Method for weighing each trigger stage?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jon_01

Method for weighing each trigger stage?

Post by jon_01 »

I'm getting to the point of wanting to experiment with changing weight values on the trigger stages of my LP10. I have read posts on the pros and cons of what stage to put a certain amount of weight on, etc., and that's been helpful. I have one of those 500 gram hangers, but it just plows through both stages or hangs showing you have at least a 500 gram trigger. I'm wondering how do people successfully weigh each stage of their trigger. Is there a certain type of gauge you use or how do you do it? Thanks.

Jon
ASA

Post by ASA »

I have not done this yet but I would think that a spring balance type of scale could be useful. Something like this:http://www.industrysearch.com.au/produc ... px?id=9056

The first stage is the phase where a trigger movement is observed. As soon as this phase is done you engage the second stage.

Procedure: with a fixed LP10 you hook the scale to the trigger and start pulling. When the trigger stops moving the first stage is over and the shot breaks when enough force is applied (force equals mass holds only at sea level..).

The first stage travel is rather small - so one needs a keen eye.

Would be interesting to know the outcome.

best wishes

Axel
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I just use a lyman electronic trigger pull gauge. Its not about the actual numbers its about the feel. personally too many people spend way too much time trying to adjust the trigger by grams.

With the Lyman mine is about 460-470 grams 1st stage and approx. 50-60 grams second stage so this makes a totla of 510-530 grams total trigger weight.

Once you get it to a place that you like the feel of it check the over-all trigger weight and make sure it passes the 500 gram trigger weight test, personally I like mine to pass with some room (20-30 grams is not going to make that much of a difference) and I have found that traveiling and various temps can effect the trigger weight. I'd rather have one that passes then mess with it prior to a match or have it fall a line check.
Fred.Mannis

Post by Fred.Mannis »

I have used the Lyman gauge, but find it easier to use an electronic postal scale. Put a ~ 600 gm wt on the scale and hung from the trigger. Slowly lift the gun until trigger movement stops and note the weight on the scale. Let's say the scale shows 130 gm. The weight of the first stage is 600-130=470gm. Continue until the sear releases. Read the scale - 60 gm. Release weight is 600-60=540 gm.

A 500 gm torsion type gauge also works well. Just carefully push on the trigger with the gauge until motion ceases, then read the gauge.