Pardini HP Bad Barrel

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
dhurt

Pardini HP Bad Barrel

Post by dhurt »

I bought a used Pardini HP a while back. The thing shoots very poorly despite many load attempts. I slugged the bore and found a tight restriction about 1/3 forward of the chamber. It mikes at .310 while the rest is .311. You can actually see the imperfection with the naked eye. I wish I would have looked closer when I got the pistol, but now I am stuck with it. Anyone else ever have this problem? I guess a new barrel is the only fix? I am glad to have a Walther GSP as my back up, it shoots very nice groups, and Nationals are soon. Thanks a bunch, Dwaine.
Ernie Rodriguez

HP Barrel

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

If you need a bbl for a HP-I have a used one.It is stock and in excellent condition. Let me know-PM.
rogerv

Post by rogerv »

Lap it out with valve grinding compound. Another option is to roll the bullets in between two flat pieces of metal in valve grinding compound and shoot them. Use the lightest loads that will get the bullet out the bore.

This is a frequent occurence where a barel is forced into a frame, i.e. revolvers and air guns.

Post by Guest »

Dwayne,

If I had to replace my HP barrel, I would strongly consider getting Dave Wilson to make a custom one for me. I think Dave frequents the BE listserve.
dhurt

Post by dhurt »

Thanks for the input gents. I am considering these options. I think I will try to fire lap, the worst that can happen is I ruin a ruined barrel. If lapping does not work, I think I will try a fast twist barrel from Wilson. What an awsome bullseye gun, if it will shoot at 50 yards. I think this constriction is factory induced, I can't believe it got past quality control. Do Pardini test fire their pistols? I don't think there was a test group with mine. Thanks loads, Dwaine.
JamesH

Lapping

Post by JamesH »

Is there an alternative to firelapping?
On an auto I would imagine it would damage the throat.
The 'proper' way may be to lap as rifle barrels are done, cast a piece of lead in the barrel, knock it out, apply polishing compound and run up and down.
There will be plenty of better/more detailed descriptions than that.

If you do firelap obviously a circumferantially grooved bullet should be used as opposed to a Lapua type longitudinally grooved bullet.
Sorry if I'm trying to teach you to suck eggs.
Mike T.

Constriction in HP barrel

Post by Mike T. »

Any chance that the constriction is merely a build-up of lead that could be removed by vigorous cleaning (bronze brush or electolytic cleaning)?
Mike T.
K5Tangos

Post by K5Tangos »

Does anyone have contact info to have a Dave Wilson barrel made?

Thanks,
Keith
dhurt

Post by dhurt »

Howdy, Good thinking Mike T, but it is definitly a barrel constriction. It is very localized about 1/3 down the barrel, it looks like the barrel was forced into something to cause this? The shroud has a little pin at the rear of the shroud? Is this barrel srewed into the shroud or is it forced into the shroud and then pinned in? Quite disheartening to have a nice pistol that shoots like hell.
Wilson's e-mail is, fc60net@attglobal.net . He responded very quickly to my questions.
Anders Turebrand

Post by Anders Turebrand »

The barrel has a flange at (or about at) it´s midpoint to stop it from moving forward in the shroud, that will put it at about 1/3 of the length into the rifled portion of the barrel.
There´s a pin set in the flange perpendicular to the centerline that fits in a corresponding hole in the shroud, it´s purpose is to stop the barrel from turning in the shroud as it´s press fitted.
The press fit portion of the barrel is at the very last 10mm´s of it´s length (forward), behind that there´s a clearance hole in the shroud and then there´s a seat for the flange.

The constriction might be the result of a too tight fit of the flange in the shroud but...
It could also be the result of improper stress relieving of the barrel blank before turning it to final dimensions.
In the first case the constriction might reduced if you remove the barrel from the shroud, I wouldn´t hope for it to go away but it´s worth trying since it´s not too hard to press it out.

I have seen such a constriction on a HP but it shot well nevertheless...

/Anders
dhurt

Post by dhurt »

Thanks Anders for the response. It is nice to know how the barrel and shroud are fit together. It is also nice to know that I am not dreaming this thing up. Perhaps I will have to invest in some Lapua factory loads to see if the Pardini will shoot it. At 62 cents a shot, plus shipping, I don't relish doing a lot of training. It was pretty easy to find a handload for my Walther GSP in the 8 cent, and under, categorie. I guess I got spoiled, but I really like the feel of the Pardini. Thanks again, Dwaine.