Average 10M air pistol Scores

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Airguntech

Average 10M air pistol Scores

Post by Airguntech »

Hi all,
I am a newbie to Air pistol shooting and have recently aquired a FWB model 90 Air pistol in excellent condition. I am now hooked on Air pistol shooting and would like to shoot competitively.
I was just wondering what sort of scores a reasonably good club level shooter would be making on the 10M air pistol range.

Also the targets I have printed from another website have 2 centre rings inside the 9 score ring. What is the story there?

Any feedback is appreciated

Airguntech
Fred Mannis

Re: Average 10M air pistol Scores

Post by Fred Mannis »

Airguntech wrote: I was just wondering what sort of scores a reasonably good club level shooter would be making on the 10M air pistol range.
Can't say whether this is typical or not - the 1st/2nd place scores at our last five monthly PTO's were 564/551, 564/551, 556/556, 557/556, 565/561
Airguntech

Post by Airguntech »

Thanks,

that gives me something to work on. (quite a bit of work actually :( )

So what of the two circles inside the 9 ring? Why not just have one ten ring??
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

The inner circle is called the "Inner Ten", or X ring. It's used in tie breaking. In finals, where scores are calculated to .1 point, the X ring is a 10.9.
Paul

Post by Guest »

the X ring is a 10.9

Umm... Totally not.
The diameter of 10.9 (measured center-to-center) is 1/10th of the c-t-c diameter of a 10 (which is 11.5mm + 4.5mm = 16mm), which is 1.6mm.

The c-t-c diameter of the inner 10 is 5mm + 4.5mm = 9.5mm
Mike T.

Air Pistol Target scoring rings

Post by Mike T. »

See ISSF rule 6.3.2.6 for dimensions of the scoring rings. As guest above states, the ten ring is 11.5 mm in diameter and the inner ten ring is 5.0 mm in diameter. The inner ten is of no significance when scoring a target under the current ISSF rules. See rule 8.12.0 for the tie-breaking procedure. (While an X-ring is used for tie-breaking in the USA NRA Conventional Pistol events, it is not used in ISSF pistol events.)
Mike T.
David Levene

Re: Air Pistol Target scoring rings

Post by David Levene »

Mike T. wrote:See rule 8.12.0 for the tie-breaking procedure. (While an X-ring is used for tie-breaking in the USA NRA Conventional Pistol events, it is not used in ISSF pistol events.)
Incorrect I'm afraid. See rule 8.12.2.3

Inner tens (the X-ring) are used for tie breaking after the qualification round for Air Pistol.
Airguntech

Post by Airguntech »

Thanks guys...Is there somewhere on the net I can download the rules for Air pistol Competition??

Airguntech
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

Airguntech wrote:Thanks guys...Is there somewhere on the net I can download the rules for Air pistol Competition??

Airguntech
for rules ;
http://www.issf-shooting.org/rules/english/rules.asp

of some targets see

http://www.shootingwiki.org/index.php?t ... ng_Targets

Julian
cdf

Post by cdf »

Typical scores may vary from club to club , but around our ranch a 540 is a good outing , a 550 would be cause for celebration . A high 560 -570 would prolly get you into the finals at the Grand Prix in Toronto . Perhaps we're just underachievers . Dont let your score deter you from competing , there are a lot of enthusiastic but less accomplished shooters out there . Dont confuse practice scores with record scores . Arousal may kick your score up or down by 10 points .

It's questionable whether printing your own targets is worthwhile , printer supplies are expensive , and the paper stock often doesn't punch cleanly . We have all tried it, most dont bother anymore . With an Edelman target you can get 10 to 20 practice shots and still see what you are doing , with ordinary paper you'd just have a torn up mess . If you are in North America you can get Edelman from our host , and a good quality target from Canada Targets .

You are right , AP is addictive . One other thing you may require is shooting glasses . Many adult shooters seem to need them . ( search function is your friend ) .

Chris
Dan Ide

Post by Dan Ide »

Here in the midwest, 540 to mid 550s are pretty darn good. Talking of targets, I cut out the 9-10 ring and keep track of how many shots I can shoot before I get one out of the space. Then I start over, I can reuse the same terget for quite a few string on a good night, just a few on a not so good night.
Mike T.

Post by Mike T. »

David wrote:
"Incorrect I'm afraid. See rule 8.12.2.3"

Oops! Thanks , David. There I go getting caught by skim reading - again :-(
In all these years, and it is quite a few, a hadn't noticed that.
Red-faced Mike
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Good club shooters would be aiming for 530 - 540 I would imagine. You have to remember that everybody starts lower and works up. How far up you go is pretty much limited by how much quality training you are prepared to do. I would suggest if you are starting off and shooting 500+ then you are doing OK. It's also worth adding that you should not hold back from entering competitions. These are invaluable experience and since most are run in classes, you will be shooting alongside shooters with similar capabilities.

Rob.
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

Mike T. wrote:David wrote:
"Incorrect I'm afraid. See rule 8.12.2.3"

Oops! Thanks , David. There I go getting caught by skim reading - again :-(
In all these years, and it is quite a few, a hadn't noticed that.
Red-faced Mike
No need to be red faced, Mike. If anyone should, it should be me. I gave my answer based upon my memory of experiences at the PTO's at Wolf Creek.

On Sius Ascor targets, during finals, it seemed whenever I'd clip the X ring, an X would flash, and a 10.9 would come up on the board.

I should have looked in the rule book.

Paul
Nano

average score

Post by Nano »

In my country we classificate the air pistol shootes, by its better score of the last year, in three categories:

class C: score to 529 (beginners approximately a year in this class)
class B: score between 530 and 549
class A: score 550 or more.

here, who shoots 550 or more, is class A.

Nano
cdf

Post by cdf »

Dont get too hung up on score , it can screw up your enjoyment of the sport . It's about the journey , and trying for your personal best on any given day . As a newby , shoot mostly for group size .

Chris
Aged airpistolero

Most will do 540 to 570..

Post by Aged airpistolero »

Those who shoot AP regularly will break the 540 barrier quite easily, in competition.
The very dedicated ones, and those are relatively frew, will do 570 or better, in competition.
560, achieved in competition, puts you in the "upper halv" of the AP community, in my opinion. A fairly acceptable score.
Airguntech

Post by Airguntech »

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I have some work to do on my scores. Only shooting about mid 450's at present. I know the gun is capable because off a firm rest I can get tight groups around the 10 ring.
Just need to practice practice and practice...:)

Airguntech

Re: Most will do 540 to 570..

Post by Guest »

Aged airpistolero wrote:Those who shoot AP regularly will break the 540 barrier quite easily, in competition.
The very dedicated ones, and those are relatively frew, will do 570 or better, in competition.
560, achieved in competition, puts you in the "upper halv" of the AP community, in my opinion. A fairly acceptable score.
To modify your opinion slightly, to break 540 regularily is not that achievable for the average shooter, I would say 525/530 is more on the money.
560 achieved in competition puts you in more than the upper half in the AP community, maybe in regional/national competition, but not in the overall community.
I would guess that a 530 score would be about midway across the whole community.
tleddy

AP Scores

Post by tleddy »

I took a look at the ISSF winning scores in 2004 on the International scene on the ISSF website. Winners in Men's AP ran from the mid-270s to one high of 292...just looking I would say you need to be in the 280s to get to the final ten most of the time.

[quote]http://www.issfnews.com/shooters/whoisw ... &x=27&y=12

If you copy/paste the URL above into your browser, you will see the same information from which I gleaned the above opinion.

Tillman