MG2 Struggler:

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

The MG2 likely is not a beginner pistol only because it is a complex gun terms of moving parts, adjustments, etc... If you are mechanically inclined, then purchasing one is not a major issue.

I have had a few problems with mine, stuborn problems, but even with that said I would purchase another one if I needed to replace my current model. Customer Service from Match Guns, is stellar!

Brian
Canada
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

I'll second Brian's comments. The MG-2 is perhaps more complex mechanically than some other pistols. I think we found that out earlier this week while working on his. If you're the kind of shooter who wants to take the pistol out of the gunbox once a month, shoot it, then throw it back in the gunbox then the MG-2 is likely the wrong pistol for you. If, on the other hand, you're the kind of shooter who regularly takes his (or her) pistols apart to clean them, knows how to adjust the triggers, and generally enjoys mechanical devices, then the MG-2 can be a good choice for you.

Personally, I have two MG-2's that work pretty much flawlessly. They're the kind of gun that you can pick up, throw any kind of ammo in, shoot the daylights out of it, then put it away without cleaning it. Others have not been as fortunate and have had to tinker with their MG-2's to make them work.

I'll be up front and say that I've had to tinker with my Pardini SP1 Electronic to make it work reliably, and had to do some pretty heavy-duty work on my Feinwerkbau AW93 in order to get it work. Some of that work was done after I sold it because it worked with all the ammo brands that I shot but still wouldn't work the the ammo brand used by the gentleman who purchased it. These days it seems like there is no guarnatee, even after having spent big $$ on a high-end competition pistol, that it will work reliably right out of the box. One poster here on TT indicated that he purchased a brand new MG-2 recently and it worked perfectly from the first shot onward. To my way of thinking the MG-2 is no better or worse than any other high-end competition pistol. Except the MG-2 just happens to be the only pistol I've had in my hands in recent years that I can shoot well.
Héctor Argentina

mg 2

Post by Héctor Argentina »

I have a mg2 rapid since 2005, and I shoot more or less 20000 rounds, with any kind of problem or broken pieces, is the best pistol I ever use.
MG2-owner

Visiting Argentina

Post by MG2-owner »

If I go to Argentina again, may I drive by an give you a substansial money offer for that exclusive MG2 of yours, Hector?

The one and only problemfree MG2 ever known to mankind.
julioalperi

Post by julioalperi »

Well, mine is absolutly 100% trouble free. built in feb. 2007. s/n 2233. SORRY, NOT FOR SALE!!!
kmk678gc

Post by kmk678gc »

I've had a MG-2 since 2004 #11XX the only function problems I have is with subsonic ammo sometimes it fails to feed.
kmk678gc

Post by kmk678gc »

I've had a MG-2 since 2004 #11XX the only function problems I have is with subsonic ammo sometimes it fails to feed.
Fred

Curious

Post by Fred »

To MG2 owners:

I have never taken apart an MG2, and know very little about their mechanics. However, I have been told that one half of the sear is mounted in the bottom unit, and one half is mounted in the top. IOW, each time the gun is taken down, the vital sear relationship is separated and then reset. I have never seen a complaint about this, and in fact I have read many glowing reports about the trigger. Nevertheless, this seems like a potentially major design flaw.

So, was I misinformed? Is this not an issue? Is it potentially an issue? Inquiring minds want to know ;-)

TIA,
FredB
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Nope, it's not an issue. We had some trouble with the earliest series MG2E due to the upper sear between the long lever and the hammer, but that has been corrected in the latest update. The rest of the trigger system is one of the best features on the MG2, IMHO.
guester

Not many of those around....

Post by guester »

julioalperi wrote:Well, mine is absolutly 100% trouble free. built in feb. 2007. s/n 2233. SORRY, NOT FOR SALE!!!
Of course you shall not sell on of the very few functional MG2s around. It may become a collectors pease in a not too far future....

Among with the single gun from "kmk678gc" and one reported sound gun in Argentina, your MG2 in Spain is one of a kind.

There are rumours about one MG2 working well up in Arkansas, though...
A total of four healty MG2s out of at least 2233 produced?
Let us calculate: 4/2233 is about one out of every 558, og less than 2 per mill.
Failure percentage is then an overwhelming 99,98 percent. Oomph......

You have heard of an failure free MG2 rapidfire in France? The one that did well in one competition?
Sorry, but that one is not behaving well now.
All MG2s in France, to my knowledge, are "(Les) Miserables". (!)
:-0
Scott H.

Post by Scott H. »

Add me to the list of satisfied MG-2 owners.

And, it does seem somewhat cowardly to slam a product so, as an anonymous "guest."
Ernie Rodriguez

MG-2

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

Ditto-my MG2 works great.
BpBrinson

MG2

Post by BpBrinson »

After aprox. 6K rounds with only one cleaning at 3.5k I have had only one failure to feed out of the 1st magazine after the cleaning at 3.5K. I could not say that about my previous Pardini.

Brooks
gunnery

Re: MG-2

Post by gunnery »

Ernie Rodriguez wrote:Ditto-my MG2 works great.
Myne to
Ted Bell

Re: MG-2

Post by Ted Bell »

gunnery wrote:
Ernie Rodriguez wrote:Ditto-my MG2 works great.
Myne to
Same here. Thousands and thousands of rounds and I can't even remember having one failure. And it's a 1200 series.

With regards to "guest's" failed logic, I think the participants of this board with no problems with their MG-2 already outnumber the participants of the board who had problems.

-Ted

(I just wish there was someone in my region who had the MG-2E. I'd really love to try it and see if I like it better than my Pardini electric.)
Héctor Argentina

Post by Héctor Argentina »

By now my mg 2 rapid 1º version is not for sale, for me is better than the 2º version (2 front shock absorbers versus 4), my father have one of this, try it, and the I feel the recoil lighter in the oldest one!!! is better than pardini, walther (gsp and ssp), fas and hämmerli (280 and sp 20), I tried all of this pistol and my conclusion is this.
guester

I´d love to own a MG2 that can be used in competition...

Post by guester »

Mine is a cumbersome single-shot pistol. A real pine.

Anybody around willing to trade off their perfectly functioning MG2 to a very disappointed shooter?
guesteer

I´d love to own a MG2 that can be used in competition...

Post by guesteer »

Mine is a cumbersome single-shot pistol. A real pine.

Anybody around willing to trade off their perfectly functioning MG2 to a very disappointed shooter?
Ted Bell

Re: I´d love to own a MG2 that can be used in competition...

Post by Ted Bell »

guesteer wrote:Mine is a cumbersome single-shot pistol. A real pine.

Please share with us what the problem is, and what you've done to try and correct it. Maybe someone here can help. Have you contacted the folks at MatchGuns for their assistance?
Mike Taylor

MG2

Post by Mike Taylor »

"a cumbersome single-shot pistol"
Not that something else couldn't be amiss, but that describes perfectly an MG2 with a damaged (broken, cracked, or just stretched) Bullet Insert Lever.
I suspect a damaged BIL is the most common cause of problems with an MG2. Casual inspection might not reveal that the BIL is damaged. It might be necessary to remove the top shroud to get a better look at the pivot area of the BIL - possibly even remove the BIL from the shroud.
Mike T.