Pistol shooting footwear - discuss.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
OMS Raider

Pistol shooting footwear - discuss.

Post by OMS Raider »

OK folks - the experienced amongst you will have a lot to say and the newer will be 'all ears'; count myself as the latter.

I can see why a flat stable platform is better than an arched platform but...

1. What shoes do people wear for shooting pistol?

2. Should we be spending £100/$100 on proper pistol shoes (eg. Sauer) or are there equal alternatives?

3. Who makes them besides Sauer and Corami?

Look forward to hearing from you.
Fred Mannis

Pistol shooting Shoes

Post by Fred Mannis »

Here's an extensive discussion from two years ago: viewtopic.php?t=11905&highlight=shoes.

One of the nice features of this site is that it has an excellent search engine.
Southpaw

pistol shoes

Post by Southpaw »

I was feeling a little crazy one day and had a little "mad" money so I went ahead and ordered a pair of Sauer "easy" pistol shoes.
I'm a "club shooter" only, and have tried skateboard shoes, but I have to say that I feel extremely "planted" on the floor with these stiff and high-arched shoes. I consider myself somewhat fortunate in that they fit me perfectly. I'm not the best shot in our club by far, and was feeling a little conspicuous the first few times I wore them, but my opinion is that if you can afford them, they sure feel good. I've got a feeling that improving my sight picture and trigger control are going improve my scores much more than shoes, but once you've tried them, and provided that they fit properly, you won't be able to deny the solid feeling they provide.

SP

Re: Pistol shooting Shoes

Post by Guest »

Fred Mannis wrote:One of the nice features of this site is that it has an excellent search engine.
Which I didn't use....

Thank you Fred very helpful (again) will go have a look see.

Best wishes
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

A new and popular shooting shoe for pistol seen at the Europeans (Air) earlier this year and on cartridge ranges is the Corami. They are supplied with a range of customisable insoles so that a solid platform tailored to the specific shooter can be developed. For serious shooters, this will be an important part of their set-up.

They also do rifle shoes as well.

www.corami.ch

www.corami.ch/html/shooting.html
ausdiver99

Post by ausdiver99 »

Another and cheaper option is to try is ten-pin bowling shoes. My wife's have a firm, flat sole still with a little lift at the heel so they look a little more like the purpose-built shootring shoes (unlike lawn bowls shoes which are dead flat).
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

You're not exactly getting the point. A flat sole is only half of the equation, equally important is good feedback, and that's where the Corami shoe excels. It's stiffer than all the others while a) still being legal by the rules and b) despite this not generating any pressure points that would start to hurt. But it gives a perfect feedback about the quality of your stance. And it can be customized with special inlays.
ausdiver99

Post by ausdiver99 »

You [may] get what you pay for.

My wife can shoot A grade air scores in high heels with little improvement when she reverts to conventional footwear so maybe there's not a heap of difference to be had.

The question was are Sauer's etc worth the money? Only the buyer can decide that and then only after a considerable investment. That's fine if one can afford it, but if not then a little inexpensive playing with options might give some people an idea.

Me? I wouldn't blow 250 bucks on 5 pairs of any shoes let alone 1 pair of shooting shoes but I'm not a master grade shooter, nor do I aspire to be.

Happy shooting!

The diver
Southpaw

Shoes

Post by Southpaw »

As I posted earlier, I have the Sauer shoes. and I have to agree that the feedback is significant. As soon as you're off stance a little you can feel pressure on the top or side of your foot. When you are centered and balanced you feel no pressure and the sensation that you are "glued" to the floor.
I'm not qualified to get into a "name brand" comparison, but I find it hard to believe that any other brand would be any stiffer than the Sauers. You cannot bend them with normal walking and in fact cannot walk normally.
As for the price..... when put into perspective is only about 1/8th the cost of many of the top airpistols.
If you get a chance to try a pair, of any brand, I think you'll be impressed, but don't take my word for it.

Regards,
SP
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

In my opinion they are worth the money, but to be fair you can get good 'ordinary' shoes or trainers that work pretty well for shooting. As long as they have a flat and reasonably solid platform then they will be better than some of the very curved trainers that some people wear.

This question is reminiscent of many you see here. Simply put they will help you to some degree and if you want to shoot the best you can then you should buy some. If you are happy with your shooting now, then save your money.

Rob.
shadow

Shooting Shoes

Post by shadow »

I have the AHG Anschutz shoes. They are not all that expensive - around US $150. I like them for Air Pistol but not for Free Pistol since there is a lot of walking for scoring. They are not very comfortable if you do anything other than stand still!
RobStubbs

Re: Shooting Shoes

Post by RobStubbs »

shadow wrote:I have the AHG Anschutz shoes. They are not all that expensive - around US $150. I like them for Air Pistol but not for Free Pistol since there is a lot of walking for scoring. They are not very comfortable if you do anything other than stand still!
I use AHG shoes and find mine very comfortable (although I have custom made orthopedic insoles). The only time I don't use them, is if I'm walking across wet, muddy ground to score.

Rob.
Fred Mannis

Re: Shooting Shoes

Post by Fred Mannis »

RobStubbs wrote:I use AHG shoes and find mine very comfortable (although I have custom made orthopedic insoles). The only time I don't use them, is if I'm walking across wet, muddy ground to score.
Why not get a pair of oversize galoshes to wear over them :-0