How do I rate my AP score?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Avanti

How do I rate my AP score?

Post by Avanti »

What is the best way to rate my 10 meter 60 shot Air Pistol scores? I am familiar with the NRA bullseye classifications (Distinguished Master, Master etc.) but do not know if there is something similar in 10m AP and was unable to find the topic in the archives. If there's no classification, what range of scores are generally considered as "average" and "above average"?
Thanks!
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Avanti:

Welcome to the Sport!

USA Shooting is the national governing body in the US for the international (olympic) shooting sports. Would recommend you create a bookmark for their home page:

http://www.usashooting.com/

They have quite a bit of information etc. available for you there. The USAS classification system is:

5.3.7 Air Pistol Classification

For competition in 10m air pistol events.
AA.....................................92 and above
A...........................................88 to 91.99
B...........................................84 to 87.99
C...........................................78 to 83.99
D...........................................65 to 77.99
E...................................64.99 and below

Generally speaking, most shooters can progress fairly easily/rapidly from C through B just by practicing, without a whole lot of effort. An "A" level classification is where the bulk of shooters end up- requires a little more focus and effort, but easily achievable. Breaking into "AA" is considered fairly respectable.

The most important threshold is 95%. If you can shoot 95% regularly, in a match, you are now competitive for placing in the top 8 or so shooters at national level competitions.

Allow me to throw in some unsolicited advice though- I think you are potentially making a fairly sizable mistake here even thinking about "scores" as a measure of performance . . . this sounds kind of counter-intuitive (it is) but will make more sense after you start developing some fairly common, hard to break, bad habits!

Steve
top end

Post by top end »

In Australia, the grades are;
D Grade under 500
C Grade 500+
B Grade 540+
A Grade over 560
Avanti

Post by Avanti »

Thank you for the information, its exactly what I was looking for. I just wanted to get an idea where I am skill wise. I started shooting 10m AP two months ago to extend my shooting season in preparation for next summers NRA bullseye competitions. Truth be told, if there were as many 10m AP matches here in Minnesota as bullseye matches, I would seriously consider selling my bullseye guns and shoot AP only; its that fun!
LukeP

Post by LukeP »

In Italy the grades are:

SuperA 383 and above
A 373 to 382
B 363 to 372
C 362 and below

The score is made of a medium of the best 3 scores of 5 competitions.

Post by Guest »

In Sweden:

H3 560p
H2 540p
H1 the rest
Mellberg

Post by Mellberg »

5.3.7 Air Pistol Classification

For competition in 10m air pistol events.
AA.....................................92 and above
A...........................................88 to 91.99
B...........................................84 to 87.99
C...........................................78 to 83.99
D...........................................65 to 77.99
E...................................64.99 and below

Does for example "78" mean "578" or 78p with 10 shots? I mean, 588 is pretty hard core, but 88 with 10 shots is not something I would class as a "A-grade" shooter. Not 92 = AA either.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Those numbers are percentages based on siring at least three 60 MAP/40 WAP matches for record.

So, in order to be classified as AA, a competitor would have to score above 552 MAP/368 WAP for at least three matches.

Not incredibly challenging.

In the US, our top 10 or so shooters in MAP are all consistently above 565 MAP. The top 4 shooters are all consistently above 570 MAP, with gusts to 578.

The top one or two shooters are all shooting around 578-584 tuypically, for big matches (our top [supported] shooters don't generally shoot PTOs).

Steve Swartz
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Further to Top End listing the Australian grading method, we also have Master grade which is attained once a shooter reacher 575/600 (sorry girls, I don't have the list for the female 40 shot match at hand).

Basically with the Australian system you are upgraded the first time you shoot a score in the next grade and remain there "forever." You can apply to be downgraded if you can prove you have not shot a score within your grade for the past couple of years.

It is different for Masters where you are automatically downgraded to A grade if you have not shot a Master score in the past 12 months.

Colin
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Australian Grades for Womens Air are
M 380+
A 365+
B 350+
C 320+
D <320

Spencer
Pradeep5

Post by Pradeep5 »

From what I remember a "Master" grade score has to be shot at a state champs or higher level competition as well?
crosshairs

Post by crosshairs »

How would one rate a regular 555 shooter using a FWB103?
What about 560?
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

ColinC wrote:Basically with the Australian system you are upgraded the first time you shoot a score in the next grade and remain there "forever."
Is it the first time ever that counts, or first time at a refereed competition?
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

MichaelB wrote:
ColinC wrote:Basically with the Australian system you are upgraded the first time you shoot a score in the next grade and remain there "forever."
Is it the first time ever that counts, or first time at a refereed competition?
Colin
you can always apply to be downgraded

Michael,
The first time

Spencer