Developing the eye

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Aviator24

Developing the eye

Post by Aviator24 »

Hi,
I have read some articles and still not found what I am looking for. I want to know how the olympic shooters can detect if a tenth of a ring is off by looking at front sight. I know it is a acquired skill, but how can I develop that?

-Haynes
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I think the thing you need to work toward is an olympic level hold and the trigger control to go with it. Based on what I have seen of traces on some computer trainers I have had there is a big difference between the hold of a top shooter and mine. I think as your hold tightens and you develop good trigger control and shot discipline you will be able to call shots very accurately.
RobStubbs

Re: Developing the eye

Post by RobStubbs »

Aviator24 wrote:Hi,
I have read some articles and still not found what I am looking for. I want to know how the olympic shooters can detect if a tenth of a ring is off by looking at front sight. I know it is a acquired skill, but how can I develop that?

-Haynes
As the previous poster said it's about training, concentration, good hold, and a very consistent technique. You should be able to call the shots pretty well if you're concentration properly on good sight alignment. As to scoring in 10th's forget that, it's not necessary. Shoot good shots and you will get the 10's and that's all you need.

Rob.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

pdeal wrote:...as your hold tightens...
'Tightens' might not be the best way to describe the desired outcome.
Some could relate this to developing an over-tight grip, rather than reducing the wobble area.

Re the original post - with 1/10 ring being 0.25mm at 10m (or 0.8mm at 50m) - this seems remarkable.

Spencer
JeroenH

1/10th?

Post by JeroenH »

Spencer wrote: Re the original post - with 1/10 ring being 0.25mm at 10m (or 0.8mm at 50m) - this seems remarkable.
It's not so much about seeing a detail of 0.25 mm at 10 m. Rather, it's about judging the alignment of sights and the visual. That's a trick we are pretty good at. Similar to Vernier acuity.

Can you see it ...? See the figure below: from left to right, it's 10.9, 10.7 and 10.5 (the latter 2 being at 12 o'clock).

I grabbed these from a computer programme that I wrote which visualises sights in relation to the visual.

This programme can do several things. One of them is to briefly show a sight picture (might be a 10.9, might be worse). By means of a mouse click, you must answer: was it 10.9, or wasn't it.
After some trials, you can see a pattern developping. For what it's worth, I typically might mistake a 10.8 for a 10.9, sometimes I might mistake a 10.7 for a 10.9, but if it's a 10.6, I see it ain't perfect most of the time.

A second 'game' in this programme is where the target is plotted off-centre. By using the mouse, you can drag it until you think it's centred. Repeat several times, and again you get an idea of how well you can distinguish a 10.9 from something lower.
Here I typically score 10.80 or better.

If you're interested in playing with the programme, drop me a note (TT message) ...

Regards
Jeroen
Attachments
Left to right: 10.9; 10.7; 10.5 (the latter two being off to 12 o'clock)
Left to right: 10.9; 10.7; 10.5 (the latter two being off to 12 o'clock)
10_point_9_7_5.jpg (24.67 KiB) Viewed 2038 times
Mr Magoo

astigmatism ain't your friend

Post by Mr Magoo »

Oy veh! To be able to see bull and sight so clearly! Oh mine gosh!
RobStubbs

Re: astigmatism ain't your friend

Post by RobStubbs »

Mr Magoo wrote:Oy veh! To be able to see bull and sight so clearly! Oh mine gosh!
And don't also forget that this will be in a moving image. The skill is to learn and rehearse, the optimum time of shot release in any one shot sequence.

Rob.