CM 84E ammunition

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Trev2205

CM 84E ammunition

Post by Trev2205 »

I'm about to buy a Morini CM84E, any comments on which is the "best" ammunition to use ? i.e. does it "like" (generally speaking) one brand or another ?
Also, does everyone use the same ammunition in training as in matches ?

All comments gratefully received.

Trev.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Trevor:

You'll find if you do a search that this has been cussed and discussed several times before.

Shorthand version:

- Buy match grade ammo (some cheap stuff like CCI standard vel (blue box) Aguila, Wolf, etc. are considered "Match Ammo" OBTW)
- Each gun will slightly prefer one lot number (not brand) over another; two guns with consecutive serial numbers will slighlty prefer different brands/lot numbers

More importantly

- The difference between lot numbers for a single brand are frequently larger than the differences between different brands, for an individual gun
- The differences between serial numbers of individual gun models will frequently be larger than the differences between types of gun, for an individual lot number of ammo

Most importantly

- The differences between several "really good" lot number/serial number combinations and the "best" combination are meaningless

Therefore

- Find something that works "pretty good"* and forget about it until you are regularly breaking 550 in FP

These "rules of thumb" apply to .22 LR only- and are particularly true for pistols; still pretty true for rifles.

In my humble (of course) opinion.

Steve Swartz

* something that will give you 98%, ten shot groups, with dot scope, off sandbags
Mellberg

Post by Mellberg »

Mine works fine with Eley ammo. Actually the cheap yellow Standard Pistol cartrigde works very well. I shot 565 with it.
Jim Cronin

FP Ammo Testing

Post by Jim Cronin »

Steve,

How did you mount a Dot scope on your FP? What hardware did you select? Thanks in advance for your help..

Jim
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Jim:

Get a block of nylon/phenolic/hardwood and drill a hole through it slightly undersize to barrel OD. Split in half and mount brakets ("Dogears") so you can clamp the two pieces together around the barrel. Saw a piece off a weaver rail to mount the dot on and screw it intot he top of the block.

I use a single-mount on a 1" Ultra Dot . . . with only one mount it "vibrates" a bit between shots but I can also keep the length of the mount block shorter.

I clamp it on my CM84E just in front of the reciever. I know it's having some effects on barrel harmonics etc. but I am looking for relative performance between different rounds, not absolute performance (since I shoot offhand anyhow).

Steve

[I tried clamping a laser sight onto the trigger guard . . . great idea in theory but in practice I would have had to aim the while looking at the dot on the target through a scope. Also limited the use of sandbags. Just wasn't practical.]
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Jim:

Get a block of nylon/phenolic/hardwood and drill a hole through it slightly undersize to barrel OD. Split in half and mount brakets ("Dogears") so you can clamp the two pieces together around the barrel. Saw a piece off a weaver rail to mount the dot on and screw it intot he top of the block.

I use a single-mount on a 1" Ultra Dot . . . with only one mount it "vibrates" a bit between shots but I can also keep the length of the mount block shorter.

I clamp it on my CM84E just in front of the reciever. I know it's having some effects on barrel harmonics etc. but I am looking for relative performance between different rounds, not absolute performance (since I shoot offhand anyhow).

Steve

[I tried clamping a laser sight onto the trigger guard . . . great idea in theory but in practice I would have had to aim the while looking at the dot on the target through a scope. Also limited the use of sandbags. Just wasn't practical.]
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

And always remember Ragnar Skanaker, who, when asked about his choice of ammo, replied "the cheapest, of course!"
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

"Mellberg", well done on your 565 !!
Mellberg

Post by Mellberg »

Thank you, it was one of those days when everything seemed to work out just the way you want to.

Tycho:
When was this? Last time I spoke with mr Skanaker he used Norma 1 and 2. They are not very cheap at all, but he is sponsored by Norma.
However I don't think he would go to the WC or Olympics with let's say CCI crap-ammo just becuase it's cheap.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

It was in an interview some years ago, but I can't remember where, perhaps I'll find it somewhere someday while cleaning up. I am very sure though about what (was written that) he said - I laughed for days afterwards :-) Me, as a FP-only-for-recreation shooter - I prefer the sort of ammo which cases get ejected by my 84E every single time - I hate those sticky cases...
CROB

Ammo & Ragnar

Post by CROB »

Our club in Melbourne (Oz) has a photo of Ragnar, next to a target with a possible (100) in Free Pistol - shot at the club years ago.
He used T22 because at the time it was the cheapest.
Backs up the claim...

By the way I use Geco Rifle in my Cm84e. Groups are only 3-4mm larger than Midas L(shot from a clamped
vice), which costs 5 times the price!