Side cocking Toz,

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Brian James

Side cocking Toz,

Post by Brian James »

Side cocking Toz,

I have come to own a side cocking Toz35 and wondered if anyone knew the history or origin behind this design. Its obviously a custom modification that works brilliantly, and from what I can garner it was a semi popular modification for a while.

Brian
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

Do you mean a side loading variation as the cocking lever is already on the left side. I have seen the side loading lever which was a modification that used to be done by the Late Don Nygord, for various and sundry reasons i.e. to be able to adjust the rake of the grips etc. and for a shooter who lost his right hand in an accident and switched to lefty. The purpose of this was to allow the shooter ( a personal friend) to use his prosthetic arm (hook) to be able to load & unload the TOZ.

Post by Guest »

Thank you for the information, and to be more specific my Toz has a side loading lever.
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

Small world !
FredB

Post by FredB »

First, to get our terms straight. All versions of the TOZ 35/35M load from the top, and arm the set trigger from the left side. The original/stock version cocks the firing pin from the bottom; it is indeed a "bottom cocker". The modified versions generally cock from the left side, i.e. "side cockers."

Second, there have been a number of different side cocking modifications made, in several different countries. The general goal with all of them is to lighten the overall weight considerably, to alter the balance, and to allow different grip angles, usually more raked than permitted by the stock version. If you look at the Rink grip website, you should be able to find a picture of a German side cocking TOZ that has a variable grip angle, and Rink makes a grip specifically for this model, with an angle adjusting screw.

Many of the side cocking TOZs in the USA, and possibly Canada, were modified by Don Nygord. His modification does not allow for variations in grip angle. I've seen a couple of his modded TOZs that had what I would call marginally secure grip-to-frame attachment, but I haven't heard of any resulting problems. If you're in the USA or Canada, chances are you have a Nygord version.

HTH,
FredB
FredB

Post by FredB »

P.S. If we are really trying to avoid all possible ambiguity, I suppose we could call them "bottom action" and "side action", since the lever in question operates the action as well as cocking the firing pin.

FredB
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

Fred,

Thank you for the response, I suspect you're right that it is a Nygord conversion. The reason I'm asking is in part to find out its pedigree, but also to see if the Rink Grip made for side loading Toz’s may fit it.

Brian
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

Fred,

Thank you for the response, I suspect you're right that it is a Nygord conversion. The reason I'm asking is in part to find out its pedigree, but also to see if the Rink Grip made for side loading Toz’s may fit it.

Brian
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

Check Larry Carter's website---I believe the Rink has a modification for the side loading and cocking lever.
FredB

Rink grips

Post by FredB »

Brian,

The Rink grip specially made for the side action TOZ is a one-piece grip that attaches by means of a 4mm or 5mm through-bolt from underneath into a socket in the frame. The Nygord conversions I have seen had two-piece grips that attached with one or two small 3mm screws into the original tapped hole(s) in the frame. They were basically modified original grips. The standard Rink TOZ grip of course attaches the same way (but with four 3mm screws).

With either Rink grip you would have to do some inletting and modification. It's not at all easy to work on the interior of a one-piece grip, so, if you indeed have the Nygord mod and want the Rink grip, I would recommend the standard (two-piece) model. But be prepared to do significant inletting work to allow clearance for the side lever.

In any case, check out the Rink website, as there are good pictures of the two types of TOZ grip. By the way, if you do order a Rink and have any question about choosing between two sizes (e.g. should I get med or large?), go for the larger size, as Rinks run small.

HTH,
FredB
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

I sincerly appreciate the reponse FredB, Thomas Rink emailed me, and it looks like I have the German version of a side loading lever toz.

Brian
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Brian James wrote:I sincerly appreciate the reponse FredB, Thomas Rink emailed me, and it looks like I have the German version of a side loading lever toz.

Brian
Let me know if inletting is required. I think I still have pictures of the inletting I did on my two piece Rink grip to fit it to a Nygord modified Toz. All you need is a dremel, some files and patience. :-)
ruig

Post by ruig »

only one modest opinion from man, who has {toz} in year 1959 designed (he is 82 now): "i don't like it (rebuild version). Side-cocking-lever makes the ballance worse".

I think it is a heavy opinion... from man, whose pistol was the best during 30 years...
FredB

Post by FredB »

Ruig,

Certainly his opinion deserves the utmost respect due a brilliant gun designer. But if the change in balance is his only reason for disliking the modification, wouldn't balance be a matter of personal preference?

A year or two ago I think there was talk about him redesigning the gun himself, and marketing it. What ever happened about that? Please let us know.

Regards,
FredB
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

I've known many world class shooters who used a "side cocker" Toz. Most Free Pistol shooters have made changes to their guns- never seemed to draw too much attention on the line. DiDonna of Italy had a very good set up which seemed to serve him well. I managed a few good scores with mine. I believe the Russians were the first to make the modification which Nygord copied. I made my own design using the original TOZ cocking lever. Some modifications required new grips, mine like others used the original frame and grip screw locations. I photographed a few others over the years. One thing that was always cool about FP was the sometimes unusual mods you might see on the line. Greg
ruig

Post by ruig »

FredB wrote:What ever happened about that? Please let us know
Bureau works further... everything else remains untill now, unfortunately, as secret!

sporting regards,
ruig
ruig

Post by ruig »

Greg Derr wrote:I photographed a few others over the years. One thing that was always cool about FP was the sometimes unusual mods you might see on the line...
here is some for you... i think, that i've already posted these fotos one year ago... but anyway
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

Ruig,

In one of your photos you posted it shows a compensator on the end of the toz - did you port the barrel as well?
ruig

Post by ruig »

Brian James wrote:Ruig,

In one of your photos you posted it shows a compensator on the end of the toz - did you port the barrel as well?
No... there are simple screws to fasten front sight platform (platform-design was taken from Steyr LP2 :) and was made with CNC-Machinery from piece of Alu-alloy )