Air pump to refill Air pistol cylinders

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
gn303

Post by gn303 »

Some of you seem to have experience in using pumps to fill the air cylinder. Personally, I’m using a scuba diving cylinder to refill the cylinder of my air gun. Of course after a number of refills, the cylinder will no longer deliver 200 bar. I feel comfortable up to 150. I have considered to buy an air pump (a compressor being too costly). I’m worried though that the pump would produce too much moister. The documentation on compressors stresses their ability to deliver ‘dry’ air. Has anyone experience with air pumps such as the one offered by Gehmann?
Thanks for your comments.
Guy
2650 Plus

Gehmann hand pump

Post by 2650 Plus »

I purchased one from champions choice and am completely satisfied with it, However it is being advertised as so easy to use even a child can do it. That is true so long as the child weighs over 200 pounds. [maybe I've taken a bit of poetic license] In any case, I am very pleased with the one I have. Good Shooting Bill Horton
dlindenbaum

Post by dlindenbaum »

Well, I tried one for the first time this week. Cylinder filled with low pressure tank and was using pump to top it off. I weigh 140 lbs. I had both feet off the ground while applying my max force. Pump was bolted to a larger wood board for increased stability. I couldn't depress the pump. It will work great if you can 'handle" it. I couldn't.

Dennis
Matt

Re: Air pump to refill Air pistol cylinders

Post by Matt »

You should really consider having the tank refilled and you will be refilling your cylinders up to 200 bar again. In addition, your cylinder refill station can then inspect the inside for rust or flaws when the expiration date nears or expires. There isn't a cost justification to purchase a pump (with dryer and filter) as opposed to a few dollars for the cylinder refill and inspection just to top it off.
jipe

Post by jipe »

I have a Gehmann pump and for somebody nornally fit, it is not a problem to fill the cylinders. It takes a couple of minutes to refill ia 200bar pistol cylinder from the lower limit to 200bar.

However, I couldn't clarify the real risk of corrosion linked to the use of a pump. It is clear that a pump cannot provide dry air, there will always be some moisture introduced into the cylinder.

The information I found is:
- in the user manual of Steyr pistols, the hand pump is one of the recommended methods
- several big shops told me they never encountered any failure due to moisture
- some other shops told me that moisture should absolutely be avoided.
- on the website of Walther it is said that moisture should absolutely be avoided
- in the uiser manual of Anschutz rifles, the hand pump is not mentioned to refill the cylinders.

So, for safety, when I switched to a new pistol, I never used my pump to fill its scylinders.
tenex

Post by tenex »

I have a Hill pump with the air dryer, and I haven't seen any water drain out of the bypass valve yet.

I currently weigh about 200 pounds, and although I'm heavy enough to compress the pump, over 200 BAR it starts to hurt my wrists a bit. If I had a foot lever to help that last 8 inches or so, it'd be no problem. I'm considering only pumping up to 150 or so to save the personal wear and tear.

Other than that, I think it's a pretty clever gadget. I get almost 2 shots per pump, if someone came up with a pump that required twice the strokes for half the force, I think there'd be a market.

I would think that if the pumps were really a problem (moisture), the gun mfg's would be the first to voice an opinion.

Steve.
jipe

Post by jipe »

Walther sells a Walther branded version of the Hill pump so it should be OK for their pistol and rifles.

With my Gehmann pump, I never had moisture coming out the drain.

Anschutz was selling an hand pump similar to the Gehmann but Anschutz branded and doesn't sell it anymore.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

I'm also using a Hill pump wih the air dryer. Works great, no water problems noted so far. It's a fair workout...and the one time I'm glad to be heavy. I can get above the pump and put my weight into it, which works pretty well.

One tip...try doing 20 strokes at a time. Then take a break.
dlindenbaum

Post by dlindenbaum »

OK...How many people under the weight of 135 lbs are able to successfully manage the pump to full cylinder pressure? In England, I believe that is equal to 4 stones and 2 bob. Remember, we're under the honor system here.

Dennis
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

dlindenbaum wrote:OK...How many people under the weight of 135 lbs are able to successfully manage the pump to full cylinder pressure? In England, I believe that is equal to 4 stones and 2 bob. Remember, we're under the honor system here.

Dennis
And for the rest of the world, 135lb=61.4kg
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

= 9 stone 9 pounds

Spencer
gn303

Post by gn303 »

Thanks to all of you for sharing your expiences and views on the topic.
It was usefull information.
That's what makes 'TargetTalk' so valuable!
Good shooting!
Guy
James

Post by James »

I weigh 125, and I can easily pump mine. I have an FX branded one.

There are two types, the hill pump, and the FX pump. The FX one is easier to pump but takes more strokes.

You have to put muscle into it, I dont think mine will pump very easily by just putting body weight into it.

Most of the other pumps with different brand names are made by FX.
robf

Post by robf »

are the refil shops that far away from you?

i have a 3 and a 7 ltr 300 bar, the club has a 12...the 3 i take to shoots, the 7 stays at home...when i get down close to 200 bar i refil..it costs between £1 & £3...and lasts ages, and i do somewhere around 500 a week, easily double that when im in the mood and most of it is 12ft/lb shooting.

Post by Guest »

The main advantage of hand pump is that it is the only easy solution if you have to travel by plane.
Einar

Post by Einar »

I use the handpump for my LP10, and have never experienced any water problems over the years. However I live in a part of the world where the air relatively is cood and dry -:)

As for the work(out) involved in pumping the cylinders - my view is that every stroke makes me a little stronger and a more fit shooter -:)