Range session: New Pardini SP

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Citizen Carrier

Range session: New Pardini SP

Post by Citizen Carrier »

Just received my new Pardini SP and took it to the range today to see it's potential. I've been plowing along with a Ruger Mk II "slabsides" until now. Not a bad pistol, but heavy and I just didn't feel I had been progressing fast enough. A friend had been using a S&W 41 in rimfire bullseye was barely breaking 500 out of a possible 600 points. With the Pardini, he was immediately shooting above 520 and sometimes into the 540s.

It was time for me to upgrade.

There it is above the Ruger it just relegated to backup gun status. The Pardini is wearing a 1" Millet Red Dot, which I find to have a very clear and well-defined dot. This gun will be primarily used for rimfire bullseye with the dot. I'll take it off for any upcoming Standard and Sport pistol matches at the Ohio State University.

Just a little more cheesecake photography.

I had three brands of ammunition to test. I planned to zero with Aquila Pistol Match. I also wanted to test CCI "Green Tag" and CCI "Blazer", which I have about 5 bricks of from when they cost $10.

All targets were fired at 50 feet from an MTM plastic pistol rest. It is a fairly stable rest, but not completely infallible.

I was dialed into the 10 ring with just 3 five shot groups with the Aquila Pistol Match.

Like it says, that is 15 shots into one ragged hole. The Aquila was pretty good stuff, but the price just went up to $22 a brick around here.

There's the CCI "Green Tag", which my shooting partner traded me for 50 rounds of my Aquila. A bit smaller hole. Not sure what "Green Tag" costs these days. I think around $20 a brick.

Hmm. Not too shabby for $10-a-brick ammunition, don't you think? The gunshop that was selling this for $10 has recently sold out and the Blazer now runs about $14 or so around here. That means I can get two bricks of the stuff while some people are foolishly spending $35 a brick on Wolf Match .22 ammo.

Why spend that kind of money when you probably aren't going to get much better performance than this? And more ammo means more range time. That'll pay a fatter dividend in the long run than being able to say you only shoot Federal Gold Medal Match or Wolf Match Target.

But all was not goodness and light. About five times during the session the pistol failed to pick up the next round out of the magazine. Twice with the Aquila, 3 times with the Blazer. I had one failure to extract with the Green Tag.

I chalk this up to two things...hopefully. First, new gun. Might need some breaking in...although my friend's Pardini hasn't done this yet and he's been using it for about a month now.

Second, I didn't really clean the pistol when I got it. Yeah, yeah. Shame on me. Should've taken it apart and inspected for any preservatives and lubed it properly. What I ended up doing was putting a few drops of oil into the action and cycling it some. I'll have it apart tonight for better cleaning.

That's me trying some unsupported one-handed shooting as I would in bullseye. Not so great.

Problem is that the Pardini comes from the factory with fairly heavy 1st and 2nd stage trigger pulls. I haven't adjusted it yet for lighter pulls. My target analysis card claims that I was jerking the trigger, and I believe it. As it stands now until I adjust the trigger, my $340 Ruger with the Volquartsen trigger kit actually has the better pull.

I expect that will change.
joe1347

Post by joe1347 »

Did you have to do anything special to mount the red dot scope - such as having to buy any special adapters?
Citizen Carrier

Nothing special.

I'm told that Pardinis originally had no provision whatsoever for mounting optics since such things are not allowed in European-style matches.

The pistol has very fine grooves machined into the top rib that accept the "claws" of weaver style rings. Much the same as some .22 rifles such as the Marlin Model 60. No seperate scope base or rail, just the narrow grooves.

My pistol uses the rings that were supplied with the Millet Red Dot. I mounted a Matchdot on my friend's Pardini using the totally different type of aluminum rings that come with Matchdots and Ultradots.

The set-up is stable and strong enough, considering I'm not going to be drawing and firing in some IPSC type event.

I'm also told that either Larry's Guns or Pilkington Guns (I don't know which, or perhaps both do) offer a gunsmithing installation of a true weaver type base for those who prefer that over the simple grooves.

