Building Turning Target System

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
randy1952

Building Turning Target System

Post by randy1952 »

We are building a turning target system and need some information on a Solenoid or relay to put on a pressure tank to turn the targets. The component has to turn the targets within the ISSF rules, which I think is .3 seconds. Does anybody no where I can get a unit that works that fast?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I presume you are using a pneumatic cylinder to actually move the mechanism, in which case you should be able to get a suitable solenoid valve from the same supplier. In my experience the pneumatics are the easy part, it's the timer that normally causes the problems.
JDF

Target turner

Post by JDF »

Pretty simple, look in the Grainger catalog for solenoid valves. All you need a 3 way valve with the proper voltage coil. The systems I have built have rapid vents on each end of the cylinder, this increases the speed of the exhaust of air from that end of cylinder and that determines the speed of the turn. By the way, it is adjustable and very reliable as far as repeatability is concerned. I set up my timer so it could do ISU Rapid Fire(8, 6 & 4 second, 3 second delay), ISU Standard Pistol (Timed and Rapid w/7 second delay), ISU Duel (3 second Exposure and 7 second delay) plus NRA Timed and Rapid Fire w/3 second delay and a switch to face the targets for scoring. It all runs off 120 VAC. One thing I screwed up, is the start momentary circuit, it is 120 VAC all so and did not ground it. I have to change it to a 24 VAC circuit and all I have to do is add a 24 VAC contactor and a 120 VAC-24VAC transformer. I have never been shocked by it since I built it 20 years ago but the potential is there and when I change it I will probably build in the electric Eye circuit to catch the early movement from the ready position. Jon