MD shooters need to be aware....

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

TomAmlie

MD shooters need to be aware....

Post by TomAmlie »

If you're in Maryland, you really should contact your state "representative" about this legislation.

All ammunition for handguns or "assault weapons" needs to be encoded with a serial #, recorded at time of purchase. $0.05 per round tax on ammunition. I assume this means that reloading is out.

This type of legislation has been proposed in several states. If it passes, it probably could NOT be challenged on a 2nd amendment basis, just as NFA tax on class 3 weapons hasn't been challenged.

http://mlis.state.md.us/2008rs/billfile/hb0517.htm

The makers of this encoding system (who would get a per-round licensing fee for the technology) are apparently lobbying in all the states (and in DC) for the adoption of such rules. Great business model - make your product legally required.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Tom,
I think I saw on the NRA news tape that this was voted down. Is that true?
old gaffer

Post by old gaffer »

Freepistol wrote:Tom,
I think I saw on the NRA news tape that this was voted down. Is that true?
This POS legislation was almost unanimously defeated in the Judiciary Committee hearing that DW and I testified at. In fact, the only person that voted for it was the bill's sponsor.

The first two entities to testify against it were representatives from Winchester and Remington, who all but told the committee members that if this bill passed, the would stop selling ammunition in Maryland - including not selling to law enforcement and military/national guard units.

There were thirty-plus other people testifying aginst the bill, but I think the first two nailed the coffin lid down tightly enough.

BTW, the only two entities to speak in favor of the bill were the manufacturer of said encoding equipment and the bill's sponsor.

The people won on this one.

Regards,
Rob
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

For future reference, who is the the manufacturer of said encoding equipment?

This will undoubtedly come up around the world.

Spencer
old gaffer

Post by old gaffer »

Spencer wrote:For future reference, who is the the manufacturer of said encoding equipment?

This will undoubtedly come up around the world.

Spencer
Ammo Coding Systems http://www.ammocoding.com/ our of Washington State.

In the interest of not winding up in a civil suit, I'll forgo offering my impression of the weasely little bastard that 's trying to make a personal fortune through the legislative process by preying on the irrational fears of the ignorant populace and legislatures around the country.
AAlex

Post by AAlex »

little bastard that 's trying to make a personal fortune through the legislative process by preying on the irrational fears of the ignorant populace and legislatures around the country
Wait, I'm confused - isn't that how the laws are normally passed?
solomon grundy

Post by solomon grundy »

These sorts of proposals are becoming common. Something similar is currently making the rounds in NJ.

I don't get the impression that ACS has the capability, or intention, to implement this technology. It appears that their primary business is in making protective surfaces to prevent damage by skateboards.

also note, from their website...
There are several well known manufacturers currently producing a significant portion of the current commercially available ammunition in the United States. Each ammunition producer would be required to purchase at least one, if not more, laser engraving machines and ammunition material handlers to produce ACS coded ammunition. There are several manufacturers who can design and build this equipment. Reliable estimates for a complete set of engraving/material handling equipment range from $300,000 to $500,000 each. A licensing fee for each bullet sold would also be required. However, since approximately 10 billion bullets are sold in the United States alone each year, equipment costs, once amortized over the number of bullets produced and sold are not significant.
(i.e. we're speculating on the cost, and haven't performed relevant feasibility a/o engineering analyses, but hope to be given a monopoly on licensing for the innovation of laser engraving the base of a bullet.)
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

old gaffer wrote: The first two entities to testify against it were representatives from Winchester and Remington, who all but told the committee members that if this bill passed, the would stop selling ammunition in Maryland - including not selling to law enforcement and military/national guard units.
OUTSTANDING!!!

I am sick and tired of bullshit attempts to foist this backdoor gun control on us through "technology" mandates, while lawmakers exempt the police and military from such mandates.

I applaud the HUGE balls that ammunition makers Olin Corporation (Winchester brand) and Remington Arms mustered by standing up to government and telling them that they are not as powerful as they think they are.

I wish major handgun makers (Glock, Heckler & Koch, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armory, and Ruger) would tell the same thing to the California Assembly. That they will not sell or service any more handguns owned by any California state or municipal police force or government agency until the gun control laws of that state (which do nothing but attack the law abiding) are repealed.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Jose Rossy wrote:
I wish major handgun makers (Glock, Heckler & Koch, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armory, and Ruger) would tell the same thing to the California Assembly. That they will not sell or service any more handguns owned by any California state or municipal police force or government agency until the gun control laws of that state (which do nothing but attack the law abiding) are repealed.
Jose,

You are absolutely correct. The anti-gunners tend to use California (where I live) as their test bed for seeing which idiotic laws can be enacted. If the major handgun and ammo manufacturers would stand up here, as you suggested, they could put a damper on such laws all over the country. So why don't they?

FredB
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Can only hope the rest follow Ronnie Barrett's lead.
tim_stone

cartridge stamping

Post by tim_stone »

Group,
This is the exact way they will remove our firearms from us, by limiting the ammo we have access to. Yes, I live in California and those of us that try and shoot here get tired of being harassed by the anti-gun group. The next big legislation coming for California is the removal of all lead based ammo, as this "poisons" the condors, a bird that is not native to California.
The baned ammo will start in the mountains and foothills of the central valley, and my guess is, be expanded to include all of California within three to five years. No lead filled ammo will be aloud in the state of any purpose, including small bore. Guess what will happen in the rest of the States when this happens, the crazies will start similar legislation. I do not want to lose the ability to shoot. Sorry to get off track. Whom ever came up with the stamping procedures needs to called to task, just like you are doing. Make lots of noise before your state elected officials and urge a NO vote on any similar legislation.
Ernie Rodriguez

Cartridge Stamping

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

In a country where doing the right thing is too much of an effort,where money/greed replaced religion/ethics,where education has been severly diluted,where self agenda replaces good common sense,where accountability/responsibility is for someone else and cultural retardation is accepted as inevidable-what does one expect from the peoples of our country?? What we are seeing here, is a dumbing down of people and a dying culture.More restrictions on guns/ammo/components will have very little effect on crime and the problems that are spawned in a free society.We just sit on our numb keisters and watch history repeat itself.One of the things we CAN do is support our NRA,vote for the very few intelligent politicians we have and boycott the products,produced by companies,in our sport-that make money from shooters but don't get politically involved with the problems we face.