1911 target grips - what are people using

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Brian James

1911 target grips - what are people using

Post by Brian James »

I have a simple question, and perhaps the answer is simple is as well. I'm curious to know what shooters are using for grips on their 1911 (single stack). I'm aware of grip made by Morini, Rink, Vitarbo, maybe even Fung. Are shooters even using anatmoical grips or just groved wooden grips.

Having never been to a major 2700 shoot, I have no clue what shooters are using and wonder if people here can share with me what they think.

thanks

Brian
2650 Plus

The 45 grip

Post by 2650 Plus »

As primarily a military shooter with the emphasis on hard ball[The 230 grain ,820 fps load] You cannot use target grips by rule. They can be used on the wad cutter guns for NRA three gun competition. My personal approach was to use the standard grip as I became convinced that target grips were designed to hold my hand rather than holding the pistol. I even had my 22 grips made to conform to the 1911 shape as once you find and adjust to one grip ,for consistancy I think simplifing the grip issue is the better way to go .I may be wrong as far as the 22 goes because I consistantly beat my 22 scores with both center fire and the wad cutter 45. I regularly tested the center fire and 45 wad guns and never tested my 22, so that may have been the source of the lower scores. Remember that the Europeans have been beaten most often by our shooters in international center fire. They persist in wanting lower recoiling guns where we tend to ignore it as recoil happens after the shot leaves the barrel. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Richard H

Re: The 45 grip

Post by Richard H »

2650 Plus wrote: recoil happens after the shot leaves the barrel. Good Shooting Bill Horton
You guys must have different physics than the rest of the world.

Recoil is the opposing force it's equal and opposite to the force that propels the projectile down the barrel. Maybe you are talking about muzzle flip not recoil.
2650 Plus

Recoil

Post by 2650 Plus »

Richard you are more correct than I was. I want to make the point that with proper follow through recoil does not effect the strike of the bullet as one zeros to compensate for the muzzel jump and as long as the grip and arm tensions ars consistant the projectile will still arive at the target at the point where the sights are alligned. You made me rethink the issue and provide a more correct answer . Thanks Good Shooting Bill Horton

1911 Grips

Post by Guest »

Hi Brian. My only advice would be that, if you choose to go with "anatomical" grips, get cheap Herrett Nationals to start. You can carve/putty these and not feel so bad if you mess it all up. You should be able to find them for around $60 or so.

Look around on the late Don Nygord's site, which I believe still posts his "Nygord's Notes". There is an excellent article or two on customizing grips.

Honestly Brian, I've tried so many 1911 grip styles I can't remember them all. And after this long, complicated, and expensive quest to find the holy grail of 1911 grips, what have I settled on and use now? ...Why, the original "slab sides" it came with, of course! Welcome and Good Luck!
jackh

Post by jackh »

I use regular wood checkered panels that will comply with Service Pistol rules. adding good checkering or stippling to the fore and aft of the grip frame will give you the all important traction
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

I am leaning towards an anatomical grip, likley a Rink or Morini because I'm familar with those grips. With that said, trying to learn how people like these grips is a challenge. I checked out the Herrett grip and it looks like an economical option.

Brian
jackh

Post by jackh »

I do have ergonomic on other guns

Rink - My favorite on 208s, no work needed.
Fung - My favorite on Revolver
Nil - almost as good as Rink
Morini - needs work to come up to Rink
Vitarbo - needs more work.
wra

1911 Anatomical Grips

Post by wra »

I'm back to using "slab side" or "standard" grips on my 1911s, after using Nil grips for about a year.

The Rink grips don't have an adjustable palm rest last time I checked. This keeps them from fitting my hand.

My primary gun had a Nil grip, but after Larry's stopped carrying Nil, I couldn't find a second Nil in my size for my backup 1911 wadcutter.

So I went back to standard grips and haven't regretted it a bit. I did notice I need an arched mainspring housing to keep the muzzle from dropping while I grip.

My favorite slab grips are Ahrends.

Jon
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

Like others, I use regular slab side grips. I currently use Rock River grips that are holding up very well. I added spacers under the grip panels on the wad gun to make it a bit thicker and fill my hand better.

I spent a long time messing with anatomical grips: Herret, Morini, Nill and Horton. I had a recurring problem with the sights jumping to the right when I dry fired. Slabs and a good grip fixed that.

I love anatomical grips for free pistol, airgun and 22, just not on the 45. Rink grips are the best out of the box, but are expensive.

Regards,
Steve
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

SteveT

Where could I find a Horton grip if I wanted too.

Everyone who's replied - thanks. I'm learning a lot about what people have experienced. If I make the investment of purchasing an anatomical grip I really want it to help me, and not be something I toss aside a few months later because it causes a problem.

Brian
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

SteveT

Everyone who's replied - thanks. I'm learning a lot about what people have experienced. If I make the investment of purchasing an anatomical grip I really want it to help me, and not be something I toss aside a few months later because it causes a problem.

Brian
2650 Plus

45 grips

Post by 2650 Plus »

I'm not sure "Herrett" still makes them but my S&W model 41 grips were called " trainer" and could be ordered as flat or arched main spring shaped. Good Shooting Bill Horton
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

Brian James wrote:SteveT

Brian
The contact info I have is: Dick Horton of Mt. Vernon, Il. 618-244-3389. I bought a set used. They are unmarked, but after asking around a bit the general consensus was that they were made by Dick Horton.

Regards,
Steve
2650 Plus

Grips for three gun 2700

Post by 2650 Plus »

Bryan, Just in case you were asking about the grips I mentioned as being used on my S&W model 41 please take a look at the pistols desplayed on the third post under "ITS ABOUT TIME" Those are the ones made by Herrett and the ones one the 41 are the flat mainspring housing types. Good Shooting Bill Horton
2650 Plus

Grips for three gun 2700

Post by 2650 Plus »

Bryan, Just in case you were asking about the grips I mentioned as being used on my S&W model 41 please take a look at the pistols desplayed on the third post under "ITS ABOUT TIME" Those are the ones made by Herrett and the ones on the 41 are the flat mainspring housing types. Good Shooting Bill Horton
sillymike

Post by sillymike »

I've done ok with these...

But I've since moved back to the regular slab-side.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

FWIW

- I tried fully anatomical (vitarbo) grips initially (first two years)
- Didn't break 2600 until I went back to slab sides*
- I think the anatomicals may have contributed to my messed up elbow**

Steve

*but I did make HM fairly quickly with the anatomicals . . . go figure . . .
** hand position was slightly "pre-rotated" with the anatomicals, and didn't have balanced gripping fingers pressure
Don

Post by Don »

If your objective is the Distinguished Pistol Shot badge and President's Hundred Tab, shoot nothing but slab-sided gun and iron sights until you get there. I got both with a sharpshooter card. Stay focused on your goal, and accept that you will be beaten at most matches by people using red dot sights and orthopedic grips. Once the red dot sights and orthopedic grips came off, however, I beat a lot of masters and high masters in leg matches.

After I picked up the badge and tab, I went to red dot sights and Nil grips. I shoot .22 with a Marvel conversion on a 1911 frame, so the basic feel of .22, CF, and .45 are all the same.

Regards,
Don
rstriano

Target grips

Post by rstriano »

I have a Walther 32 and am expert 22 with target grips. Is that not allowed in bullseye?

Thanks

Richie