First Pistol for Competition

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
stlshooterhb

First Pistol for Competition

Post by stlshooterhb »

I've been shooting AP with a izh46m for a while now and shoot pretty well, but there is no matches around me (the closest is more than 4 hours, and I live in urban St. Louis!). I'm looking to buy a .22 pistol for Bull's Eye, 25 meter, silhouette, etc. My budget is about $500 if I sell the izh.

I'm thinking a ruger mkII, browning buckmark, or a berreta neo with a long barrel. Is it possible to use a revolver? I've always liked the looks of a S&W da or a ruger sa. My mom is not that big fan of guns, let alone those "evil" pistols, so a revolver might be a little more accepted. Semi-auto looks like the way to go for sure.

Post by Guest »

Of the 3 you mention, I can only recommend the Ruger. But a better choice may be a used IZH 35 or Hammerli Trailside - the IZH is the better option IMO. A K22 revolver could be a good choice for certain disciplines, but not for Bullseye.

Try posting a WTB in the buy/sell section and explain your situation. Someone may have a good used pistol they will sell you.

Also the Bullseye-L mailing list can be a source for advice and to purchase a pistol.

I'd advise to look rent a Ruger before you buy one - they're common as rental guns.

good luck
stlshooterhb

Post by stlshooterhb »

Cabelas has the Trailside but I didn't consider it because it has fixed sights. It also has no provision for a red dot, though I doubt I'll use one.
GaryBF

Post by GaryBF »

Unless you just want to shoot for recreation, forget the revolver; you cannot be competitive with one. As for semiautos, I suggest you look for a used Smith & Wesson Model 41, 422, or 622. Even better, in my opinion, look for a used High Standard Citation, Trophy, or Victor. The Ruger is okay but the trigger is not the best. When I was shooting in an indoor league there were more HS used than any other brand. FYI, there is a big gun show at the St. Charles Convention Center this month on 27-28 Oct. (www.stlweaponcollectors.com).
GaryBF

Post by GaryBF »

Unless you just want to shoot for recreation, forget the revolver; you cannot be competitive with one. As for semiautos, I suggest you look for a used Smith & Wesson Model 41, 422, or 622. Even better, in my opinion, look for a used High Standard Citation, Trophy, or Victor. The Ruger is okay but the trigger is not the best. When I was shooting in an indoor league there were more HS used than any other brand. FYI, there is a big gun show at the St. Charles Convention Center this month on 27-28 Oct. (www.stlweaponcollectors.com).

Post by Guest »

He has a budget of ~$500
jackh

Post by jackh »

This was about a $550 cost with the improvements, Very good accuracy and reliable
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v24/tgtpix/Ruger2.jpg
6string

Post by 6string »

Welcome!!
May I suggest looking for a used Ruger, either a MkI or MkII and keeping the IZH for at home practice. You could pick up a good one for around $200. (Ruger is about the safest bet in the used market due to Ruger's liberal repair policy.) As your ability improves, you can upgrade it with many more aftermarket parts than are available for any other .22 pistol. I have seen many people shoot quite competitively with a Ruger and, say, a Volquartsen Trigger kit. Anatomical grips, a variety of red dot sight mounts, custom barrels etc. abound.