spectacle wear

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
awadhnavab

spectacle wear

Post by awadhnavab »

There are two age groups for shooters:
1. those below forty years.....meaning they do not require corrective glasses for near vision

2.Above forty: Require corrective glasses for clear near/intermediate vision.

My question: I am near fifty and use a plus correction for distance which is about + 1. For reading I use addition of +2...that means I use + 3 for near. For intermediate (eg focussing on the front sight) I would need to use about +2. Now is that the correction I should use or should I use my distance power with which the target is in perfect focus(which is not good?) and the sights are blurred.

And should a shooter above forty with perfect distance vision use some + correction to get the front sight in perfect focus.

Using near/intermediate glasses gives me the other advantage of not being able to focus clearly on the target at any time hence allowing me to ignore the target more easily. Comments?
David Levene

Re: spectacle wear

Post by David Levene »

awadhnavab wrote:My question: I am near fifty and use a plus correction for distance which is about + 1. For reading I use addition of +2...that means I use + 3 for near. For intermediate (eg focussing on the front sight) I would need to use about +2. Now is that the correction I should use or should I use my distance power with which the target is in perfect focus(which is not good?) and the sights are blurred.
In my experience most shooters benefit from using normal distance prescription with between +0.5 and +1 extra

awadhnavab wrote:And should a shooter above forty with perfect distance vision use some + correction to get the front sight in perfect focus.
Yes, they will probably benefit

awadhnavab wrote:Using near/intermediate glasses gives me the other advantage of not being able to focus clearly on the target at any time hence allowing me to ignore the target more easily. Comments?
That's the way I have always liked to shoot.
Lss

Post by Lss »

yes i agree im myopic and have added +.25 to my prescribed power. feels insufficient. i guess i will find time to get a +.5 lens to try it out.

btw even at +.25 there is much less strain on the eyes compared to without.