Shooting Glasses - Another Question

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Richard H

Re: shooting glass

Post by Richard H »

sagara wrote:Hi,
Thanks for the comments.
for me after one or two seconds the front sight get blurred.
this happen in both free & Air pitols.
then what I do is forcus the target & come back to the sight.
but if I can reduce that time..?
would the irish help me to get the sight clear.
I have not seen many people use irish for Air pistol.
but when I feel light is too much for me I feel like use it for Ari pistol.
pls correct me.

rgds
Sagara
I don't think anyone can tell you if it will help or not, you're going to get everyones individual opioin which in the end isn't of much use. Try an iris if it helps it helps, if not don't use it, no harm done. There are lots of people that use an iris in air pistol, beleaive me you aren't going to be unique.
Kryten

Post by Kryten »

I have tried out the iris and found that it is really good having the target and the sights in focus. Problem I have is that during rapid firing There is not enough time to properly focus. Also when I try it indoors, the light generally is not great and the iris lessens the amount of available light and I lose contrast.

Am I right in assuming that they dont work as well in Standard pistol or sport pistol? Maybe because I am relatively new to ISSF, I just havent got used to the shooting style yet.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Part of the problem may be that generally using the iris to put both the sights and the target in focus at the same time is a really, really bad idea.

It is somewhat insidious how "trying to align three objects in the same focal plane" messes up a whole bunch of other stuff that has to be done perfectly . . .

but if it works for you then so be it

Steve Swartz
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

Kryten wrote:I have tried out the iris and found that it is really good having the target and the sights in focus. Problem I have is that during rapid firing There is not enough time to properly focus. Also when I try it indoors, the light generally is not great and the iris lessens the amount of available light and I lose contrast.
As for me I always use an iris and it works well all the time, except for field shooting.
Remember to aim sub 6 o’clock, and this is important, stay away from the black! It will draw attention away from the sights! And in rapid fire, aim at the center or rather under the 10 ring. Not in the white under the black.

Kent
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

One of the problems with an iris is having everything in focus and then working out which element is the most important. General wisdom is that the foresight is the most important and that's what you want to concentrate on.

You also have the problem with trying to be over precise because everything is in focus, whereas a blurred target makes area aiming much easier (and easier to accept psychologically).

Rob.
Fred Mannis

Proper Use of an Iris

Post by Fred Mannis »

RobStubbs wrote:One of the problems with an iris is having everything in focus and then working out which element is the most important.
Rob
That is not the case, at least for me. I normally set my iris open and use it to keep my head aligned. But there are times when I cannot bring my front sight into focus and I don't want to change to another lens (I have some +/- 1/4D from my normal prescription). What I do is carefully close the iris until I can just focus on the front sight. At that point the bull is still fuzzy. I think the mistake that many people make is closing down the iris until everything (bull, front sight, rear sight) is in focus.
YMMV
Fred