Morini 162 EA - Grip Adjustments

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Haleva

Morini 162 EA - Grip Adjustments

Post by Haleva »

What kind of Grip adjustments this gun support (Morini 162 EA) ?
Are they similar to the LP10 ? (I'm specifically interested in changing the angle of the grip to correct the front sight position (left or right when the natural arm position does not put it in the center of the rear sight)
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

As a 162EI (same as EA) owner I have to say that the grip adjustments for left/right correction on the LP10 are MUCH better than they are on the Morini.

If you are planning on having a new grip made or heavily modifying the original grip then you might consider the 162EI. If however you want to do as little work as possible to the original grip but you need left/right adjustment then the 162EI is not the gun for you.

Hope this helps.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

The Morini grips are just as adjustable as the Steyr, but the tools are different:

Steyr: Allen Wrench

Morini: Dremel Tool, putty

=8^)

Steve Swartz
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Steve's comments above may seem somewhat flippant, but I can assure you that while he was definitely grinning when he wrote them, they are in fact the simple truth of the situation, learned over time and through experimentation.

I believe there are many people who purchase the LP10 based on the adjustability of the grip, and shy away from the Morini because the grip is not adjustable with an Allen key. This is, I believe, the wrong fundamental reason for choosing the Steyr over the Morini.

With only a minor amount of skill and an investment of a few hours time, a shooter can safely modify the Morini CM162 grip to accommodate a wide degree of needs. On a personal note, I initially selected Steyr products (LP1, LP10) because of their grip adjustability. I have since moved to the CM162EI Short because of its more favourable weight distribution (according to my tastes) and because it has quite probably the very best trigger in the business. It took me about a month of trial and error to get the CM162 grip to fit well, but since those initial days I haven't needed to change a thing. In comparison, it took me several months with the Steyr to determine which combination of grip angle settings produced better results. This isn't a reflection on the technology itself so much as on the learning curve of the shooter and his ability to sort out grip-related shot errors from shot errors associated with other causes.

Having a grip which is adjusted "the hard way" encourages a shooter to make a more thorough evaluation of shot errors attributable to grip errors, and to modify the grip more slowly to ensure the changes made actually reduce shot errors. In this day and age of "instant everthing" I'm beginning to believe that a properly modified grip is of significantly greater value to the shooter than is an easily-modified grip.

OK, I've said my piece - flame on, folks! ;-)
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Steve Swartz wrote:The Morini grips are just as adjustable as the Steyr, but the tools are different:

Steyr: Allen Wrench

Morini: Dremel Tool, putty

=8^)

Steve Swartz
That's not quite true. The electronics in the morini take up a lot of space and if you dremmel too far you will go through the woodwork into the cavity or electronics. With the Steyr you can pretty much chop off as much as you want and will still have room to spare.

Rob.
tinder

Post by tinder »

[/quote]

That's not quite true. The electronics in the morini take up a lot of space and if you dremmel too far you will go through the woodwork into the cavity or electronics. With the Steyr you can pretty much chop off as much as you want and will still have room to spare.

Rob.[/quote]

...i would say that if you had to modify the grip so much that you went into the circuit board, you bought the wrong size grip in the first place.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

tinder wrote:
...i would say that if you had to modify the grip so much that you went into the circuit board, you bought the wrong size grip in the first place.
Again not true. Everybodies hands are different and it's not just size of hand that changes equally between people. Finger length is an obvious example. You also overlook other less common issues such as cross eye dominance or in my case inability to straighten the arm (see avatar). My grips are nothing like the originals and morini's just couldn't cope with the changes required.

Rob.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Rob - there will always be cases such as yours where regular grinding/filling techniques can't be made to work. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if in many of those unique cases the Steyr grip would have to be taken to the limit of its travel and then ground/filled to gain additional range of adjustment. And then there are those for whom no "factory" grip will ever fit, leaving a custom grip as the only alternative. In these instances I would agree that not having an electronics module in the grip could be of great advantage.

For the run-of-the-mill shooter who isn't coping with the kinds of challenges you've mentioned, there's plenty of adjustability available by grinding and filling the Morini grip. As an example, I have about 10 degrees of left/right offset and have increased the rake angle by quite a few degrees (my Steyr is at the max rake angle and I still find it's not enough). I also have short fingers and have modified the grip to accommodate my quirky little hands. Granted, in one area I'm down to having almost no wood left, but I think this illustrates how far one can go with the CM162 in terms of adjustability.

BTW, ever since you started posting with an avatar I've thought "what a cool stance"! ;-)
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Mark Briggs wrote:For the run-of-the-mill shooter who isn't coping with the kinds of challenges you've mentioned, there's plenty of adjustability available by grinding and filling the Morini grip. As an example, I have about 10 degrees of left/right offset and have increased the rake angle by quite a few degrees (my Steyr is at the max rake angle and I still find it's not enough). I also have short fingers and have modified the grip to accommodate my quirky little hands. Granted, in one area I'm down to having almost no wood left, but I think this illustrates how far one can go with the CM162 in terms of adjustability.

BTW, ever since you started posting with an avatar I've thought "what a cool stance"! ;-)
Mark,
My point was really around the fact that I know an 'ordinary' shooter, in so far as annatomical requirements of the grip go, that has gone through the wood to the electronics. Remember also that if you have a medium or small grip you have less wood to play with than for example a large.

Never thought of my stance as cool but apparently some people have tried copying it with disasterous consequences ;-)

Rob.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Rob - your point is well made and well taken. I'm pretty normal in terms of grip needs and have almost sanded through to the electronics, but that's because I was really pushing the limit of rake angle. The electronics do indeed pose a limitation on how far one can go.

I should also mention that I've seen several Morini grips that have been very inexpertly modified, with poor results. It is easy to sand through to the electronics, so if you're grinding away with the Dremel you need to actually be alert and mindful of what you're doing. Of course, any time I'm whittling away on a piece of walnut that's worth several hundred dollars I tend to be careful - that's the cheapskate in me showing through!

I still think your stance looks cool, but know without trying that it would be disastrous for me to try to copy. Isn't it gratifying to know that some folks think enough of your style to try to copy it? ;-)