Setting the sights. Best method?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
peter5761

Setting the sights. Best method?

Post by peter5761 »

As a complete Novice, what is the best way to set the sights on a Target pistol, I have a Rohm Match, Where on the 10mtr target do you set the sight on?
ie Bottom edge of the Black bull portion sitting on the sights ?

thanks
GaryBF

Post by GaryBF »

Exactly where you place the front sight relative to the black is a personal preference. Some shooters use a center hold, some use a 6 o'clock hold as you described, and some use a sub-6 hold. I suggest that you start with a 6 o'clock hold where the black sits just atop the front sight. Read the following thread for more information: http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php ... highlight=
peter5761

Post by peter5761 »

Cheers Garry for pointing me in the right direction.
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

IMHO all shooters should start with the sub-6 hold, i.e. the sights are aligned below the bullseye in the white underneath. Do not look at the bull. Do not pay attention to where the sights are relative to the bull. Align the sights as best you can against the white background and pull the trigger without disturbing the alignment of the sights.

Once you are shooting 560+ AP you probably have a smooth trigger pull and the confidence to accept the movement at the target. Then it is safe to experiment with other holds.

Teaching a new shooter to use the 6 o'clock hold is almost guaranteed to create hesitation in the trigger finger. If you must hold on a specific spot on the target, use a center hold (sights aligned on the center of the bullseye). The sights will be hard to see, but at least your trigger finger will accept some movement of the target behind the sights.

Best regards,
Steve Turner
2650 Plus

Hold

Post by 2650 Plus »

Herschel Anderson, Holder of the national 3 gun record of 2680 often is asked where he holds. Unless he has changed his answer in the last 30 and some years. the answer has always been center hold. I use the center hold also and part of the reason is that if the target appears black I know I am not focused on the front sight. When the eye is properly focused the target appears as a grey, fuzzy thing out in space and the front sight is black with sharp corners and the rear is almost as black with a clearly defined flat top and a square notch with straight sides. My effort to allign sights is devoted to having the same ammount of light visible on the both sides of the front sight and the flat top of the front sight level with the top of the rear. I have never experimented with the sub six hold and am not qualified to recommend it. There may be one issue you should be aware of. It will be very easy to look beyond the front sight rather than at it to the detriment of good sight allignment using sub six. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Hold is another one of those personal things, as its free, its best to try them and see what works best for you.

For 25 and 50 m events I shoot center hold, just like Bill said I find it easy to tell if I'm mid ranging plus and it seems to work for me becasue I can easily pick out the black sight on the gray target. For air I use a deep sub six, at 10m I don't get enough contrast between the front sight and the target (target still appears too black for me). If you do try them try them for a while to give each a fair shake. Good luck and have fun.
peter5761

Advice taken

Post by peter5761 »

After the advice I shot a card, vast improvement on my last 100 shots.
Attachments
last card
last card
DSCN3363.JPG (43.17 KiB) Viewed 1921 times