Match ammo.

The gun was cleaned, chamber cleaned especially well, firing undertaken again, but same rate of misfirings was experienced.

May I ask my fellow owners of MG2 new versions,, or rebuildt specimens, to forward their experiences and suggestions regarding the misfiring issue?

I noted one new "pecularity"of the returned gun: cycling of misfired round, to eject it from the action was not posible (!) with use of reasonable force only.
To remove the round, I had to pull the bolt rearward, then bend the extractor outward with my finger nail to release the rim of the round, then push the misfired round out of the action with a ballpen.

Life is not easy. Not with a MG2, it seems.
dan17c

Post by dan17c »

It seems your new barrel could have a tight chamber, i had the same trouble with my new mg2rf from the word go it was missfiring with all brands of ammo so i sent it back and they polished the hammer extractor and slightly reamed the face of the chamber and it has not missed a beat since never had any feeding or extaction troubles.
mine does prefer the RWS ammo.
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

I have a rebuilt MG2, than suspect we have very similar specimens. I have the exact same issue of trying to extract a live round from the pistol. My gun functioned very well at first after the rebuild but has recently started to act up again. The hammer seems to follow the slide after a shot (has caused doubles). Since the rebuild, it only seems to shoot RWS well; . Eley, Lapua,etc.. seem to cause malfunctions on a regular basis.

Does your new slide have the narrow extractor, and a ball bearing and slide.

Brian
MG2-owner

MG2 about to behave?

Post by MG2-owner »

Brian James wrote: ...
Does your new slide have the narrow extractor, and a ball bearing and slide.
Brian
"Ball bearing and slide"? Is there a new ball-bearing incorporated in the extracor/slide somewhere? I will go look closer...

My "reputed" MG2, which has caused quite some amusement at my clubs regular outings during two years, managed to fire a full 65 (sixty-five)rounds of CCI Standard ammo this week, without any misfire or jam (!)
My clubmates gathered around me, disbelief written all over their faces..

Well, I said, the MG2 is not a bad gun, when it works well. (Which, it hitherto seldom has...)

Is my "reputed" MG2 about to behave well?
Time will show. I am sceptical.
I´ll keep you posted.
MG2-owner

Your MG2s "doubling" issue may have an easy cure

Post by MG2-owner »

Brian James wrote: ..
The hammer seems to follow the slide after a shot (has caused doubles).
Brian
If the hammer follows the slide forward (i.e. "full auto") the "hooks" of the trigger/sear are not "hooking up" properly.
Try to adjust the "hook"-overlap, that is, made the trigger less "crisp", with a litle bit of creep.

If any of the screws (the two rear ones, especially) of the slide-cover loosen up slowly (they will!), hammer may not hook up properly, following the slide forward.
landb

Post by landb »

My MG2 work very well before the hammer spring broke. After I replaced it the slide would not travel far enough back to pick up a new round but the hammer would be cocked. I was using subsonic ammo but had to go back to standard velocity to cycle the gun. My fix was or still is when I put the gun away I decock it using the dry fire device this leaves tension on the spring . It's been about three months since I replaced the spring and I can't shoot the subsonic ammo reliablly but it's alot better.I think Match Guns made the hammer spring alittle stronger to stop them from breaking.