CompetitIon problem (URGENT)

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
whorulz91

CompetitIon problem (URGENT)

Post by whorulz91 »

firstly, during a competition, my pistol would descend rapidly and often becoming lower then my aiming point

Secondly, my trigger seems to become heavier and my sights becomes slightly lower than normal.

Help pls!! thanks =0
Steyr Shutt

Trigger feeling heavier

Post by Steyr Shutt »

You dont need to worry too much about your trigger feeling heavier, and the inability to release normally during competition - its normal performance anxiety and pressure affecting fine motor skills which seem to work normally during practice and often break down during a high pressure match.

The cure is simpler, lots of match practice which helps you get used to those high pressure environments. Alternatively try simulating a pressure situation, ive always found having very close friends or family watching you closely ready to tease your bad shots a equally good way of learning to cope with loss of rhythm and concentration.

PS: Just adding this thought without posting a new comment ... in a match if you find your rhythm off, or your having the difficulties your describing try firing a few more sighting shots than you normally would to get your mechanism working (keep an eye on your time though).

ive always fired a few extra shots to just get the feel of things before i fire my actual sighter's - it never hurts, but mind you don't look at them or score them mentally ... just fire them and forget them - then move onto your sighter's and your match when you feel ready.
Last edited by Steyr Shutt on Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
whorulz91

thanks

Post by whorulz91 »

but any help for the first point??/
Steyr Shutt

Post by Steyr Shutt »

personally ive always found it helpful to coincide and match my bringing the pistol down into the aiming point along with my breathing.

normally i breath out slowly as my pistol lowers at the same time taking up the first stage of the trigger , the end of the exhale coincides with my pistol entering my aiming point or NPA, upon which i take a short 1/4 or half breath and hold it settling into my aim .. of course the whole thing is also timed to my taking up the first stage ... this may not work for you but over time its become routine for me.
RobStubbs

Re: CompetitIon problem (URGENT)

Post by RobStubbs »

whorulz91 wrote:firstly, during a competition, my pistol would descend rapidly and often becoming lower then my aiming point

Secondly, my trigger seems to become heavier and my sights becomes slightly lower than normal.

Help pls!! thanks =0
The answer is to train both elements so they do not happen, in training or competition. If you notice yourself over lowering then make sure you don't, and concentrate on it. It's only you lowering too much not any manifestation of the gun or the mechanics in a comp v training so only you can train it out.

Rob.
David Levene

Re: CompetitIon problem (URGENT)

Post by David Levene »

whorulz91 wrote:firstly, during a competition, my pistol would descend rapidly and often becoming lower then my aiming point
Out of interest, are the targets on the competition range and your training range at the regulation height (the target centre being 1.4m +/- 50mm above the level of the firing point).

It's an outside chance that this could be causing the problem, but it's much more likely to be between your ears.
whorulz91

height

Post by whorulz91 »

nope. its the standard 1.4m requirement.

The feeling is like you cant control the arm and its goes down real fast.
.donthc

Post by .donthc »

nevermind about dropping beyond the firing point.

you can't control ur muscle that much. as long as you dun drop too much beyond the point, that you have considerable difficult in raising the sights up again.
Fransms

Post by Fransms »

Hey

dropping your shots COULD be related to your focus on your sights, or more accaratly, NO focus on your sights!! You MUST focus on the front sight!

It helps for me, any way!! ;-)