Steyr LP10 weights

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Alex L

Steyr LP10 weights

Post by Alex L »

I have had an LP 10 for a number of years, which came with a weight for the barrel.

My questions are:-
1) Why does it need a weight?
2) Where should the weight be, exactly, on the barrel?
3)What is the benefit of such a weight?

I have had one set of the weights on the pistol, about an inch from the front sight. I see others do not use weights, and am wondering if I should remove it, or move it forward , or back, or what?

What do you others do?

I have not experimented with this, - I just put the weight on when I first got the pistol, and left it there! I find I am not as strong as I used to be, and I share the pistol with my wife, who is much less strong than me!

I notice many new air pistols have weights at a variety of places along the barrel, and wonder how much they are compensating or assisting, as, theoretically, air pistols have no recoil! (I know every barrel has a barrel flip.)

Alex L.
Fred Mannis

Use of AP Weights

Post by Fred Mannis »

Alex,
AP shooters may mount auxiliary weights to change the balance/feel of the pistol, not to reduce recoil. If your LP10 doesn't feel right to you or your wife, then remove the the weights and see how it feels then. If you can shoot better without the weights (give it a few weeks), leave them off.

The LP10 is not the lightest AP available, and if weight is an issue you should consider other makes and models that weigh less but are of similar quality.

Fred
Tom Amlie

Post by Tom Amlie »

Speaking from my rifle shooting background, the additional weight can help to dampen movement. In pistol, the same is probably true, but there's more of a tradeoff between the additional weight dampening very slight movement and too much weight causing fatigue and even more movement.

With a very light pistol the slightest muscle tremor or hand movement is powerful enough to move your muzzle. If you add weight, those extremely slight tremors no longer have enough force to rapidly move your muzzle.
Fred.Mannis

Post by Fred.Mannis »

Tom Amlie wrote: With a very light pistol the slightest muscle tremor or hand movement is powerful enough to move your muzzle. If you add weight, those extremely slight tremors no longer have enough force to rapidly move your muzzle.
I agree. That's why I prefer a light pistol to which I can add weight at the muzzle. This gives the best trade-off (for us older folks) between fatigue and tremor reduction.