International pistol ranges in US?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Capt. William

International pistol ranges in US?

Post by Capt. William »

Who would I write to to get a listing of international-style pistol ranges in the US?

Jim
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

You may want to further refine your question to:

(1) 50m electronic target ranges
(2) 50m target box ranges (fan fold targets)
(3) 25m electronic target ranges
(4) 25m turning, paper target, 5 target bay ranges
(5) 10m electronic target ranges
(6) 10m paper target carrier ranges

if this is what you are after
Capt. William

No. 4!

Post by Capt. William »

I'd go with No. 4, since rapid fire pistol is what I was thinking of when I posed the question.

But I'd also add, "air pistol".

Jim
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

We used to have an AP/AR range outside of NOLA in Jackson Barracks (run by Micky Brondum). No CF or RF though. Post-katrina, not even sure ifhte range has re-opened (Micky relocated to Missouri).

Where in LA are you? We ocassionally get folks from Shreveport over here in Dallas at the Dallas Pistol Club PTOs.

Steve Swartz
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

And PTOs outside of Houston (Rosenburg TX) run by Dmitry Shteymann.

Not sure if you are looking for practice ranges or matches?

Steve
Capt. William

I'm in NOLA!

Post by Capt. William »

I'm in NOLA, Steve! I hadn't known they ever had a range in Jackson Barracks. That whole area was devastated by Katrina, of course.

What does PTO mean?

Jim
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

PTO = Preliminary Try Out

Scores fired in PTO matches are used by the national governing body for our sport (the USAS) to establish eligibility to represent the US in international matches. Some PTOs are also selection matches (those run by teh national governing body specifically for that purpose, and the national championships) to determine who gets to represent the USA (not just who is eligible to represent the USA) in international competitions.

More accurate info is available ont he USAS website.

You are a member of the NRA and USAS, aren't you? Both organizations "sanction" international style pistol matches, but the USAS is the sanctioning body that controls access to international-level competition.

Also- not sure if Jackson Barrakcs ever re-opened, let alone re-opened the shooting range (indoor).

Rosenburg (Houston) matches are a 4-5 hour drive away from NOLA along I-10. You could drive out Friday night, shoot the PTO matches Saturday and Sunday morning (Air, Free, Standard, and Rapid) and then drive back to NOLA Sunday afternoon. A good "Bang for your Buck" weekend.

Steve Swartz
Capt. William

Thanks!

Post by Capt. William »

I'm a life member of the NRA, but no other shooting organizations. I've been a pistol plinker for years, not a competitor. I've gotten interested in air pistol because of the low noise, low cost (I can shoot in my own backyard!). Want to see how good I get at plinking, postal matches, NRA badge qualifications, before I start thinking seriously about match competition.

I was curious as to whether there were any international style ranges around here: maybe, eventually...

Jim
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Find an empty warehouse and Start One!

=8^)

Steve

(seriously there may be some international style "club shooting" in your area . . . the problem is finding them; if they don't do PTOs and/or don't hold NRA sanctioned international matches their info won't show up in the official match listings. Micky Brondum might still know some folks doing international shooting in the area. USAS might have Mickey's contact info? I know there was a presence of international shooting pre-katrina but who knows today. probably tracking down Mickey is your best bet. Shoot me an email at leslieswartz@verizon.net and i will dig through my archives looking for his contact info for you.)
Fred Mannis

Re: Thanks!

Post by Fred Mannis »

Capt. William wrote:I'm a life member of the NRA, but no other shooting organizations. I've been a pistol plinker for years, not a competitor. I've gotten interested in air pistol because of the low noise, low cost (I can shoot in my own backyard!). Want to see how good I get at plinking, postal matches, NRA badge qualifications, before I start thinking seriously about match competition.

I was curious as to whether there were any international style ranges around here: maybe, eventually...

Jim
I learned more, progressed faster in one year of competition in AP, than the previous five years of basement plinking. Jump in. The water's great.
Ted Bell

Post by Ted Bell »

Doug Bowser runs air events at the Southwest Gun Club in McComb, MS, which according to mapquest is only 111 miles from NOLA. (And in the world of Int'l pistol shooting, that's close!) I don't know what matches he is specifically offering, but here is his website:

http://swgc.tripod.com/

Thanks,
Ted