Cardio exercise - is it REALLY important?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
AAlex

Cardio exercise - is it REALLY important?

Post by AAlex »

Ok so we all know the that cardio is OBVIOUSLY important, and you see people handing out advises left and right about how one should run 20 miles every morning and swim 50 laps every evening, and ride bicycles whenever they're not running or swimming, etc.

But when I consider myself, for example - i can't get up 3 flights of stairs without losing my breath, but I can fire 200 shots in 3 hours without breaking a sweat and still keep it mostly in the 9 ring, and frankly, I don't see how cardio would help. When I consider people around me, I see some highly skilled shooters that don't seem to be in shape, and some athletic types that are pretty average.

So have any of you experienced actual and stable improvement in scores after starting to exercise regularly, or is that yet another universally accepted groundless dogma?
Blomqvist

Post by Blomqvist »

This is an interesting question. Ton´s of science reports seem to prove the benefits of cardiotraining in general and specific cases. Better stamina, higher stress tolerance, lower heartrate, better blood values, longer life etc. This is sufficient proof for me that it´s generally good for everyone.

But to measure the exact benefits of cardiotraining in shooting is more difficult. I tried to train much cardio an dwith high intensity, much strength and lot´s of shooting in one period. I am a person that is mediumbuilt and quite active and relatively fit. In my "experiment", my bodyweight decreased, heartrate decreased, stamina and strength improved, but the total volume became to much. I was tired, sometimes little cranky and had often sore mucles and started to feel pain in my elbow and other joints too.

Now I train less cardio and with lower intensity but everyday, walks, bicycling, run up the stairs, short intensive dumbelltraining with light weights. And focus on quality in shooting, shorter training sessions but with higher quality. I have now accomplished BALANCE for me in my particular life and feel better, it´s more fun, my shooting has improved in many aspects.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Balance is probably the most important element but cardiovascular exercise is I believe important to shooters. Sure there are good overweight unhealthy shooters but that doesn't tell you how much better they could be with proper cardio fitness.

As mentioned good cv strength will help reduce heart rate which is good. It will also improve stamina and help increase you feelings of well being - that extra psychological boost.

If you do do CV or other exercises, make sure you build in the all important rest periods. Train alternate days at most and see which days work out best for your shooting. Also have 2 or 3 days rest before important shooting comps. These things vary between individuals but you need to find out what works best for you.

Rob.
paw080

Post by paw080 »

Hi Blom,Hi Ron, as Ron S. points out; you must include adequete rest and
recovery periods when you do do cardiovascular or strength training.
How do I know? I know, because I used to coach World Class distance
runners. If they didn't rest enough,they got sick or they got injured or both.
Sometimes, a runner showed signs of overtraining and after resting two to
three weeks, he was stronger when he resumed training. Imagination and
focus plays a big part in elite racing(talent doesn't hurt), You don't have to
be born in the Rift Valley to be a great runner. Sorry..enough running talk
for now..
Tony
paw080

Post by paw080 »

Oops...duplicate posting....
Tony
Last edited by paw080 on Tue May 22, 2007 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lurker

Post by lurker »

I am one of the mediocre shooters who maintains good overall physical condition. I run 3-5 miles and intensely lift weights for one hour every other day. I also shoot for two hours every other day. In my experience, the correlation between improving fitness and improving shooting performance exists, but is indirect. I have found, however, a direct connection between inappropriate exercise and decreased shooting performance. If I work out within 24 hours prior to a match my scores are noticably lower. In fact, if I quit exercising altogether, I believe my scores would improve significantly. This is especially true for strength training. If I lift heavy weights for a period of time, my shooting performance suffers substantially. This is a known effect though, that fine motor skills decrease when you work your large muscles too hard. This is a topic which asks what your priorities are. If you want to have an active lifestyle and feel healthy, exercise is improtant. If you want to improve your shooting then you must plan and schedule your exercise accordingly.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Better (more/more efficient) oxygenation of the

- Brain
- Eyes
- Muscles

as well as improved muscle tone, lowered heart rate, etc. (include previously mentioned benefits).

