Great shooting by Skanaker

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Mellberg

Great shooting by Skanaker

Post by Mellberg »

Well... today was the swedish championships in 10m pistol. I performed like a newbie and didn't even have to think about making it to the final, and so did most shooter. The results in the qualification were extremely low.

But then there's Ragnar Skanaker. At 73 years of age (soon 74) he completely destroyed us all! How many people at that age do you know that are capable of shooting 580 in air pistol? =)

Very impressive shooting!

(and add the 553, 554 in the swedish championships in 50m pistol last summer, hehe)
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

What an absolutely inspirational performance!

I shot next to Ragnar (Free Pistol) at the Wolf Creek (Atlanta) range a few years back. At the time I was very worried about being able to compete well in spite of 1) already being "old" and 2) not having done *any* competitive shooting at all until just recently. I distinctly remember my thoughts turning around 180 degrees during the match and our brief conversation afterwards.

His example and wisdom have kept me going through some pretty rough patches over the years . . .

And at the other end of the spectrum we have the 10 year old competing well in the Junior Olympics here in the states.

What a beautiful sport . . .

Steve Swartz
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Great story! I shot free pistol in '94 and '95 and then stopped shooting, until this month, when I started shooting air pistol. I will be 55 in May and was just wondering how many more minutes of shooting were left in me. Especially after I shot my first 40 rounds in 12 years through my free pistol last night and had a hard time keeping the front sight on the paper!
Now I am inspired to shoot for 20 more years and hope I will get good!
Thanks for the report and inspiration!
Ben
David M

Post by David M »

Old age and cunning beats youthful exuberance.........
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

Results are here:
http://www.eskilstuna-epk.com/luft-file ... Herrar.pdf
Skanåker used this compensator:
on his 162EI with the rear sight mowed back as on a 162 Short. At least 2 weight rings on the barrel.
(I remember the air was low so he had to lift the "hook" in the last serie.)

Kent
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

II'm sure this is a dumb question but) what effect is the compensator likely to be achieving, and what is the physics involved?
fussalp

effect? no...

Post by fussalp »

MichaelB wrote:II'm sure this is a dumb question but) what effect is the compensator likely to be achieving, and what is the physics involved?
Hardly any descernable effect, if any at all.
But this custom compensator may change point of gravity a few hundreds of an inch?
Pimp my gun...
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

. . . something tells me Ragnar would have shot that score with a clapped-out hand crank pneumatic with a rusted piston and duct tape for seals . . .

Steve Swartz
Ulrich Eichstädt

Post by Ulrich Eichstädt »

Congatulations to my old friend (in both meanings...)

He wrote an e-mail to his friends, I think he wouldn't mind if I quote it here:
you know that I am very humble-normally-but I have to tell you that I won the Swedish Air Pistol Ch. last weekend.

Not with 1 p but 9 (nine) in the QUALIFICATION AND ALSO THE FINAL. Results 580+98,1.

One journalist from Smålandsposten - big news paper- asked if I should start competing internationally again:

I said NO because in that case I have to start training !!!!
The compensator he used is a very interesting device indeed. He mounted it only a week before the competition. It was invented by Ronny Nilsson, we at VISIER magazine have also one here for some tests. Ragnar called Ronny from Sweden during the IWA Show (14-17. march), just when I visited the Morini booth to meet Ronny there. Ragner had then finished the first (and last) 10 shots testing the device and was very impressed. The effect is most of all a certain draw of the pistol towards the target (sorry for my bad english...) to compensate the pellet flip. This is done by the 90 degree front plate within the comp and a certain distance (which should not be altered) - the air flows against that plate, while the pellet passes without being disturbed.

But I don't think, that Ragnar needed this to win, that's true...
Reinhamre

Re: effect? no...

Post by Reinhamre »

fussalp wrote:
MichaelB wrote:II'm sure this is a dumb question but) what effect is the compensator likely to be achieving, and what is the physics involved?
Hardly any descernable effect, if any at all.
But this custom compensator may change point of gravity a few hundreds of an inch?
Pimp my gun...
"Pimp my gun" You can not be more wrong here and I understand that you have not used this compensator.
The length and weight is the same as the standard compensator!
The "recoil" is reduced in time very much and has become short and more distinct. It is a dramatic effect. This can only work on an air gun without air went on the barrel, a LP10 have lost air before the bullet leaves the barrel.

Kent
fussalp

Re: effect? no...

Post by fussalp »

Reinhamre wrote:
fussalp wrote: Pimp my gun...
"Pimp my gun" You can not be more wrong here and I understand that you have not used this compensator.
Well, no, I have not used it. I am judging from experience with several other AP comps.
I have to give this one a try then, sometime.

By inspecting this custom comp closer, I see that there is quite some distance from the front face og the rear part, to the rear face of the frontal part.
I find it hard to understand how, given the small volume of air, and the moderate muzzle pressure could induce any marked reducing effect of the APs recoil.
Hope you cn bring forward some more info about the improved effekt of this comp to us, Kent. How come the effect ot this custom-comp differ from other only moderately effective comps of APs?
I find this an intresting topic.
If this unusual looking comp proves itself more effective, I will acquire one.

Clearly, a vented barrel, aka that of a Lp10 of P44 will reduce muzzle pressure and muzzle-escaping air volume quite a bit. Turning an at best moderately effective comp into a cimbined front sight ramp and front barrel balancing weight only.

If you fire a standard long barrel Morini 162 alternately without the comp (for testing only,´cause a front sight cannot be used), then with standard Morini comp attached, I think you may realize how small the jumt-reducing effect of that comp is.
Agree?
fussalp

must add weight to the muccle-are equal to the weight of

Post by fussalp »

Of corse, one must add weight to the muzzle-are equal to the weight of comp + front sight, to get things right.
Wheel-balancing weights, taped to the barrel under the muzzle will do.
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

I shoot 162EI Short and LP10. When under 570 (training!) I change to the other pistol :-)
I do not think the compensator will give you extra points when shooting but it is easier to see what is happening in the front end when the movement as the bullet leaves the muzzle is so abruptly cut off.
Yes, the LP10 is more motionless but the trigger on 162 is hard to beat.
Here is another picture; it has been gray after 500 pellets.

Kent

Post by Guest »

Steve Swartz wrote:And at the other end of the spectrum we have the 10 year old competing well in the Junior Olympics here in the states.
Whereas the ISSF has done their worst to keep the *young* ones out of the 2010 First Olympic Youth Games. How blind can one be? Makes me angry...

Alexander
Robert Lantz

Skanaker

Post by Robert Lantz »

When I was training at the Olympic Training Center about 30 years ago, Ragnar, who I did not know, walked up to me and said "Would you like some coaching? You can do it your way and lose, or you can do it my way and win." His advice raised my score by about 8%. I started to win. Best coach I ever knew. Great person. I am glad that he is still winning.
Paul Ha

Re: Skanaker

Post by Paul Ha »

Robert Lantz wrote: "Best coach I ever knew. Great person. I am glad that he is still winning."
Bob, Are you shootin in competitions again?