I don't think that is a necessary thing. It may slightly facilitate removing and reinstalling the optics when you want to use the SP in Standard or Sport pistol events rather than bullseye, but my Millet went on easily in just a few minutes as is.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

CC:
Good luck with your new pistol. My SPE is over 20 yrs old now and still going strong. Re evaluating 22 ammo on the basis of cost and group size - I have found the most important characteristic is 100% reliability. Once You have located one or brands that are reliable, then you can start ranking them on the basis of cost and group size. I have settled on Eley with mine. 100% as long as I keep the gun and mags reasonably clean.
david alaways

Post by david alaways »

blazer works good for slow fire, shot my first 100 with it before i knew better, u better stock up on firing pins, or shot only standard rounds.

Post by Guest »

When the firing pin on your Pardini breaks ( and it will with that ammo) it creates a very deadly situation. I would not like to be the person standing next to you( i suspect a somewhat inexperenced shooter) when your firing pin breaks. go to brunos and buy SK, for the money its your best buy.
Citizen Carrier

Thanks for the warning.

Maybe I'll just shoot up the Blazer in the free pistol I expect to have next week and just stick to mild loads in the SP...

But I still think I should get some spare firing pins and operating springs, now that you mention it.

Post by Guest »

i benched every ammo out of my 84e, the tightest group was blazer. it blew my mind. but every time i had a round out of the group it was a 5 or 6 , ( no other ammo even came close to the blazer flyers), its cheap to practice with. the best for my gun was lapua L, EVERYONE in the S F area was shooting SK.
Mike T.

Blazer and firing pin

Post by Mike T. »

OK, I'm an old dog but I want to learn new tricks! Would someone explain, please, why Blazer is more likely to break an SP firing pin than standard velocity ammo, and why it is deadly to the person next to the SP?
I've had broken firing pins (but not yet in an SP) and no danger to anyone resulted - but I wasn't using Blazer.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:When the firing pin on your Pardini breaks ( and it will with that ammo) it creates a very deadly situation. I would not like to be the person standing next to you( i suspect a somewhat inexperenced shooter) when your firing pin breaks. go to brunos and buy SK, for the money its your best buy.
This is probably the stupidest post I've ever read here at targettalk. Congratulations, you have just won the TT moron award!

/Chad
Citizen Carrier

Now that you mention it, that post doesn't make a lot of sense.

The Blazer may be a little hotter than standard velocity, but what characteristic of it leads to broken firing pins? They make the cases out of spent uranium or something?

And what danger does this pose to somebody standing next to me?

And I'm an inexperienced shooter with this brand new Pardini. Not with shooting in general. I've been competing in rimfire bullseye since 2004 and I've been shooting guns since 1991.

Last Monday I managed a 548-14X with that Ruger Mk II. Is that usually something an inexperienced shooter manages to do?
william

Post by william »

The late Don Nygord, who knew more about Pardini pistols than anybody outside the factory (and probably more than some inside the factory), specified RWS Target ammo exclusively. You've bought arguably the best target pistol in the world; does it make sense to feed it ammo more suited to plinking?
Citizen Carrier

I used a similar logic on a friend who wanted to put a $30 red dot sight on his expensive pistol.

But the ammunition is a different matter. If the ammunition doesn't harm the gun, is reliable, and produces the accuracy I demonstrated in the photographs, why would I spend more money on ammunition?

I know of three other Pardini users in my league. One of them uses either Aquila "Super Extra" or "Pistol Match" and another uses CCI "Green Tag" and both get good results from it. Next Monday I'll find out what others are using.

When I first started using the Ruger, I tested several brands for group size and reliability. Aquila Pistol Match, CCI Standard Velocity, CCI Blazer, Winchester T22 and Federal Gold Medal Match.

What I found then was there was no discernable difference between the Blazer and even the Federal GMM at 50 feet from the Ruger...except that the Blazer costs less than half as much as the GMM.

The level of accuracy from the Blazer, considering the price, is frankly quite shocking. And it looks as if the Pardini is duplicating those results. I'll have to do some more testing.

Sheesh...more range time. What a chore!

Is there some reference to this ammo preference in Nygord's Notes? I would be interested in reading it.
Nicole Hamilton

Post by Nicole Hamilton »

Citizen Carrier wrote:If the ammunition doesn't harm the gun ...
I think that's the point. Conventional wisdom is that high velocity ammunition tends to beat up a fine gun unnecessarily. I don't know how true that really is, but as the owner of 4 Pardinis, I know I paid a lot of money for some very fine guns and I'd like to keep them that way.

