porting?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Narcoleptic Warrior

porting?

Post by Narcoleptic Warrior »

I own a S&W model 686 revolver and plan to use it for 25m centrefire pistol shooting .38 special HBWCs. One small issue though.....the barrel is ported. Will this disqualify the pistol?
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Yes, the pistol would not be allowed.

8.16.0 Compensators, muzzle breaks, perforated barrels or any device(s) functioning in a similar manner are not allowed
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

Help me out hear but the 686 has a 6 inch or 4 inch barrel right ? Dont have my tables to has but I seem to remember a 6inch barrel is also to long

Nice gun to shoot in 30 though my club has one.

J
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

JulianY wrote:Help me out hear but the 686 has a 6 inch or 4 inch barrel right ? Dont have my tables to has but I seem to remember a 6inch barrel is also to long
Rule 8.16.0 gives the maximum barrel length as 153mm.

Rule 8.4.4.2 makes it clear that for a revolver the measurement is for the barrel only, excluding the cylinder. For a semi-automatic the measurement would include the chamber.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

If its ported it really doesn't matter what the rule for barrel length is.

153mm = 6.02" so the length is fine, but its still ported.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Richard H wrote:... it really doesn't matter what the rule for barrel length is. 153mm = 6.02" so the length is fine....
The 6" is nominal on many American pistols, particularly for older versions - numerous pistols needed a bit machined off to comply with ISSF regs; including 686s.

Spencer
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Why are we goi ng on about barrel length. The question was about porting so who cares about barrel length?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Richard H wrote:The question was about porting so who cares about barrel length?
There was a suplementary point raised by Julian about barrel length, so we are discussing it.

As we all know, threads rarely stick strictly to the original question.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Hiya,

How about this idea:

Take it to a 'smith and lop an inch off the end of the barrel. It would solve both issues in this thread.

1) In most likelihood ports would be gone, at least the porting I have seen. (magnaport)

2) With a 5" (127mm) barrel there would be no question it was under the 6" (153mm) length

IMHO, a 5" .38 revolver is a lot easier to shoot. I find the balance to be just plain better than a 6" gun.

But that's just my 2 cents.

Tom
rrpc

Post by rrpc »

I think you might be lopping off the foresight as well?