Importing an Air Gun from Europe

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Importing an Air Gun from Europe

Post by Guest »

Hi Folks,

My wife travels to Europe frequently for business. I'm looking to purchase a Styer LP10. I was wondering if it was worth it or even possible for her to bring it back when she travels.

Thanks,
Paul in Buffalo NY
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

I did it in 2000. I bought one and mailed is via Deutsche Post to my home.

I'm no expert, but I am not aware of any federal or Illinois (my home state) restrictions on target airguns. Illinois considers high velocity airguns and any larger than 0.177 caliber as firearms, but that does not apply to target guns.

regards,
Steve Turner
kbc

Post by kbc »

Paul,

Here is the cost breakdown analysis for buying a LP-10 in Germany.

Typical sale price there is about 1140 Euro.

Apply about 17% discount for sales tax since it is going out of European Union, so that makes it about 946 Euro. If it is done through the VAT(?) service at the airport (check with their office at the airport before you check in you suitcase), you may get less than 15% back for their service. If this is mailed from the dealer, the entire sales tax is waived but the shipping cost can be anyway from 50 to 100 Euro.

If you have to pay import tax at the US custom, add another 10% or so. Thus the grand total comes to about $1650 assuming 80 Euro shipping cost and 10% US import tax. This does not include the local transportation cost for your wife to go pick it up from the local gun shop there. In my opinion, you are better of buying it from Scott Pilkington because the services he provides far exceed the saving you gain from buying it in Germany. Hope this helps.