I only use standard velocity match ammo in my own Pardinis. I wouldn't dream of using high velocity in mine. But in yours, do what you like.

Post by Guest »

when i ordered my pardini from nygord i purchased some rws ammo with it. Because no stores stock good ammo in this area i had no other choice but buy blazer ammo or order ammo and wait, after shooting it for 4 weeks i broke my first firing pin. (nothing strange happened gun just didnt fire) i put in my spare pin and 2 weeks later it broke.( 7 years later i still have my 3rd pin in my gun) when the 2nd pin broke this happened, I loaded 5 and put the clip in my gun . when i cocked my gun it went into auto fire. i had my gun held down range but when a gun shoots 5 rounds off in less than a second and its a total surprise i consider myself lucky no one got hurt. when i called Don to order some new pins the first thing he asked me was if i was using high volocity ammo? when i replyed yes his next remark was "Why put cheap ammo in an expensive pistol your lucky something bad didnt happen" i hadnt even told Don my little mishap story yet. when i did he grumbled at me that he wasnt surprised. Dons reason this happened was simple "the gun was not made to shoot that ammo. so dont use it" the holes in the wall of our club from this mishap are still a reminder too me everytime I shoot,

Post by Guest »

I personally never want too be standing next to a new shooter and have that happen too him. So i would put that in as my answer to why thats a possible dangerous situation. but thats just my opinion. and im not going to call anyone an idiot just because im ignorant.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:I personally never want too be standing next to a new shooter and have that happen too him. So i would put that in as my answer to why thats a possible dangerous situation. but thats just my opinion. and im not going to call anyone an idiot just because im ignorant.
There is no connection between "bad ammo" and broken fireing pins. The reason for auto fire is very simple - fireing pin stuck in slide in forward position. Slide bounces back and forth until there's no ammo left. Why the stuck fireing pin? Probably bad maintanace, rust or some mechanical error. No connection to a specific pistol brand.

You are a moron because you said Pardini pistols are dangerous to others when fed with "bad ammo" Ignorant, stupid or moronic - pick the best word yourself.

/Chad
Citizen Carrier

Well, I've done a little research.

The problem with calling CCI Blazer "dangerous" or "high velocity" ammunition unsuitable for the Pardini is that CCI Blazer isn't high velocity ammunition.

I just found this out.

Blazer's factory-published muzzle velocity is 1070 fps, which is exactly the same as CCI Standard Velocity and CCI Green Tag.

Eley Target Pistol comes in at 1030 fps.

CCI Blazer is actually milder by 15 fps than Eley Tenex Pistol Match EPS semi-auto .22, which clocks at 1085 fps.

Lapua "Midas" and "Pistol King" ammunition is 1066 fps.

Wolf Match Target is 1060 fps.

I guess this pretty much invalidates much of the fuss here. Blazer isn't going to destroy my firing pins or accelerate wear on my recoil spring anymore than any other brand of standard velocity .22 ammo will.

This means that the only thing left to consider in using it in the Pardini is the reliability factor. And I did have a couple of problems with it the other day. I shot the Pardini again today, this time with Wolf Match Target and Aguila Super Extra Standard Velocity (not the Pistol Match) and a few odd Remington Standard Velocity rounds.

No failures of any kind except for one dud Remington round that wouldn't fire even when I struck it again. I just had the one box, but I decided not to shoot anymore through the Pardini. Bad experience with one of Remington's other brands of .22.

The Aguila Super Extra SV turned in an astounding one-hole group of 10 shots about the size of a dime at 50 feet. And it only cost me $16 at the gunshow. The Wolf ran me $35 and seems to be lubed with Vaseline! Man, that is some messy ammo! Shot just fine, but I had to wipe my fingers off everytime I loaded a magazine.
PardiniGSP

Post by PardiniGSP »

Lapua "Midas" and "Pistol King" ammunition is 1066 fps

Pistol King is 952 fps.
Anders Turebrand

Post by Anders Turebrand »

That´s 952 fps (290m/s) from a 150mm test barrel and 1066 fps (325m/s) from a 660mm test barrel

We don´t want to compare apples to oranges...

A link to lapua rimfire cartridges

/Anders