What air pistol?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
slavochk

Post by slavochk »

AP wrote:Slavochk, have you used, both, the Anschutz LP@ an the Steyr LP10? Which one do you preffer and why?
I use Steyr LP1, I don't like the absorver of the LP10. I've never seen LP@, but I belive it's the same as LP10.
Although being cheeper than LP10, the Steyr LP2 may be better for some shooters. Give it a chance.
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

Elmas wrote:
JulianY wrote:Elmas,

Nice photo but I see you are breaking rule 6.3.6.6.1 ;)

JY
Hi Julian,

Please outline the rules being broken in the pic. I would like to be warned !

The pistol was in dry-fire mode as my buddy who took the pic made sure the gun was unloaded before he was persuaded to take the pic from that angle !

BTW , I use an Iris Diaphragm on my Knoblochs , and tend to find the increased depth of focus of help in settling in the aiming area.
I am a hypermetrope and the 'weak reading lens' that places the front sight in focus makes the target too fuzzy for my liking... the fuzziness can be unnerving , detracting from one's confidence as it requires plenty of "faith" to just know its there and that I am not straying away as I focus on the sights as the pellet leaves the muzzle. With the diaphragm closed a bit , the target remains sharpish and makes a better "sight picture" .

There was a recent thread where these diaphragms were discussed , and everyone seemed to think that 'depth of field' was a bad side effect and that the main job for the Iris was to limit the amount of light entering the eye causing less strain as the match goes on .

Elmas

Elmas I am sorry it was a joke rule 6.3.6.6.1 states;

Notices must be displayed to indicate to spectators that mobile phones
must be switched OFF and flash photography is prohibited.

I do concur with slavochk's remarks about the hat;

7.4.7.6 Side Blinders (either or both sides) attached to the hat, cap,
shooting glasses, or to a head band, not exceeding 40 mm deep (A)
are permitted. These blinders must not extend further forward than
to a line from the center of the forehead.

However since the blinders are not in use I see no fault.

Regarding Iris Diaphragm's they are a tool like any other, some people, particularly with eye problems, do benefit from them and some even need them.

Don Noygard's notes read;
Now what about low light? Well, when your natural pupil opens up everything gets "fuzzy" - most importantly, the front sight! And that is where the adjustable iris comes in: you close it until you get the sights sharp and leave the target "fuzzy".
All of which I would agree with. but for my $0.02 his text does not go far enough. Part of the problem with the iris is you are reducing the amount of light reaching you eye which in turn causes the pupil to open and reduces the sharpness of your own vision. so its 2 steps forward one step back. for people with normal eyesight there should be enough light on a range to not need one however not all ranges are equal and some are very dimly lit. For those who's eyesight needs it, it is possible to use the iris to sharpen the target. I would not advocate a sharp target image because it will distract the sight picture and makes it impossible to be sure that the focus is 100% on the foresight, but refining the target from some hazy grey cloud somewhere in the distance to an out of focus circle is of benefit.

Julian
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Julian,
I thought your comment was in reference to 8.4.10.1
Of course we in the U.S. are governed by 8.4.10.1A. Not sure what the situation is in Egypt :-)

re flash photography: 8.4.1.6 states flash photography is prohibited until all competition is completed. Obviously the match was over :-)

Fred
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

Fred Mannis wrote:Julian,
Of course we in the U.S. are governed by 8.4.10.1A. Not sure what the situation is in Egypt :-)

re flash photography: 8.4.1.6 states flash photography is prohibited until all competition is completed. Obviously the match was over :-)

Fred

Poor Elmas he will never post another photo again !

So fred what is 8.4.10.1A ?

JY
Nano

Post by Nano »

Julian:

Elmas use a good photo, he looks like Sean Connery.

Nano
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

Nano wrote:Julian:

Elmas use a good photo, he looks like Sean Connery.

Nano
Dont worry Nano , I regard Elmas as a respected friend, and this, I hope, is a small joke between friends.

Now that you mention it he does look like Sean Connery the only difference is that the Tesro is far more sexy than a ppk and darn sight more accurate !

JY
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

JulianY wrote:Now that you mention it he does look like Sean Connery the only difference is that the Tesro is far more sexy than a ppk and darn sight more accurate !
I hate to get political but there is a MUCH bigger difference.

Sean Connery is rabidly anti-shooting and has given enormous support to the anti-shooting movement in the UK.
Nano

photo

Post by Nano »

I try to put my photo but was impossible.
I am ataching a word file, with my photo, I am open to receive you criticize, Elmas (or other). I am using the controversial p40.

Nano
Attachments
nano.doc
(639.5 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

JulianY wrote:

JY
8.4.10.1A says that rule 8.4.10.1 does not apply to matches held in the U.S. under the auspices of the USAS.
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

Fred Mannis wrote: 8.4.10.1A says that rule 8.4.10.1 does not apply to matches held in the U.S. under the auspices of the USAS.
Interesting. I did not know ther were country specific rules, where do you fin them ?

JY
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

JulianY wrote:
Fred Mannis wrote: 8.4.10.1A says that rule 8.4.10.1 does not apply to matches held in the U.S. under the auspices of the USAS.
Interesting. I did not know ther were country specific rules, where do you fin them ?
There aren't under ISSF rules. There is nothing to stop any organisation from running competitions and applying their own rules.
Elmas

Post by Elmas »

JulianY wrote:
Fred Mannis wrote:Julian,

Fred

Poor Elmas he will never post another photo again !

JY
Hi guys,
The pic was in my basement range , it said so in the posting ... but I was wearing the cap to reduce the light coming onto my face from the Neon lamp above and to the left, and the ear defenders to reduce noise and to get used to them as they are absolutely necessary in matches.
The Knoblochs , well I cant shoot with my 'normal' bifocals, sights too fuzzy .

Some of the air pistol ranges here in Egypt are so cramped that side blinders and ear defenders are a great help to reduce distraction, luckily , the judges do not apply the rules as strictly as at International level ... so its OK.

Nano jokingly says I look like Sean Connery .... perhaps a short and fat Sean Connery more likely !! I just wanted you to see the Tesro , the real subject of the photo .

Elmas

Lanning R. Hochhauser

Post by Lanning R. Hochhauser »

Elmas, that pic sort of looks like me standing in my driveway in the bright sun shooting into my garage. I need a big hat to protect me from all the glare.

Also, it looks like you as squeezing the sap out of the grip. Relax a little.
DoctorD
Elmas

Squeezing the Sap

Post by Elmas »

Lanning R. Hochhauser wrote:Elmas, that pic sort of looks like me standing in my driveway in the bright sun shooting into my garage. I need a big hat to protect me from all the glare.

Also, it looks like you as squeezing the sap out of the grip. Relax a little.
DoctorD
As for the grip... well... nice point , When I am 'all there' ... my grip is 'just enough to steadily align the sights with most of the hold using my middle finger against the palm . I tend to increase the middle finger pressure as I pull the trigger to make the trigger pull as smooth as possible. Trouble is , I'm not " always there " ... when tired I may find myself gripping too hard , which affects both my ability to stay in the aiming area and the smoothness of my trigger pull. Or I may not grip tight enough , which may affect the sight alignment and cause me to make wrist adjustments on the fly to get the sights back on the straight and narrow and pay the price with a bad shot .

The pic was actually a dry fire 'pose' to show off the pistol , and the flash may or may not have caused an involuntary tightening of my grip !

Elmas