How are shots scored...Need an explanation.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
somewhereinla

How are shots scored...Need an explanation.

Post by somewhereinla »

I was reading this article:
http://www.pilkguns.com/aphp/comphis.htm

And I don't quite understand how the shots are scored. Is there a special methodology? Is there a special tool or ruler that is being used? How does one compute his/her scores in a precise manner? Obviously I am talking about the tenth decimal place (.1, .2, .3 etc...).

I would really appreciated if someone could explain it to me.

thank you.
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

When shooting Finals, shots are scored in tenths of a point, and the farther into the ring the more the shot is worth.

If shooting on paper targets, a special scoring gauge is used to score tenths of a point.

The electronic targets do it automatically.
somewhereinla

Post by somewhereinla »

Okay, got it. So I guess this is it? right?
I am trying to find a place that sell them in the U.S.
I have done a search, but no luck.
Attachments
ap-final.jpg
ap-final.jpg (6.97 KiB) Viewed 2712 times
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

That looks much like the one my club has. I don't remember where we got it.

Check Neil Johnson or USA Shooting.

Post by Guest »

You will find this scoring gauge at: www.precision-sports.com.

somewhereinla wrote:Okay, got it. So I guess this is it? right?
somewhereinla

Post by somewhereinla »

Thank's. I did find this site but they don't have a phone number nor do they accept credit card. I wanted to see if there was an easier way...

I am just wondering, does any one use them for training, or do most people just do not count the decimal points while training ( by training I mean training at home the basics)

Thank you.
Anonymous wrote:You will find this scoring gauge at: www.precision-sports.com.

somewhereinla wrote:Okay, got it. So I guess this is it? right?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

somewhereinla wrote:I am just wondering, does any one use them for training, or do most people just do not count the decimal points while training ( by training I mean training at home the basics)
I would doubt if many people have ever used a decimal gauge, let alone used them for training.

Remember that even in major matches they will only be used to score the final; that's the top 8 in an air pistol match.
somewhereinla

Post by somewhereinla »

David Levene wrote:
somewhereinla wrote:I am just wondering, does any one use them for training, or do most people just do not count the decimal points while training ( by training I mean training at home the basics)
I would doubt if many people have ever used a decimal gauge, let alone used them for training.

Remember that even in major matches they will only be used to score the final; that's the top 8 in an air pistol match.
Got it. Thank you. Obviously I am new at this sport and still trying to understand how an air pistol match works and all the ins and outs of the sport. I didn't realized that the gauge was only used in final. That would explain why they are so hard to find.
.donthc

Post by .donthc »

i would like to ask all of you guys out there. Which type of scoring would you prefer? human scoring or electronic scoring?

some of my friends prefer electronic scoring, claiming that they are much more inaccurate than human scorers, whereby a 9.8-9.9 may be scored as a 10.0.

while some prefer human scorers, as they are more lax than machines.

what do you guys think?
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

At some ranges the human scorers (esp if they are also competitors) do try to pull the nimble monkeys back down into the barrel so to speak.

Steve Swartz
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Steve Swartz wrote:At some ranges the human scorers (esp if they are also competitors) do try to pull the nimble monkeys back down into the barrel so to speak.

Steve Swartz
??
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

.donthc wrote:i would like to ask all of you guys out there. Which type of scoring would you prefer? human scoring or electronic scoring?

some of my friends prefer electronic scoring, claiming that they are much more inaccurate than human scorers, whereby a 9.8-9.9 may be scored as a 10.0.

what do you guys think?
I think electronic targets are so rare in the US that few people have a valid opinion.

I've shot on them one time and liked it.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Or use an electronic ring scoring machine for paper targets - particularly for 10M competitions with 100+ shooters.

Rika, SAM, Disag, etc. do not get tired and blinky.

Spencer

Post by Guest »

GOVTMODEL wrote:
.donthc wrote:i would like to ask all of you guys out there. Which type of scoring would you prefer? human scoring or electronic scoring?

what do you guys think?
I think electronic targets are so rare in the US that few people have a valid opinion.

but dun you find that having a big glaring screen at the corner of your eye distracting? Secondly, you will have the temptation to ignore follow-through, and look at the screen upon firing. may affect your shot process.

true, that it is better than paper targets, allowing you to see your shot grouping, but the paper target, is not as distracting as a electronic target. that is, if you use a paper target, you would not mind so much about seeing the score, and complete the shot process (follow through and all that).

that is what i feel about electronic target. just my 1¢ worth

Post by Guest »

GOVTMODEL wrote:

what do you guys think?

but dun you find that having a big glaring screen at the corner of your eye distracting? Secondly, you will have the temptation to ignore follow-through, and look at the screen upon firing. may affect your shot process.

true, that it is better than paper targets, allowing you to see your shot grouping, but the paper target, is not as distracting as a electronic target. that is, if you use a paper target, you would not mind so much about seeing the score, and complete the shot process (follow through and all that).

that is what i feel about electronic target. just my 1¢ worth
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Anonymous wrote:but dun you find that having a big glaring screen at the corner of your eye distracting? Secondly, you will have the temptation to ignore follow-through, and look at the screen upon firing. may affect your shot process.
If the range has been sensibly designed you just move the monitor so that it is hidden by the shooting arm when on aim.

There are, unfortunately, some ranges that have been designed with little consideration for the problems affecting pistol shooters. This can result in the monitors being in a fixed, high level position which can indeed be distracting. That is not the fault of of electronic targets, it's the fault of bad range design.
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Anonymous wrote:
GOVTMODEL wrote:
.donthc wrote:

I have only had one opportunity to shoot on electronic targets; in Atlanta many years ago. The range had a fairly good layout and the monitors were not distracting.

The range at USAS had them only on the eight ports used for finals when I went there in 2004. Since I didn't make the final there no distractions for me:)