sight alighnment - standard and 50m pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
John Ariani

sight alighnment - standard and 50m pistol

Post by John Ariani »

Because I've only really followed information on this forum regarding AP, I've never taken must notice of whether the sub six hold is the preferred (or recommended) one for 25m and 50m pistol events.
If one uses sub six for AP, is it correct to presume that when moving to the 25m and 50m disciplines - the same sight alighnment/hold should be adopted?
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Nope
John Ariani

Post by John Ariani »

Thanks Steve. Most helpful!!
Spencer

Re: sight alighnment - standard and 50m pistol

Post by Spencer »

John Ariani wrote:Because I've only really followed information on this forum regarding AP, I've never taken must notice of whether the sub six hold is the preferred (or recommended) one for 25m and 50m pistol events.
If one uses sub six for AP, is it correct to presume that when moving to the 25m and 50m disciplines - the same sight alighnment/hold should be adopted?
Sub-6 is OK for Standard and the Precision Stage of CF/Womens/Junior - LOTS of people use it very sucessfully.
The Rapid Fire target (RFP & RF Stages) is a whole different ball game.

Spencer
2650 Plus

area of aim

Post by 2650 Plus »

I can only report what has been most productive for me and try to justify my decision, My eye seems to find the exact center of a round black circle, therefore I train for and use center hold. When I focus precicely on the front sight the target becomes a gray fuzzy blob and the very black front sight and clear black rear sight can then be alligned properly. I take a very critical attitude about alligned sights contending that they are never perfect and I must try actively to perfect their relationship before the pressure on the trigger causes the pistol to fire. I always start the trigger finger moving just before the final settle and have the pistol fire during the first period of best stillness. I realize I have gone beyond the limit of your question so I'll stop now. Good Shooting Bill Horton
John Ariani

Post by John Ariani »

Bill said: I realize I have gone beyond the limit of your question so I'll stop now.

Not at all. Thanks Bill and Spencer. This forum is a wonderful form of help. Being naive and ignorant of what takes place in a particular shooting discipline can hold back the willingness to ask the question in the first place. Answers like yours not only educate and help - they also encourage. Thank you.
David Levene

Re: sight alighnment - standard and 50m pistol

Post by David Levene »

Spencer wrote:Sub-6 is OK for Standard and the Precision Stage of CF/Womens/Junior - LOTS of people use it very sucessfully.
The Rapid Fire target (RFP & RF Stages) is a whole different ball game.
I agree with Spencer on this.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

John:

You didn't think I was going to stop there, did you? =8^) It was momentarily refreshing to be able to answer a simple question with a simple answer though. Sometimes it's hard to keep track of who wants the "do it this way" answer vs the "let's talk about the issues" type answers!

Others will of course give very detailed personal preferences (and I actually wanted to wait a while before chiming in) but here goes.

1) There is some "comfort level advantage" to using the same sight picture for all events
2) Different sight pictures will of course provide different advantages for each event/discipline

The trade-off exists between the "comfrot level" (one size fits all) advantage and the "unique" (discipline specific) advantages.

It's up to you to manage the trade-off.

Comfort level: using the same sight picture may slightly improve consistency and comfort, provides simplicity, and may help reduce stress/confusion. DOn't need to think as hard.

Unique: For "rapid fire" style events, many shooters feel the center hold gives an advantage as being more "natural" hence quicker. For slow fire/precision stages, sub six or six holds provide easier ability to focus on sight alignment without the distraction of the fuzzy blob out there luring your concentration and focus away. For disciplines involving both slow and rapid type events, the shooter may want to make sight adjustments between events and use "best fit" sight picture as appropriate. This of course involves counting clicks etc. and not forgettting to make the sight corrections during a match.

O.K. that's the "big picture" and there is much argumentation involved in discussing the individual aspects of the merits/challenges of each sight picture vs. event . . . as well as much dispute over the magnitude of the benefits/costs of each.

I'm sure the discussion will ocntinue . . .

Steve
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Just to add a bit to the discussion/confusion:

I have recently switched from a sub 6 for AP and 25 yd (indoor) FP to center hold for 50 m (outdoor) FP. I have found that with the greater distance and outdoor light I can maintain proper focus on the front sight against a very gray blurry bull and the hold/aim feels steadier and more reproducible.
As Steve points out, each person has to make his own evaluation of the tradeoffs.
John Ariani

Post by John Ariani »

That's more like the Steve Swartz I've come to read. Thank you - and for all the other posts too.
Fred's change is probably a good example which covers a general point in all the ideas/points written above. I guess in the end it involves going and trying different hold patterns first to see what feels (and looks) good.
Impatient as I am I had this fantasy thought that I'd be able to pick up a free pistol, grab the correct hold pattern from the forum, and then rush off and shoot tens!!! Back to reality and there's some trial and error (and possibly some 6's or worse!!) to come first.
2650 Plus

sight picture

Post by 2650 Plus »

Over the years I have found that if I spend too much time speculating about theory instead of how I shoot my best shoots , my performance begins to suffer. So I try not to fall into the trap. Every thing I post is directly related to how I fire my best shots. The posts reinforce my shot delivery technique and If this information is helpful to another shooter that is just fine. If its not helpful please ignore what I am posting. Shoot tens your way.or mine , makes no difference as long as the tens are there on the target. Good Shooting, Bill Horton