Gripping the free pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
slinger

Gripping the free pistol

Post by slinger »

I shoot a Hammerli 162E, and recently a friend passed a comment to me while we were shooting regarding grip pressure. I tightened up my grip adjustments to the point where the pistol holds me instead of my hand "squeezing " to hold the pistol. I only had a short time to try this but I noticed right off that my arc of motion APPEARED to lessen . My shots were favorable. Did I stumble into something here that everyone but me knows? Just courious to hear what some of you free pistol GURUS may have to say about this please. I hope my imagination is not running wild here,,,,,,my wife says that happens to me :)
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

A friend gave me similar advice. I readjusted the grip and used filler and sandpaper to get as intimate contact as possible between skin and grip. As you say, it now feels like the grip is clinging to my hand rather than the other way round. Can't say it has decreased my wobble, but it has helped my trigger release.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Oddly enough (not!) you will find several world class record holders who say you must literally use enough pressure to fuse the atoms of your hand into the grip; and a fair number who say as long as your grip is consistent (aided by proper grip fitting) all you need to do is apply more pressure than the trigger force required.

That's a really big difference.

This suggests that the amount of gripping force required is not the key issue; that the key issue is perhaps consistency. Gripping force can improve consistency in a poorly fitted grip. Higher pressure is not required in a properly fitted grip.

Just a couple of things to think about, since "experts will disagree" on this one.

Now as to reducing your wobble area, well, not sure about that relationship- but shifting of the gun in your hand could affect wobble, I guess, yeah?

Steve
slinger

Post by slinger »

My thoughts on the reduced arc of motion is that POSSIBLY since I had decreased the muscle tensions in my hand due to the grip being a bit tighter, this in turn reduced the overall muscle tension exerted and helped me to decrease the WOBBLE.I guess I am wondering at this point if that is possible #1,even though it makes total sense to me. #2 ,hopefully I am on the right track here with the tightening of the grip to my hand. Time will tell for sure.
RB6

Post by RB6 »

use enough pressure to fuse the atoms of your hand into the grip

What does this mean ? Atoms fused to the grip , is this possible? How ?
regards
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

RB6 wrote:
use enough pressure to fuse the atoms of your hand into the grip

What does this mean ? Atoms fused to the grip , is this possible? How ?
regards
This is a slang phrase meaning that one must grip with all the strength one has. Grip so hard that your hand will become part of the wood. I remember seeing bullseye shooters in the 1970s showing me their hands where the design of the grip was impressed in their hands. Ouch!
Ben
2650 Plus

Free Pistol Grip

Post by 2650 Plus »

I do use a very firm grip on the free pistol. With bullseye I grip to the point of tremor then slowly release tension until the tremor stops and shoot with that tension. Reason is for consistancy. I am not sure one can get consistancy using a light grip because light is not the same from day to day. The trigger finger must remain independent from the gripping tensions. Please dont try to tell me that it is imposible to achieve the independent trigger finger because the current national record was set using this technique. Ask Hershel Anderson if you want confirmation. Good Shooting Bill Horton
RB6

Post by RB6 »

Free pistol grips permit minimal to no gripping force if desired. In choosing this method , the trigger finger can be moved easily without sympathic movement of the remaining fingers of the shooting hand. When satisfactory sight alignment is achieved along with stability of the pistol, then the trigger finger touches the 30 gram trigger ( or whatever )
The sights don't move out of alignment in this case. If the grip pressure is increased, then proportionally the trigger finger is restricted in movement including the remaining gripping fingers to sympathically move as well. That's the purpose of the free pistol, no restrictions to the grip forward of the wrist , so that the pistol can be held very lightly allowing the full ability of the trigger finger to press a light trigger. One only has to concentrate on stability and sight alignment .
regards
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Yes, but while a high amount of gripping pressure is not *required* on the free pistol, many top shooters are comfortable with and swear by this technique.

Bill Demarest used to "squeeze the sap out of the grip" (another exaggeration but I believe that is the phrase he used).

I think this is another one of those areas where "personal preference" seems to be important; within reasonable standards of gripping force.

Steve
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

Having shot FP with differing pressures and differing trigger operations (not within the same match, normally), I would venture to say that the significant detail is in the consistency of whatever grip you use.

Of course, I always consider the trigger to be the number one fundamental, so anything you can do to improve that operation is good for the overall result.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
U.S. Air Force Competitive Shooting Teams
Bullseye (and International) Competition Things
RB6

Post by RB6 »

Shooting a single shot with a free pistol for most serious shooters usually is quite time consuming , sighters, a couple hour match, then the shootoff at the end of the match can take it's toll in maintaining shooting discipline . The shooter with the loosey goosey grip will have the obvious advantage over the shooter that grips hard. The first shooter will likely have all the requirements necessary to place a good shot at the end of the match as he did at the beginning, the latter will likely not be sharing the same success
regards
Stale1

Grippping

Post by Stale1 »

For grip pressure i must refer to Don Nygord
He said:
Start out gripping the Free Pistol with about the same pressure you would exert during a handshake with a young girl - not a "limp fish", but not so hard as to cause any discomfort!
I have tried out most from gripping/hanging without any pressure at all to a firm grip.
I get more consisting groups , and it is easier to control during the match.