Traveling with guns

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

B.T.Carstensen

Traveling with guns

Post by B.T.Carstensen »

I have done some searchs for the info I am looking for and have come up empty and as I am going to the JO I need to finalize my plans soon.
I have two gun cases that measure 50.5L 14W 6H (Storm case 3300)Looking online and calling the airline it looks like they are too big I have been looking all over the place for any good gun case that will meet the airlines requirements and my requirements, I have not found anything. Does any one have any advice and does anyone know how offen they actually check the size of the bag.
Also I have a big equipment bag that is also too big 31.3L 20.4W 15.5H (Storm case 2975) and the only other case that I have that will fit all of my shooting stuff is bigger then my storm case. Any feed back would help.

<>Brian<>
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

It's not that they won't take the larger cases, they just make you pay for oversize or overweight baggage. We fly with Pelican double rifle cases. http://pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1750

A takedown case http://pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1700 may work for you, but the assembly/disassembly can be a nuisance.
B.T.Carstensen

Post by B.T.Carstensen »

I know they will take it but $100 bucks for a oversized bag, means I am going to spend an extra $250 just to get my 2 rifles on the plan. I am looking at sending one of the rifles UPS but that not going to be cheap either.

<>Brian<>
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Plan on $100 for EACH oversize or overweight bag ..... each way.

It sure is a pain I know.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Did you ask regqarding sporting equipment? Many airlines exempt 1 piece of sporting equipment and it doesn't have to fit the baggage size (within reason) ie golf clubs, skis ect. Plus the bulkiest piece in your other bag is probably your jacket. Carry it on the plane and ask them to hang it up when you board just like any other jacket.
B.T.Carstensen

Post by B.T.Carstensen »

Richard H wrote:Did you ask regqarding sporting equipment? Many airlines exempt 1 piece of sporting equipment and it doesn't have to fit the baggage size (within reason) ie golf clubs, skis ect. Plus the bulkiest piece in your other bag is probably your jacket. Carry it on the plane and ask them to hang it up when you board just like any other jacket.
Yes, the guy I talked to said the case was to big even for sporting equipment, but he also so told me that my air cylinder whould be allowed on as long as it was empty, that didn't make alot of sense to me.

<>Brian<>
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

but he also so told me that my air cylinder whould be allowed on as long as it was empty, that didn't make alot of sense to me.
It will never make sense.

Just amke sure your cylinder is attached to the rifle.

If someone wanted to make a bunch of money off of rifle shooters, they would make a rifle case that had the same outside dimensions as a golf club case. We've had folks with larger golf cases than our rifle cases not get charges and we got hit with an $85 per case fee. Like I said, it will never make sense.

I took a rifle out to Camp Perry a few months ago, and broke it down and fit it into my O/U shotgun case ... Other than TSA getting greasy fingerprints all over my scope & rifle, no problem.