Color Len's for indoor?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
John Ariani

Color Len's for indoor?

Post by John Ariani »

I've a simple query.
Are there colored lenses that may possibly assist when shooting AP indoors?
Sometimes the fluro lights - depending on where they are positioned - are a bit 'glary'. Othertimes I find some ranges a little on the dark side.
That so - do colored lenses help? And if so - is there a color/combination rule?
Fred (Mannis) - I see you are selling your colored lenses - were these used by yourself indoors or outdoors?
Thanks.
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

Champion do a nice "gold" (not yellow) that takes the glare off the artificial lights. A 5% off-yellow wash can also be applied directly to the lens by most optical shops.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Like everythting else in shooting which lenses work for you are going to be a very personal thing

As a general rule yellow tends to increase contrast.

All lenses reduce the amount of light being transmited.

I definately use grey, brown or dark green outside in bright sunlight.

Indoors I've played with Yellow, Orange and Purple. Out of those I've found the purple to work the best for me under certain indoor conditions.

I usually shoot indoors with no coloured filter.

Another thing to experiment with regarding light is the width of the rear sight. When targets are brightly lit a narrow sigth gaps in the rear can make the front sight almost diappear in a flaring effect.
There are also polarizers to consdier too.

The only thing to do is experiment and find which work best for you and in what conditions. As an example I have bad grass allergies in the early summer so my eye become watery and light sensitive so I do find at some ranes they make it a little more comfortable to shoot. What ever you do make sure you get good quality filters.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

John,
My experiments yielded results similar to what Richard describes. At the moment I have two clip on filters: light yellow indoors if there is glare (doesn't always help); gray polarizer for FP which works great on bright sunny days.

I'm selling the colored lenses because I now need a prescription lens in my shooting glasses.
David M

fluro light

Post by David M »

If the air range is predominantly fluorescent lighting, particularly if it is wired only to a single phase only, a 10 % blue filter tends to help (single phase wiring tends to flicker at the AC frequency) .
A glary incandescent range a light grey will help. The yellow lens is for outside natural low light.
David Levene

Re: fluro light

Post by David Levene »

David M wrote:If the air range is predominantly fluorescent lighting, particularly if it is wired only to a single phase only, a 10 % blue filter tends to help (single phase wiring tends to flicker at the AC frequency) .
This can be overcome by the use of decent quality twin tube fittings with what is commonly known as leading/lagging control gear.

These satisfied the "out of phase" lighting requirement in the 1997 rules (subsequently dropped in the 2001 rules).