how good am I

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

knifer

how good am I

Post by knifer »

Hi guys!

I am newbie in target shooting, most likely will never be good enough to compete, but would like to know how good are my results and what might be my next goal. I need something for different skill levels for 50yds smallbore rifle.
Like "for 50yds and target #*** to consider participating/winning at *** competition on local/state/national level you should consistently average NNN points from NN shots"

Thank you.
corning

Post by corning »

Knifer, I would argue that one is always good enough to compete. You may take some lumps in your first match or two getting a classification, but once you have that in hand, you will be competing with those that are at a skill level comparable to yours (I refer to US NRA competition). Competing is always a pleasure, and you should not be intimidated to get involved.

John
knifer

Post by knifer »

We dont have to many competition events going on in my area. I dont think we have any gun range where prone position is possible...
Most of gun range clients around here are hunters testing their rifles, police practicing with gandguns and teenagers shooting Bin Laden targets...
corning wrote:Knifer, I would argue that one is always good enough to compete. You may take some lumps in your first match or two getting a classification, but once you have that in hand, you will be competing with those that are at a skill level comparable to yours (I refer to US NRA competition). Competing is always a pleasure, and you should not be intimidated to get involved.

John
WRC

Post by WRC »

The NRA Qualifications courses are set up to give shooters particular scores to achieve, getting more challenging as the shooter progresses. Especially with no one to go "head to head" with, the qualifications course will give you a way to see how you are progressing. I'm sure there's one for outdoor prone. Check out the NRA website, training & qualification area.
knifer

Post by knifer »

Thank you! Could not find anything like that for my area, but found good page on my topic with national records: http://www.nrahq.org/compete/natl_records.asp
Not very realistic for me to use them to set a goal, even "sub junior" results are quite far from mine...
WRC wrote:The NRA Qualifications courses are set up to give shooters particular scores to achieve, getting more challenging as the shooter progresses. Especially with no one to go "head to head" with, the qualifications course will give you a way to see how you are progressing. I'm sure there's one for outdoor prone. Check out the NRA website, training & qualification area.
jackh

Post by jackh »

Where are you located Knifer? Perhaps someone near could help.

Get a rule book and read all the how to books you can find. Then find a way to train and do the best you can. The how good you are part will take care of itself...
gn303

how good am I

Post by gn303 »

Hi Knifer,

Your question comes from the natural desire to compete, but it is the wrong one!
The real question is: how much fun do I have when shooting, how much effort am I prepared to do to improve and get more satisfaction from shooting? How can I get better?
The challenge is: how well can I control all actions to deliver a perfect shot? The perfect shot is made on the firing line; the target ring is only the confirmation of what happen on the firing line.
Keys to success? Self-observation, analysis, perseverance. Like in any sport.
Build-up your abilities, get advice from confirmed target shooters.
Success and have fun!
corning

Post by corning »

knifer wrote:Thank you! Could not find anything like that for my area, but found good page on my topic with national records: http://www.nrahq.org/compete/natl_records.asp
Not very realistic for me to use them to set a goal, even "sub junior" results are quite far from mine...
WRC wrote:The NRA Qualifications courses are set up to give shooters particular scores to achieve, getting more challenging as the shooter progresses. Especially with no one to go "head to head" with, the qualifications course will give you a way to see how you are progressing. I'm sure there's one for outdoor prone. Check out the NRA website, training & qualification area.
Don't worry about the national records. Just get out and have some fun with shoulder to shoulder competition.

For an idea of events/matches near you, try the "coming events" section of Shooting Sports USA. It can be found on the NRA web pages:

http://www.nrapublications.org/sh.%20sp ... CE0802.pdf

Even if you don't want to shoot one, go watch a match, and talk to the competitors. That, in itself, will be a learning experience

John
knifer

Post by knifer »

thank you!
cdf

Post by cdf »

Just do it , you meet a lot of very nice an helpfull people . It can shave a lot of time of your learning curve , its a great support group , you find you arent alone !

Chris