Second stage trigger weights

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
JulianY

Second stage trigger weights

Post by JulianY »

I was talking about this with several folk and got inconsistent results so I wounder what you guys thought.

Suppose you set you 500g trigger to have a 250g second stage, who do you set up you 1000g trigger 500/500 , 700/300 750/250

and what about your 1360g trigger ?

On suggestion made , seemed to make sense to me

500 : 200/300
1000 : 300/700
1360 : 400/960

The idea being that the increasing first stage would reduce the feeling in the second stage so extra resistance was needed.

I await your thoughts

Julian
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

It has been suggested that optimal may be to have the 2nd stage pretty much constant, especially for those of us that get to train rarely with cartridge pistols. So that would be roughly;

500g - 50/50 (%)
1000g - 75/25
1360g - 80/20 (ish).

Perhaps increasing 2nd stage a bit more just in case so 250g, 300g and 400g respectively. It very much depends on how you shoot and what type of trigger you prefer (and of course whether or not you can acheive it on the guns you use).

My guns are nothing like that at the moment but the cartridge guns are new and I spent a lot of the last session tuning the triggers, and have more to do. My centre fire pistol seems to be about 600g 2nd stage at the moment which is too heavy for me.

Rob.
JulianY

Re: Second stage trigger weights

Post by JulianY »

JulianY wrote: 500 : 200/300
1000 : 300/700
1360 : 400/960
Just to clarify what i mean in the above table was

Total: Second Stage / First Stage

JY
David M

Post by David M »

Setting the second stage weight will vary depending on what you want as a character or feel on the trigger.
Factors include total weight, weight ratio first / second stage and stage travel length of each stage.
A two stage crisp trigger will have a heavier second stage, compared to a two stage roll off trigger.
Also the heavier the trigger, the heavier the second stage will have to be to get the same comparitave feel (your finger is less sensitive to small extra weight increases as the total trigger pulls get heavier).
Mellberg

Post by Mellberg »

I don't think I would like to have my 32 set to ~1120/280g. With that amount of pressure on the trigger in the first stage the duelling would probably be a very nervous part of the competition. One slight mistake and you get 10 points down in the ground. After that you would need to shoot 29 tens to make your score "ok".

I think I have at least 500g left when I go from first stage to *pop*.
Axel

Post by Axel »

I would say that there's no "secret" or perfect combination. For duello I want some marginal between 1st and 2nd stage, just like Mellberg suggests. A shot in the bench cost so many points. It can easily happen in competitions when tension is high.

And don't forget to have marginal in total trigger pressure weight. I've seen people get DSQ after competitions because of to low trigger weight. Soo unnecessary!