Pellet weight for AP

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Mellberg

Post by Mellberg »

No I stood there and shot free-hand with my left hand standing on one foot.

Of course it was a clamped gun!

"Oh I can't believe it...."
"Did you really?..."
"Was it really?..."

Come on! Give me a break! Superhigh quality or not, the little buggers went all over and the other pellets didn't. Is that really so hard to comprehend?
Lss

Post by Lss »

your right though.

well you have to clamp a gun to test rounds. no one on earth is good enough to be able to test at the level we want just shooting it normally.

you dont see ppl shooting inner 10s all the time right?
AAlex

Post by AAlex »

Were they 4.48mm?

One theory is that particular type of pellets was too loose for the barrel so they were blown off the rifling, and would perform much better in a tighter barrel and/or lower velocity.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

.donthc wrote:even if the pellets are defective. they should not be going all over the place as you described. i have shot pellets which have an almost flattened tail, and they shoot fine (i know it is damaging to gun, but its an experiment.)

i simply cannot believe that top-quality pellets such as RWS R10 (regardless of being defective or not defective), can "fly all over the place"

did you try out the pellets with a clamped gun?
How is it damaging the gun? Soft lead damaging a steel barrel, I must have missed that when I was taking metalurgy.
Lss

Post by Lss »

there is a slight chance that in the process of flattening something abrasive like sand or metallic dust might have embedded itself onto the pellet.

alternatively something loose from the pellet might end up at the valve.

i wonder if its possible that the bad pellet might get slightly sheared when the cocking leaf is closed in systems where you dont sit the pellet in the chamber. ie fwb mod 103 it is pushed in when you close it.

dont they state the pellet diameter on the testing card? i remember seeing it printed on the card. so i guess that might be the best diameter to use?
jipe

Post by jipe »

Lss wrote:there is a slight chance that in the process of flattening something abrasive like sand or metallic dust might have embedded itself onto the pellet.

alternatively something loose from the pellet might end up at the valve.

i wonder if its possible that the bad pellet might get slightly sheared when the cocking leaf is closed in systems where you dont sit the pellet in the chamber. ie fwb mod 103 it is pushed in when you close it.

dont they state the pellet diameter on the testing card? i remember seeing it printed on the card. so i guess that might be the best diameter to use?
Some brand do that (Steyr, Walter) other don't (Anschutz). Now I do not think that it is the results a search for the best diameter for each gun, it is just the diameter they have used for their test shots.
Lss

Post by Lss »

i have no experience with pellet or ammo testing at all so does that mean mean that the demo card is not the smallest 1 hole that can be made with a pistol?

to me it looks as good as humanly possible.

if possible could someone post a real good vs bad test cards?
AAlex

Post by AAlex »

You won't find a bad test card as they are made with paper punchers, not by shooting ammo.

What makes me say that? One needs to spend time fiddling with various brands, diameters, weights, and velocity to even approach the groups on the test cards. How can they possibly accomplish that at the factory?

You think they'd waste all that time at the factory where they have thousands of guns to test? The maximum they can do is grab ammo that is nearest, test fire couple of rounds from the vise to make sure that it is "good enough", and then punch a hole in the middle of the "test target".

That's my conspiracy theory :)
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Lss wrote:i have no experience with pellet or ammo testing at all so does that mean mean that the demo card is not the smallest 1 hole that can be made with a pistol?

to me it looks as good as humanly possible.

if possible could someone post a real good vs bad test cards?
No its a quality control test and it means that it shot an exceptable sized group and thats all. You may find something that shoots better you may not.