Is it OK to dry fire...?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

2many7s

Is it OK to dry fire...?

Post by 2many7s »

Is it ok to dry fire a compressed air rifle? I know you can not dry fire a springer but what about an Anschutz 8002? I am shooting mine with my RIKA and it seem to work fine when I accidentally shot it with no pellet loaded. I do not have the triger sensor but it still picks up the expelled air. This is convienent and saves pellets but I do not wish to harm my rifle in any way.
Clay McCracken

Post by Clay McCracken »

I think you can place the rifle in the "safe" mode and dryfire all you want. I'm not sure if your pickup sensor will detect the dryfire click or not.

I would still shoot live as the 8002 does have a slightly different feel when shooting live vs. dryfire.
2many7s

Sure

Post by 2many7s »

I do dry fire some with it on safe and the triger works wonderfully and it feels the same but the RIKA does not pick up that. I think it would if I added the trigger sensor but with out it it seems to need some burst rome the barrel. So I am limited to live firing or shooting air.

Will shooting air hurt....?
2many7s

Im a duffus

Post by 2many7s »

OK i'm a duffus. I assumed that it would not pick up the trigger click (you know what the old saying about Ass-ume...)

I tried it an surprise it does pick up the trigger click! WOW how does it do that. I just saved some money on pellets:)

But my question remains about the dry firing....
2650 Plus

Dry firing

Post by 2650 Plus »

I posted this info once before but to repeat: I was on charge of quarters at the AMU one night, About two o'clock in the morning I noticed the keys to the indore range were not in the key box. In something of a panic ,I charged out to the range and found Gary Anderson standing in front of a mirrow dry firing . And this was after a full day on the range firing the 50 meter course. That was the year he won the world championship . So yes, I am convinced that dry firing should be an essential pare of your teaining program as you can work to inprove specific parts of your shooting technique without having to deal with the feedback of the distracting hole in the target. Good Shooting Bill Horton
RobStubbs

Re: Im a duffus

Post by RobStubbs »

2many7s wrote:OK i'm a duffus. I assumed that it would not pick up the trigger click (you know what the old saying about Ass-ume...)

I tried it an surprise it does pick up the trigger click! WOW how does it do that. I just saved some money on pellets:)

But my question remains about the dry firing....
Nothing at all wrong with dry firing and I would be suprised if it didn't just pick up the 'click', my scatt does - but also most have adjustable sensitivities - take a look in your manual.

Rob.
2many7s

rimfire

Post by 2many7s »

I tried the RIKA on my silhouette gun to see if it would pick up the dry fire click there, but it did not. since it is a rimfire I was using a brass snap cap and this canged the quality of the "click" I could try adjusting the sensitivity if I fina a manual. Mine is a 2nd hand RIKA. I will call Pilk today if I have time. It would be interesting to try the the other rifle as they have totally different properties.