Oh, and add the ability to train (train on anything) for a longer period of time at an increased level of stress with improved mental focus.

These are not just "spillover" effects.

Direct Effects: See better, think better, hold better, release trigger better.
Indirect Effects: Train better.

Steve Swartz
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

lurker wrote:I am one of the mediocre shooters who maintains good overall physical condition. I run 3-5 miles and intensely lift weights for one hour every other day. I also shoot for two hours every other day. In my experience, the correlation between improving fitness and improving shooting performance exists, but is indirect. I have found, however, a direct connection between inappropriate exercise and decreased shooting performance. If I work out within 24 hours prior to a match my scores are noticably lower. In fact, if I quit exercising altogether, I believe my scores would improve significantly. This is especially true for strength training. If I lift heavy weights for a period of time, my shooting performance suffers substantially. This is a known effect though, that fine motor skills decrease when you work your large muscles too hard. This is a topic which asks what your priorities are. If you want to have an active lifestyle and feel healthy, exercise is improtant. If you want to improve your shooting then you must plan and schedule your exercise accordingly.
What your describing with regards to lifting is not just training but improper training, shooting requires muscular endurance. The phases of strength training are ;

1. Anatomical Adaptation
2. Hypertrophy
3. Maximum Strength
4. Conversion

Many stop too early at hypertrophy (changing the structure, big bulging muscles) and maximum strength. But the 4th phase is the most important, conversion, which is converting maximum strength into something useful, for shooting that is muscle endurance, this requires one to do way more than 15-25 reps/set more like 100, 200 or more reps using the same priciples as aerobic conditioning.
2650 Plus

Cardiovasculer training

Post by 2650 Plus »

I learned to hold the pistol still by holding the pistol still. When the muscles fatiqued I rested, then I held the pistol still some more. If I found a way to shoot with bar bells G1HLCthen I would have trained with bar bells. I appoligize for being a smart axx. Bill Horton
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Generally, improved cardio-vascular condition means more oxygen circulating in the blood stream. If you are physically unfit (talking about CV system rather than how much you can lift, how far you can walk etc) then the oxygen in your system tends to be reduced and it is used up before it reaches the extremities.

In my case, I recently started CPAP (Continuous Positive Air Pressure) therapy which means I sleep with a mask on, the same as for obstructive sleep apoenea sufferers. The idea is to improve the oxygen flow to my heart to help counter the debilitating effects of chronic atrial fibrillation.

Amazingly since beginning to use the machine every night the extra oxygen in the system has improved my focus on the front sight and I will swear I have better trigger control. Increased oxygen in the blood to my trigger finger means I can better feel the trigger and know when the shot is going to release. I also believe that I have better balance but am not sure what the link might be.

I don't advocate everyone goes out and buys a machine which gives you a similar effect to hanging your head out the window as you drive along the highway. The simple way to get more O molecules flowing in the blood stream is regular cardio exercise. But don't overdo it!
paw080

Post by paw080 »

Hi Everybody, I'm sorry I just cannot resist asking the question:
which muscle type is apt to twitch more; "Fast Twitch" or Slow Twitch"
muscle? This stupid question may actually be relevant to the type of strength
training we do. Studies have shown(sounds like a TV add) that fast twitch
can be converted to slow twitch muscle tissue(running studies).

Tony
funtoz

Twitching

Post by funtoz »

Last edited by funtoz on Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2650 Plus

cardio issues

Post by 2650 Plus »

Mixed Martial arts training with my shooting for about six months.I had no problems for the first couple of months but then my reflexs began to speed up, I reached the point where I believed I could flinch twice before the bullet could get out of the tube. I went back to my old lazy self and in a short time every thing got back to normal. By theway, Steve Swartz is closser to the solution than I ever got.