Steyr LP 5 Not Advancing pellet holder

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
tleddy

Steyr LP 5 Not Advancing pellet holder

Post by tleddy »

My recently acquired LP5 does not automatically advance to the following pellet and requires manual movement of the carrier. Anyone on the list have experience with this and know the cure?

Tillman in Florida
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Could be the trigger - try giving it a bit more overtravel ( = make it a little less crispy).
RobStubbs

Re: Steyr LP 5 Not Advancing pellet holder

Post by RobStubbs »

tleddy wrote:My recently acquired LP5 does not automatically advance to the following pellet and requires manual movement of the carrier. Anyone on the list have experience with this and know the cure?

Tillman in Florida
I would suggest you take it back to the supplier and ask them to rectify it. Or if that's a problem then talk to them. There are a number of things it could be, although I personally wouldn't have thought of the trigger. My gun developed a similar fault and that required repair by the service agent. Try loading and unloading the magazine into the feeder a few times at the start of each 5-shot series and see if that makes any difference. It won't solve the fault but may help work out what the problem is - and enable you to carry on shooting it.

Rob.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

tleddy wrote:My recently acquired LP5 does not automatically advance to the following pellet and requires manual movement of the carrier. Anyone on the list have experience with this and know the cure?

Tillman in Florida
Could be a worn magazine/carrier. Do you have more than one? Does it do it on both?
tleddy

Post by tleddy »

Tycho and Fred - I will give the suggestions a try.

Ron - I purchased the LP 5 used and will contact Pilkington for advice if the site suggestions fail.

Tillman

p.s. The gun shoot very well - except for the feed. tle
tleddy

Post by tleddy »

Tycho and Fred - I will give the suggestions a try.

Ron - I purchased the LP 5 used and will contact Pilkington for advice if the site suggestions fail.

Tillman

p.s. The gun shoot very well - except for the feed. tle
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Fred Mannis wrote:

Tillman in Florida
Could be a worn magazine/carrier. Do you have more than one? Does it do it on both?
One other thought Tillman - Perhaps the magazine and internal advance mechanism needs lubrication. I lubricate my magazines with SuperLube grease. About every tin and VERY VERY SPARINGLY. I put a dab on my finger and rub the magazines.
tleddy

Post by tleddy »

Thanks for the suggestions... sadly the same issue still exsts.

This particular LP5 is from an estate sale in New Jersey (I think). I have written to Pilkington for insructions to send it up for a refurbishment. I wll let you know the outcome.

Tillman
LP-5 owner

Post by LP-5 owner »

The otherwise sound Steyr LP-5 may develop two tricky "features":
-accasional full-auto double or even triple shots.
-action not cycled fully/magazine not indexing/magazine not advancing.

Cure for the first problem is often: adjust red-lackered screw to mace trigger pull less crisp (more sear engagement), and/or retract trigger stop some.

Cure for the second is often: reducing the pellet velocity some (retract tensioning screw in small increments (1/8 turn pr. step).

If this does not help, then sending the gun to a Steyr service senter may...
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

When this happened to mine I seem to remember the service agent adjusting the ring outside the velocity adjusting screw. This repositions the bolt assembly and changes the force required to recock it (from memory).

He did say that he loved shooters adjusting it themselves as he could then charge them for correcting their mistakes and they would normally ask for a full service at the same time.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

David Levene wrote:When this happened to mine I seem to remember the service agent adjusting the ring outside the velocity adjusting screw. This repositions the bolt assembly and changes the force required to recock it (from memory).
Always wondered what that ring was for. Something to remember in case I run into that problem. Thanks David
tleddy

Magazine not advancing on LP5

Post by tleddy »

List-

I decided that, since there are a number of variables (at least five per Scott), the gun is going to Pilkington for both correction and a refurb.

Tillman
Fred

Re: Magazine not advancing on LP5

Post by Fred »

tleddy wrote:List-

I decided that, since there are a number of variables (at least five per Scott), the gun is going to Pilkington for both correction and a refurb.

Tillman
So, please tell us what those variables are - or at least some of them.

TIA,
FredB
tleddy

Variables

Post by tleddy »

I extracted the variables from the suggestions posted above:

1. Trigger adjustment
2.Worn magazines
3.Pellet velocity
4. Ring outside velocity adjustment screw
5. Lubrication

... and probably others. I gave up :-)

Tillman
tleddy

Abject ignorance (mine)

Post by tleddy »

Tycho, Fred Dave and all-

This is my first AP that is automatic and I have never had one in my hand before. I read the user manual cover to cover before trying the gun as is my wont.

That being said, I totally misinterpreted the instruction for placing the magazine in the gun: I pushed the magazine in to the first detent - NOT all the way through to the stop!!!

After I sent the gun to Pilkington for a major tune-up and got it back I continud to make the same ignorant error. An email to Pilkington elicited a telephone response from Buck, who kindly walked me through and explained the correct meaning of "stop".

It is more than a little embarassing to have to admit ignorance... at least I learned and the gun is shooting far better than I can. If anyone at Pilkington reads this, Kudos to Buck!!

Tillman the Red Faced