Coaching for newbie 'fun shooter' - is it worth it?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
MattW

Coaching for newbie 'fun shooter' - is it worth it?

Post by MattW »

Hi All,
I'm in the UK (N.W. England) and I've just got interested in shooting 10m AP. I've bought an F.A.S.604 which, after a set of new seals (long story!), I'm really enjoying shooting and becoming quite addicted to.

However, while I'm a 41 year old with no illusions as to entering the Olympics(!), I have a nagging doubt that I'm probably reinforcing some bad habits. (Even though I keep trying to convince myself that I only shoot for 'fun', I could perhaps see myself entering a competition or two.....).

So if I could beg some advice, and ask a couple of questions, it'd be really appreciated:

Would I need a better gun before considering coaching?

Would coaching be worth while for someone in my position?

I don't know of any target clubs near me, so it'd mean travelling for a kind of 'one-off' session (assuming I could find a coach willing) - is this worth while, or should it really be a regular affair?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated and thanks for putting up with yet another newbie.

best
Matt
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Matt, set against the latest PCP pistols the 604 is probably hard work. It is however perfectly capable of shooting 10s all day long if you do your bit.

I would have thought that an initial "do it this way" session with a qualified club instructor would get you going along the right path.

Unfortunately I don't know any clubs in your part of the UK. Have your tried the club-finder page on the new NSRA web site (revamped yesterday).

BTW, we were all newbies once.
LukeP

Re: Coaching for newbie 'fun shooter' - is it worth it?

Post by LukeP »

MattW wrote:Hi All,

Would I need a better gun before considering coaching?
Maybe at this moment you need coaching before considering a better (?) gun.
Fas 604 is full of 10s, good trigger and light weight, imho is a very good choice.

I think at the beginning, is important learn the basics like stance, breath, aiming and pull. You can find a lot of information here on ttforum, and pilkguns pages, but if you go on the range, sure you can easily find a qualified club instructor teaching you the right way.

Good shooting,
LukeP
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Got to agree with David, but like him I know of no coaches in that area - but the NSRA should be able to help. The coach administrator lives up that way somewhere so should be able to give you some pointers as to where to go or who to contact.

Rob.
MattW

Post by MattW »

Thanks for the help guys!
I'll seek out a local club and see if I can get some coaching / beginners guidance.

(just shot a couple of cards with 8's, 9's and 10'sand then some complete flyers - I know as soon as I pull the trigger it's going to be rubbish, but can't stop myself! :) )

best
Matt
cdf

Post by cdf »

Getting some expert advice , from whoever will shorten your learning curve . Probably also improve your enjoyment . Deffinately compete when oportunity presents , you meet a lot of like minded souls , and learn lots .

Chris
Cricman

Post by Cricman »

nt
MSC

Post by MSC »

The Army Marksmanship Guide, though developed for bullseye shooting, is IMHO an excellent place to start.

When I got into air pistol, I hadn't a clue on stance, breathing, trigger control, etc... It touches on all these points and more.

Though not the equivalent of an "in-person coach", I think it can be very helpful...

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/amucover.htm
MattW

Post by MattW »

Thanks for the input guys.

I downloaded and read the Army Marksmanship guide and I've read it through. I've worked on some faults in my hold, breathing and stance (I think!) and I shot 60 or so pellets tonight. Definitely feels better and my average has certainly improved - still throwing some wild 4's and 5's though!

This is turning into an addiction, I'm definitely going to get some coaching!

best

Matt
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Matt
All depends on how well you are shooting right now.
When I started my weekend fun 10m shooting, I shot so bad that I was struggling to even keep all my shots inside the #1 ring, and sometimes even on the target paper itself. How's that for bad?

With the help of a few on this site, I found an AR coach that was willing to help me. Now if I'm shooting good, all my shots are at least in the black. So now rather than the totally frustrated feeling that I had before, I actually have fun shooting. So yes I do think that coaching can be useful for a weekend shooter as well.

BTW, Pilkingtons has a book that I wish I had when I started shooting AR, "ways of the rifle." While it is aimed at rifle shooting, I was also able to apply some of the concepts also to my AP shooting. I wish they would now write "ways of the pistol." I have to contact Scott or Warren to see what they would recommend for an AP shooter.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

GaryN wrote:
I wish they would now write "ways of the pistol." I have to contact Scott or Warren to see what they would recommend for an AP shooter.
Do a search on for example ebay as "pistol shooting" and see what comes up. Any books by Laslo Antal, Leatherdale etc are worth getting. There are usually a couple of good books on there.

Rob.
MattW

Post by MattW »

RobStubbs wrote: Do a search on for example ebay as "pistol shooting" and see what comes up. Any books by Laslo Antal, Leatherdale etc are worth getting. There are usually a couple of good books on there.

Rob.
Excellent idea Rob!

I've just bought Successful Pistol Shooting by Frank & Paul Leatherdale and Competitive Pistol Shooting by Laslo Antal - they were a snip on ebay.

Should keep me busy for a while!

Matt